Ontario Liberals at it again (EV incentives this time) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Liberals at it again (EV incentives this time)

mxs

Site Supporter
This time, they quietly lifted the caps on EV incentives (which they announced themselves a year or so ago when they significantly increased them) .... because people who have the budget to buy Tesla vehicle need the tax payers help. Right? Makes sense, to them I guess ...

EVIP began in 2010 and, as of January 1, 2017, has been updated to further support the goals of Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan by:
Making EVs even more affordable;
Incenting EVs with larger batteries and larger seating capacity; and
Ensuring that zero emission vehicles are more strongly supported.
These changes will serve to encourage faster EV adoption and contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions from our transportation sector.

They truly are becoming less and less competent, as far as these type of handouts go (you can include the electricity prices into that as well). I am not against the EV adoption and some form of incentives per say (where it's warranted), but why in the world do they think that this is a good idea, to hand more taxpayers money to people who very much do not need them to make their purchase??? Maybe, just maybe they really lost a taste to govern after the next election? Or perhaps this is just what their Liberal policy evolved into I guess, so it's the new Liberal norm.

I think it's good that there's more incentives for EV vehicles. I don't know the details of this change but will read about it more after work. Buick is coming out with a new one (Bolt). There are other options outside of TESLA and if it does make the cars more affordable then why not? They also have a program to help bring the fast charges to homes by making them more affordable. Tough call on this one for me until I read it all.

She's just throwing meat to her base; election coming up, dontchyaknow?

@Blackfin....let the vote buying begin! Election is coming...started with the blocking of road tolls...now this EV thing...I look forward to seeing what's next...

They should incentivize EVs and hybrids under $50k only IMO

She's just throwing meat to her base; election coming up, dontchyaknow?

Apparently meat is also being thrown in large six figure quantities to Ontario Power Generation VIP's. Efficiency bonuses? (Choke, puke)

Eh, they're not too far off...

The reason I'll support this program for a couple more years is because I believe its still helping to grow the EV market. Maybe 2 more years though, but thats it.

EVIP has the following parameters:

- Vehicles with a battery capacity from 5 to 16 kilowatt-hours (kWh) are eligible for incentives ranging between $6,000 to $10,000 based upon the battery size of the vehicle;
- Vehicles with a battery capacity of larger than 16kWh are also eligible for an additional $3,000 incentive;
- Vehicles with five or more seats are also eligible for an additional $1,000 incentive;
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 to $150,000 are eligible for a maximum incentive value of $3,000;
- Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and PHEVS with an MSRP of $150,000 or greater are not eligible for an incentive; and,
-Leased vehicles are eligible for an EVIP incentive. Vehicles with a 12 month lease term will receive 33% of the incentive, 24 month lease term receives 66% of the incentive and leased vehicles with a 36 month or longer term will receive the full incentive.

Went to buy a Hybrid last year, and couldn't find one big enough. Of course we have a family of five, because we have to support all of these indexed gov't pensions in the future for people who don't need the money. In the meantime they raise my taxes, and utilities through the roof, and give me no breaks for the family.

I want a bicycle grant! Absolutely zero emissions, way greener, reduces congestion, improves health...

@Blackfin....let the vote buying begin! Election is coming...started with the blocking of road tolls...now this EV thing...I look forward to seeing what's next...
There's also the electricity rebate for low income households, plus the delivery charge reduction for northern residents. There's probably more neither one of us know about.

What has Patrick Brown done to show the province he's a viable alternative?

Not say anything stupid. That's almost like a perfect candidate these days.

EDIT
Oh yeah, and he ****** off the religious nutbars in the Niagara region. I like that about him.

Last edited:
I want a bicycle grant! Absolutely zero emissions, way greener, reduces congestion, improves health...

I heard the company I work for now gives you $2 each day that you commute on bicycle! I can't wait until spring! Does that count for grant/incentive??

It would be great if they gave you a shower.

Not say anything stupid. That's almost like a perfect candidate these days.

But it seems like he has not said anything, period. It's one thing to not say stupid things (like Tory with school funding; Hudak openly assailing public employees and shooting his campaign in the gut in the process) but Brown has not been in the spotlight at all. Wynne's got a huge constituency from which she can purchase votes (immigrants & ethnic minorities, public sector workers including teachers) who will likely vote for her no matter how bigly she's ****ed up debt and hydro and utilities and carbon taxes. Brown needs to develop a platform and make pinpoint strategic moves to convince these people that he won't **** up what they enjoy under Wynne while being a much better manager of the bureaucracy.

I'd vote PC (as I always have) but he needs to mend fences with the teachers and public sector and engage ethnic minorities to wrest some of that vote away from Wynne.

I sincerely hope he's got it in him to engage, not alienate, to be a "progressive conservative" versus a Tea Party acolyte (Hudak) or a Trump-bot.

I heard the company I work for now gives you $2 each day that you commute on bicycle! I can't wait until spring! Does that count for grant/incentive??

so you drive and park a block away and walk in with your fold up bike and helmet, lol
$10/wk x 50/wks= $500/yr lol =1 - 2 car payments

It would be great if they gave you a shower.

you asking for more trouble, lol

co-ed showers
what about transgenders?
gross ppl
how often will it be cleaned?
slip and falls...big one here

I agree with you, probably better if they had shower and locker areas (secure bike storage also).

Back
Top Bottom