How long do I have after getting my M2 before I have to take M road test or....? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long do I have after getting my M2 before I have to take M road test or....?

Serb

Straight forward question - how long do I have after getting my M2 before I have to take M road test or risk having to start all over?

If that is what happens, that is... I can't find any clear information on that.

I did my full M with RTI....it was funny how many were a few months out from 5 years. Honestly there is no reason to delay it really, if you are confident and already have a bunch of seat time. Personally did mine right at 18 months, as I wanted to get it over with and also remove any restrictions from test riding bikes at demo days.

M2 is good for 5 years -- if it expires, you have to start over. The earliest you can take the M after getting the M2 is 22 months, but if you took an approved motorcycle course to get your M2, it's 18 months. See: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence#section-4

I don't think this is correct. I believe you can fall under the 18 month timeline IF you take a recognized course to exit M2 to full M, not if you took a recognized course to go from M1 to M2. The wording on the MTO website seems to back this up.

After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M licence.If you take a recognized Motorcycle Safety Course, you can take the test after just 18 months.

My interpretation is based on the bold part above - it says "Take", not "Took" (and mentions nothing of previous M1 exit testing), and the rest of the phraseology backs it up.

You have 5 years from the day you got your M1.

Also not correct as I interpret it - based on the MTO website, it states 5 years from the date you get your M2, not M1.

From above link:

Once you get your M2 licence, you have up to five years to finish the learning process. After five years, if you do not get your full licence, you will need to start over.

Both the above are not really 100% clear, admittedly. Perhaps I'll pop into a MTO office (There's a nice quiet one near one of the places I work) and inquire.

I don't think this is correct. I believe you can fall under the 18 month timeline IF you take a recognized course to exit M2 to full M, not if you took a recognized course to go from M1 to M2. The wording on the MTO website seems to back this up.

No Course:
- Write M1
- Pass M1 exit test and get M2 after 60-90 days, otherwise M1 expires in 90 days.
- Pass M2 exit test and get M after 22 months, otherwise M2 expires in 5 years.

With Course:
- Write M1
- Pass M1 exit test and get M2 via course after 60-90 days, otherwise M1 expires in 90 days.
- Pass M2 exit test and get M after 18 months, otherwise M2 expires in 5 years.

I did my M2 exit test (for full M) right at the 18 month mark. There is no difference for the M2 exit (to full 2) if you do that via a course or MTO, with the exception of getting a refresher, and a potentially higher pass rate.

Last edited:
Yes, it appears you're right. On the DriveTest website (vs MTO) the wording is far clearer:

[FONT=&quot]If you finish an MTO-approved motorcycle safety course, you can take your Class M road test after approximately 18 months (550 days) instead of 22 months.[/FONT]

One more thing to note for anyone going for their M1...at least when I did mine, there were two prices. The higher listed price was for both the M1 (and G1) written tests, as well as the M1 exit road test. If you tell them you are taking the course to get your M2, they should only charge you for the written tests, thus saving you the money for the MTO M1 exit test.

Looking at the Drive Test site, it seems the written only is $15.75 whereas the one combined with the M1 exit test (if done through the MTO vs course) is $77.25.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom