Alaska bound ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alaska bound ?

An adventure bike is not dainty. It should be the mechanical equivalent of the adventure horse.

I dubbed mine The Mule...not so fast but carries a lot, goes a long way on not much fodder err fuel and never breaks down.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-05%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%2525205%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%25252011.14.58%252520AM.jpg

Yup.....or a KLR650 if you want a bit less road manners and a bit more off pavement capability. Plus they are cheap and durable and lighter.

CB500x also is a Swiss Army knife bike that you can transform into a very capable Adventure machine...

honda-cb500x-adventure-exhaust-shield.jpg

Sounds like a Vstrom to me.
Exactly. My versys was never really meant for dirt either but does fine with tkc80 tires and a little suspension tweaking.
Dirt meaning gravel roads and light two track. It's horrid in single track but I do it anyway cause I can.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Exactly. My versys was never really meant for dirt either but does fine with tkc80 tires and a little suspension tweaking.
Dirt meaning gravel roads and light two track. It's horrid in single track but I do it anyway cause I can.

ah ok, so the versys can do essentially the same stuff that the Strom can?(On the gravel/fire roads/mild offroading?)
With the right tires etc ofcourse

ah ok, so the versys can do essentially the same stuff that the Strom can?(On the gravel/fire roads/mild offroading?)
With the right tires etc ofcourse
Yes but the vstrom is a "bit better", only because it has more suitable rim/tire sizes for dirt use. Because of that it also has more tire choices.

CB500x also is a Swiss Army knife bike that you can transform into a very capable Adventure machine...

honda-cb500x-adventure-exhaust-shield.jpg

What of the NC750X?

(not going to mention africa twin lol)

Nevermind apparently larger rim sizes make for better 'off the road' performance so that rules the Hondas out(except the Africa twin i guess)

Last edited:
any of the Honda 700 series motors are bletch...

A KLR650 is a low cost, durable and reliable bike that goes and goes....not a lot of comfort but with a Sargent seat it's tolerable for 4-500 KM days and with a 21" front wheel is decent off pavement and light single track.

If you want to roam on the cheap ....can't miss.

kawasaki-klr650-ab9t6071.jpg

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016-kawa...ouring-baja-road-trip-and-killer-tacos#page-9

I just replaced the 606s with Mitas E7s on mine and what a treat on the pavement...much fun and they seem okay off pavement which for me these days is very light duty as I'm riding solo or with another Burgman 650 rider.

No where near the street manners or miles eating ability of the Stroms but a very versatile bike....

What is bletch?

I googled to no avail..

I'll have to test ride the strom and the Klr along with the africa twin this summer....

Though i suspect the AT will probably not be as reliable as it is a new bike and likely full of bugs as new products often are...

And the other 2 have been tested through hell and high water.

Bleccccch
I suspect you get the drift.

If you are serious about Alaska and have the budget a Vstrom or AT is better for the long distances.

If you intend to do more off pavement the KLR is a budget alternative well proven.....but a single 650 thumper has a degree of vibration ..... Grip Buddies recommended and a Sargent seat. But the bike is light and reliable ....if you are height challenged tho might not be your cuppa.

A big feature of both the KLR and the Vstrom 650 is the big tank/long range. The CBX500 tank is not so big but it sips gas.
Windscreen, luggage etc all will play into distance on a tank. The Vstrom has a convenient spot to park a spare gas can.

7be65fa8b6aaabd53dc51bb4b7725548

Last edited:
Nice pic, im guessing you've been up there?

I've narrowed the criteria down and the V strom or the AT fits well i think:

-Comfort
-Ability to do mild offroading
-Ability to do fairly large distances with ease

I applaud those who do it on klrs but I dont think ill be one of them

I've been thinking a lot about the same (adv) bikes, pretty sure the AT will be my next bike. I care more about dirt worthiness than street. It ticks all the boxes for me and adds very little complexity that I don't want anyway. I'm not into tons of electronics as I do my own maintenance and l like my bikes fairly simple.

I've been thinking a lot about the same (adv) bikes, pretty sure the AT will be my next bike. I care more about dirt worthiness than street. It ticks all the boxes for me and adds very little complexity that I don't want anyway. I'm not into tons of electronics as I do my own maintenance and l like my bikes fairly simple.

Found myself at Sturgess Cycle the other day looking for blue chip Triumph parts. Took the opportunity to seriously creep the AT. Standing beside it I felt like Gaston Rahier in gogo boots. Nice bike. Too nice. Wouldn't want to drop it or work on it. Thankfully the colour scheme screams man-on-a-mission.

Found myself at Sturgess Cycle the other day looking for blue chip Triumph parts. Took the opportunity to seriously creep the AT. Standing beside it I felt like Gaston Rahier in gogo boots. Nice bike. Too nice. Wouldn't want to drop it or work on it. Thankfully the colour scheme screams man-on-a-mission.
I hear ya but when you look at its direct competition it's still fairly simple to own and maintain. Looking at ktm, bmw, triumph tiger etc.
Next bike has to have a full frame under the engine, not stressed member as in my Versys, I'm tired of going around logs etc. That rules out the versys, vstrom etc.
We'll see what comes as I plan on adding a small offroad oriented bike this summer, that'll make the versys more of my road bike only.
Want to see yamaha t7 next year too, hoping it shakes things up a bit.

I hear ya but when you look at its direct competition it's still fairly simple to own and maintain. Looking at ktm, bmw, triumph tiger etc.
Next bike has to have a full frame under the engine, not stressed member as in my Versys, I'm tired of going around logs etc. That rules out the versys, vstrom etc.
We'll see what comes as I plan on adding a small offroad oriented bike this summer, that'll make the versys more of my road bike only.
Want to see yamaha t7 next year too, hoping it shakes things up a bit.

T7 coming in 17 or 18?

T7 looks tantalizing. If I were on the market (but had something to ride in the meantime) I'd wait for the T7.

T7 coming in 17 or 18?
T7 is expected in 2018.
T7 looks tantalizing. If I were on the market (but had something to ride in the meantime) I'd wait for the T7.
I'm definitely not making a move until next year. I really want to see what comes of the t7 and have yet to actually ride the AT.

Back
Top Bottom