Nice Sedans that can Tow? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nice Sedans that can Tow?

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Would like to go back to a midsize/full sedan from my SUV and has decent fuel mileage. Needs to be able to tow a single axle utility trailer (I'm guessing around 1200lbs) plus another 1000lbs of toys loaded on it.
Would like something nice looking and somewhat interesting to drive (ie. not a Camry) but after looking at WRX, Mazda6, ATS none of them recommend towing.
Plus I'd prefer to stay away from turbos and premium fuel.
No compacts. Wagons are ok.
Something in the $25k used range. Any recommendations?

Dodge Magnum R/T can tow 3800lbs. Finding a lot of sedans stuck at 2000

Edit: Some years of Subaru Outback can tow 3500. Current model only manages 2500ish "with trailer brakes"

Last edited:
Volvo S60 is a nice sedan, rated to 3500lbs. You'd have to get the hitch installed aftermarket as they were Euro offerings and not in NA, but the connectors are all there for plug and play.

Jetta Sportwagen can tow 2,000lbs. I guess it's a compact though.

Last edited:
Volvo S60 is a nice sedan, rated to 3500lbs. You'd have to get the hitch installed aftermarket as they were Euro offerings and not in NA, but the connectors are all there for plug and play.

Isn't it amazing how towing in North America is harder on a car than towing in Europe.

Isn't it amazing how towing in North America is harder on a car than towing in Europe.
How else do you justify all the trucks?

Either way, a 3.0 inline 6 in a sedan or SUV can tow no problem.

How else do you justify all the trucks?

Either way, a 3.0 inline 6 in a sedan or SUV can tow no problem.

I don't know about Europe but in north america we often see people overloading the tow and trailer

Check out Toyota Venza. Great vehicle to drive lots of room. And decent on regular fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ever been to a Goldwing rally?
But that ok. They're on the "darkside", car tire means quadruple towing capacity.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Subscribed. Was thinking the same thing recently. I have looked into the new escape with the 2.0 and tow package it's rated at 3500. Best of fuel mileage and towing capacity that I have found.

I'd say anything with a V6 should be able to meet your needs.

4cyl may do it....but it's tougher on the car...

I'd say anything with a V6 should be able to meet your needs.

4cyl may do it....but it's tougher on the car...

suspension and brakes need to keep up as well.

suspension and brakes need to keep up as well.

Of course! I meant from a purely power standpoint. But I think 2,000lbs shouldn't be much of an issue for a mid-size/large sedan.

Funny story: my neighbour purchased a brand new Escape with the 2.0 Turbo because of its tow rating of 3500 lbs.
He was gonna use it to tow a 3000+ lbs camping trailer for a trip to Cap Breton.
Couple weeks later, after their return, I noticed a brand F150 Ecoboost in the driveway.
As he told me, he could get the trailer to move but had no extra power for hills or passing.
The pick-up works much better.

Ford Crown Victoria

I could swear when I was looking into these they did not have a great tow rating. Then again almost nothing does these days. My SUV is only rated for 1500 lbs.

My only suggestion is an older Subaru Legacy Wagon. Rated for 3500 lbs. Even the Forester of the same year is only 1500 lbs I think.

Interestingly, in Europe my 944 was rated for 2700 lbs, which is almost what the car weighs, lol. In North America people will laugh at the idea of putting a hitch on it at all or say no more than 1000 lbs. Although I've seen posts by a guy that towed his track 944 with his street 944.

I'm still trying to find a manual SUV with AWD that will tow 5000 lbs and it doesn't really seem to exist. Maybe a Hummer.

I'm still trying to find a manual SUV with AWD that will tow 5000 lbs and it doesn't really seem to exist. Maybe a Hummer.

Porsche Cayenne? IIRC those have surprisingly good tow ratings

Porsche Cayenne? IIRC those have surprisingly good tow ratings
Yeah but those still cost a bit too much for me. I'm worried about reliability and repair costs too as I tend to keep vehicles until they're very old. But it's pretty much number 1 on my list. BMW X5 is up there too but same concerns as the Porsche but I also have to be careful what year to get on the X5 as the older ones aren't really AWD/4WD so much as just fully open center differential.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom