Sprocket swap !!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sprocket swap !!!

wantsabike

I've got myself a 05 Zx636r believe it is stock sprockets but not 100% sure

anyway I was wondering and checking online about different setups on these bikes and some people are at -1/stock and say it give a little more umph to her but some are saying that the perfect setup is -1/+2 now if I decide to swap my sprockets out, should I buy a new chain as well ? Chain has roughly 5-6000km if that !! But I know everyone says to swap em all together ... and if I do swap I'll be staying with oem brand if I can as the aftermarket ones are a tad thinner hen oem products for sprockets and you can leaks on countershaft sprocket

so is there anyone in here that has the same setup and can vouche on the setup first hand ?? Entire reasoning I rarely ever wind my bike up wide open but I do love taking off like a sob ? Plus with that setup it should wheelie under just pure power nice and smooth. Wanna be able to roll on the throttle and have her lift nicely and soft not hard and violent lol

any help would be grwa guys ?

You can't really get different OEM sprocket sizes from Kawi. Aftermarket stuff is 520 pitch so you'll have to get a new chain too.

You can't really get different OEM sprocket sizes from Kawi. Aftermarket stuff is 520 pitch so you'll have to get a new chain too.

I have a DID chain and believe it is 520 now but I might be wrong and bike is in storage now lol o-ring style chain

I have a DID chain and believe it is 520 now but I might be wrong and bike is in storage now lol o-ring style chain
If they are OEM sprockets then it's likely a 525 chain

If they are OEM sprockets then it's likely a 525 chain

Ya very possible I'm not sure and can't really check or count the teeth being as it in storage lol but if I member right it does have a 520 on it and from a online gear/sprocket/speed/rpm calculator my sprockets should be stock on the bike so maybe the chain is as well

but none the less does anyone have this setup to reflect on how it would act and be ?

Ooooook then.

-1/+2 will make the bike accelerate more quickly at the cost of a lower top speed. Simple as that

525 vs 520 relates to the WIDTH of the chain and the pitch (distance between pins), not the final drive ratio (of the number of teeth on the rear sprocket divided by the number of teeth on the front one - which is what the website you linked to is related to).

Just get 520 sprockets

For mosport stock front +2 rear, for grand bend -1,+2 or 4, Bogie - 1 stock rear, for highway same as mosport, unless you like to cruise at 9000 rpm.

For mosport stock front +2 rear, for grand bend -1,+2 or 4, Bogie - 1 stock rear, for highway same as mosport, unless you like to cruise at 9000 rpm.

well if my math is right from going off what I assume is stock to -1/+2 at 100km I'd be cruising at 5908rpm rather then the 5269rpm I run right now .... but that's baseing my bike has stock sprocket count and roughly 27ish km I'm losing off the top speed I don't know about you guys but I rarely ever push mine more then 230km since I've owned it I have almost wound her out once ok twice cuz I had to put a nasty turbo elentra in its place ?

Even so, lets assume this as it may not justify wind and resistance and reality so I'd say 6700 but defiantly not 9 hahaha

Last edited:
For street riding, you'll appreciate quicker acceleration than top speed. My commuter bike I went up 1 in the front to reduce RPM by 500. Felt it at first, then got used to it. My 2nd bike (same bike different year) has at least 1 down in the front and an aftermarket pipe. It accelerates a lot better and is more inclined to get me going over the limit faster. It's a combo of the gearing, the pipe and 100k km less on the engine. :D

For street riding, you'll appreciate quicker acceleration than top speed. My commuter bike I went up 1 in the front to reduce RPM by 500. Felt it at first, then got used to it. My 2nd bike (same bike different year) has at least 1 down in the front and an aftermarket pipe. It accelerates a lot better and is more inclined to get me going over the limit faster. It's a combo of the gearing, the pipe and 100k km less on the engine. :D

ya my bike has been fully piped and has had some fuel mapping done too

ya my bike has been fully piped and has had some fuel mapping done too

if its a street bike, and sprockets and chain are in good condition, i would ride it as is. when the time comes for replacement you could try some changes.
would have a different answer if you were racing it (drag or circuit).
in general you want to replace sprockets and chain at the same time.

well if my math is right from going off what I assume is stock to -1/+2 at 100km I'd be cruising at 5908rpm rather then the 5269rpm I run right now .... but that's baseing my bike has stock sprocket count and roughly 27ish km I'm losing off the top speed I don't know about you guys but I rarely ever push mine more then 230km since I've owned it I have almost wound her out once ok twice cuz I had to put a nasty turbo elentra in its place ��

Even so, lets assume this as it may not justify wind and resistance and reality so I'd say 6700 but defiantly not 9 hahaha

trying not to be a drag, but i really think you need to have someone direct you towards the racetrack. be smart and save the hi speed fun and racing for the track. it is the right thing to do and will save you from a sh8tload of trouble, or worse. think and be smart. toronto motosport park has drag racing, and there are plenty of track day providers - pick your track. someone with your gung ho attitude may very well turn out to be a good racer...

Last edited:
Drop the front 1 tooth. Cheap and if you like it replace it all when the time comes but it'll last probably 10,000km or more if your stuff is already in decent shape. I've got a couple 525 chains that have 800km on one and 2000km on the other. $50ea if you want to come get em. Get your sprockets and a river link and I could slap it on for a few $$'s

If you're installing a new chain anyhow, I have a preference for installing a bigger rear sprocket as opposed to a smaller front one. It gets the chain away from the swingarm and it reduces the chain-pull forces.

trying not to be a drag, but i really think you need to have someone direct you towards the racetrack. be smart and save the hi speed fun and racing for the track. it is the right thing to do and will save you from a sh8tload of trouble, or worse. think and be smart. toronto motosport park has drag racing, and there are plenty of track day providers - pick your track. someone with your gung ho attitude may very well turn out to be a good racer...

yea but my problem with being in a track I'll push myself to no point of return I know what I'm like in a "safe" closed circuit lol and yes due to those flaws (imo that is) it makes me a good racer or rider on closed circuits

with that being said I have my limits with the street and don't tell me you don't speed or have fun on street we all know we do but it's how far we push ourselves in the street personally I like to kill stop lights I like the bottom end grunt and snap

Drop the front 1 tooth. Cheap and if you like it replace it all when the time comes but it'll last probably 10,000km or more if your stuff is already in decent shape. I've got a couple 525 chains that have 800km on one and 2000km on the other. $50ea if you want to come get em. Get your sprockets and a river link and I could slap it on for a few $$'s

But gotta member i can use my chain length i have now with a -1/+2 sprocket as it the same length as having a stock setup

Back
Top Bottom