Nice Sedans that can Tow? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nice Sedans that can Tow?

I could swear when I was looking into these they did not have a great tow rating. Then again almost nothing does these days. My SUV is only rated for 1500 lbs.

My only suggestion is an older Subaru Legacy Wagon. Rated for 3500 lbs. Even the Forester of the same year is only 1500 lbs I think.

Interestingly, in Europe my 944 was rated for 2700 lbs, which is almost what the car weighs, lol. In North America people will laugh at the idea of putting a hitch on it at all or say no more than 1000 lbs. Although I've seen posts by a guy that towed his track 944 with his street 944.

I'm still trying to find a manual SUV with AWD that will tow 5000 lbs and it doesn't really seem to exist. Maybe a Hummer.

I found from looking at British caravan towing videos that identical cars from America <--> Britain that the Brits have much higher tow ratings. I think there's some sort of non-engineering political/insurance cya angle to that. I regularly towed est. 800-900 lbs. with my Hyundai Accent. I had trouble sourcing a hitch for that because not approved for towing. You could feel it but no problem.

I found from looking at British caravan towing videos that identical cars from America Britain that the Brits have much higher tow ratings. I think there's some sort of non-engineering political/insurance cya angle to that. I regularly towed est. 800-900 lbs. with my Hyundai Accent. I had trouble sourcing a hitch for that because not approved for towing. You could feel it but no problem.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Elantra actually has a way high towing rating, surprisingly.

Edit: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627135

Last edited:
tons of cheap x-cop cars out there
Crown Victoria has a surprisingly low tow rating.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Most sedans that I'm seeing that actually have a tow rating are still a paltry 1,000lb capacity. Engine's likely just fine to tow 250% of that rating but I'm not too confident in the trans/brakes.

Venza is a SUV.

No to Crown Vic.

The Chrysler 300 with the V6 will tow 2000K all day long - I know because I've done it. The 300C with the V8 will go upwards of 3000 IIRC.

Proper class 3 hitches are available for both.

Both are reliable cars, built here in Canada, and look and feel like a much more expensive luxury car. Ours has been hands down one of the best cars we've ever owned.

The Chrysler 300 with the V6 will tow 2000K all day long - I know because I've done it. The 300C with the V8 will go upwards of 3000 IIRC.

Both are reliable cars, built here in Canada, and look and feel like a much more expensive luxury car. Ours has been hands down one of the best cars we've ever owned.

Careful careful, Trumpeting home grown goodness is a no no. Wouldn't want to see you labelled a protectionist.

I could swear when I was looking into these they did not have a great tow rating. Then again almost nothing does these days. My SUV is only rated for 1500 lbs.

My only suggestion is an older Subaru Legacy Wagon. Rated for 3500 lbs. Even the Forester of the same year is only 1500 lbs I think.

Interestingly, in Europe my 944 was rated for 2700 lbs, which is almost what the car weighs, lol. In North America people will laugh at the idea of putting a hitch on it at all or say no more than 1000 lbs. Although I've seen posts by a guy that towed his track 944 with his street 944.

I'm still trying to find a manual SUV with AWD that will tow 5000 lbs and it doesn't really seem to exist. Maybe a Hummer.
I'd like a hummer

Sent from the Purple Zone

the 300 is def a nice and capable car.

Personally id prefer the Charger, or the G8 from Pontiac. Any of these 3 should be able to meet your needs.

Hadn't thought of the 300 but that's a definite good option. As much as I love the old G8 it's tough finding one not abused or high-mile'd (plus high fuel epa compared to a V6 300).

G8 GT is a really nice ride, but the tow rating is "only" 2000. Plus, IDK... something makes me hesitant about using one for towing for some reason. The hitch will have to be really low, you may have to notch the skirt on the rear bumper, I have my doubts about the suspension being suited to it... the drivetrain would absolutely be up to it though. Pretty much exactly what you would find in a 6.0L Silverado of the same year, with a fancier diff and no transfer case

I have a 2015 WRX with a class 1 hitch for my track bike and trailer. The trailer is a bare skeletal one like a Stinger so it doesn't not weigh alot.

The car is able to pull and brake just fine. Been hauling my track bike for almost 2 season and no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by yodude

tons of cheap x-cop cars out there

Crown Victoria has a surprisingly low tow rating.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

turns out cv is a towing turd

I have a 2015 WRX with a class 1 hitch for my track bike and trailer. The trailer is a bare skeletal one like a Stinger so it doesn't not weigh alot.

The car is able to pull and brake just fine. Been hauling my track bike for almost 2 season and no issues.

Oh it'll tow fine. You'll just void the warranty.

There's the crux of the matter. What interest would Subaru have in listing a realistic towing capacity? It might cost them money over the long haul(no pun intended) on warranty but would they sell more vehicles to offset that?

25K will get you a 2 year old Chrysler 300 S. My buddy at work has one, very nice riding and quiet.

25K will get you a 2 year old Chrysler 300 S. My buddy at work has one, very nice riding and quiet.

I love the new normal. Houses worth living in are worth 1 million$ and a used Chrysler goes for 25g or k or whatever. Time to get a student loan and join the partaayyyy. No pun intended.

Not concerned as I lease my cars. How is it that the Impreza can tow per Subaru but it's 268 HP/ 250lb ft of torque big brother can't?

I returned my last leased WRX that also had a hitch with no complications from Subaru.

Back
Top Bottom