Sprocket swap !!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sprocket swap !!!

If you're installing a new chain anyhow, I have a preference for installing a bigger rear sprocket as opposed to a smaller front one. It gets the chain away from the swingarm and it reduces the chain-pull forces.

Most ZX6R come with a stock 16 T front so going down to 15 is not at issue. 14 yes it gets a little tight and I dont like doing the 14, but 15 is no problem...I do the font on my tack bike because it allows me to change my gearing slightly for different tracks without having to cut my chain or even remove the rear wheel. like CTMP where I need to run stock so I dont top out on the straight, other tracks I run -1 in the front

I've got myself a 05 Zx636r believe it is stock sprockets but not 100% sure

anyway I was wondering and checking online about different setups on these bikes and some people are at -1/stock and say it give a little more umph to her but some are saying that the perfect setup is -1/+2 now if I decide to swap my sprockets out, should I buy a new chain as well ? Chain has roughly 5-6000km if that !! But I know everyone says to swap em all together ... and if I do swap I'll be staying with oem brand if I can as the aftermarket ones are a tad thinner hen oem products for sprockets and you can leaks on countershaft sprocket

so is there anyone in here that has the same setup and can vouche on the setup first hand ?? Entire reasoning I rarely ever wind my bike up wide open but I do love taking off like a sob �� Plus with that setup it should wheelie under just pure power nice and smooth. Wanna be able to roll on the throttle and have her lift nicely and soft not hard and violent lol

any help would be grwa guys ��

what is your budget? I suggest always changing sprockets and chains as a set, because they are mating parts they all wear together. Putting an old chain on new sprockets will not get you the best life span out of your sprockets. As the wear in the chain will affect your new sprockets, it wont ruin them right away but it will not give you the full life potential. this also depends on how well the chain was maintained, if it was not adjusted and cleaned regularly, it may only have 5000-6000 km on it but it could be stretched or have kinks already. Some people do not do anything or barely any maintenance on their chain/sprockets, so I have seen mangled sprockets and chain with even less then 6000km on them. So you cant judge them all the same, it really depends on the current condition of your chain

If you can post a picture of your rear sprocket I can tell you if your sprocket is OEM or not....If your sprocket looks like a saw blade with all the teeth hooked forward, and or you have kinks and tight spots in the chain, then its very likely you would benefit from changing all 3 as set

-1/+2 is very popular, I was told that was the best setup back in 2001 when I started riding. But people dont mention different bikes take that gearing slightly differently, so -1/+2 isn't exactly the same on every bike, but yet everyone says its the best regardless of what bike model or year you have, or even what kind or riding you do, and what your trying to get out of the swap. You simply say I want sprockets and everyone says -1/+2 before you even mention what bike you have....

The good thing about doing the front is fronts are cheap, so lets say you go -1/+2 and you think its too much after trying it out for a while, if you leave enough room in the chain length when you install it you can always swap out the front for a stock size for $30-40, rather then $80 or more for a rear sprocket....

Also keep in mind doing big gearing changes will affect your cruising RPM, the bike will rev higher faster, the gears will get shorter and you'll be going through the gear box on the street a lot more. Also your gas will not last as long...if that matters to you

Last edited:
what is your budget? I suggest always changing sprockets and chains as a set, because they are mating parts they all wear together. Putting an old chain on new sprockets will not get you the best life span out of your sprockets. As the wear in the chain will affect your new sprockets, it wont ruin them right away but it will not give you the full life potential. this also depends on how well the chain was maintained, if it was not adjusted and cleaned regularly, it may only have 5000-6000 km on it but it could be stretched or have kinks already. Some people do not do anything or barely any maintenance on their chain/sprockets, so I have seen mangled sprockets and chain with even less then 6000km on them. So you cant judge them all the same, it really depends on the current condition of your chain

If you can post a picture of your rear sprocket I can tell you if your sprocket is OEM or not....If your sprocket looks like a saw blade with all the teeth hooked forward, and or you have kinks and tight spots in the chain, then its very likely you would benefit from changing all 3 as set

-1/+2 is very popular, I was told that was the best setup back in 2001 when I started riding. But people dont mention different bikes take that gearing slightly differently, so -1/+2 isn't exactly the same on every bike, but yet everyone says its the best regardless of what bike model or year you have, or even what kind or riding you do, and what your trying to get out of the swap. You simply say I want sprockets and everyone says -1/+2 before you even mention what bike you have....

The good thing about doing the front is fronts are cheap, so lets say you go -1/+2 and you think its too much after trying it out for a while, if you leave enough room in the chain length when you install it you can always swap out the front for a stock size for $30-40, rather then $80 or more for a rear sprocket....

Also keep in mind doing big gearing changes will affect your cruising RPM, the bike will rev higher faster, the gears will get shorter and you'll be going through the gear box on the street a lot more. Also your gas will not last as long...if that matters to you

yes that is very true that if I went -1/+2 of it to much I can always go back o stock front but still have more bottom snap then I did before and actually I enjoy smacking through gears lol less. Prong for me lol and yes I realize that changing the sarin changes cruising rom and etc like I mentioned above for my math of Iam correct that is tho too. Maybe you missed it or didn't even notice lol but yes as far as a pic I'm gonna try to snap some in the morning and I'll post them up

yes that is very true that if I went -1/+2 of it to much I can always go back o stock front but still have more bottom snap then I did before and actually I enjoy smacking through gears lol less. Prong for me lol and yes I realize that changing the sarin changes cruising rom and etc like I mentioned above for my math of Iam correct that is tho too. Maybe you missed it or didn't even notice lol but yes as far as a pic I'm gonna try to snap some in the morning and I'll post them up

huh? prong sarin rom ... would be good if you took the time to write in understandable sentences

Well got into the shed and checked it the setup and I have a 520 chain as well as front 15t and 43 rear and the teeth are nice and square like thy should be

Well got into the shed and checked it the setup and I have a 520 chain as well as front 15t and 43 rear and the teeth are nice and square like thy should be

so is that -1 at the front, and stock at the rear? looks like previous owner already did what your thinking about. not a bad compromise for the street.

so is that -1 at the front, and stock at the rear? looks like previous owner already did what your thinking about. not a bad compromise for the street.

well from what I've found online it seems to be stock gearing for this bike

oh, i thought it was 16t stock. i dont know your bike. guys have posted lots of good info here for you to digest. Let us know what you decide to do.

for an 05 ZX6R that is stock gearing and chain size 15T front 43T rear and 520 pitch

Your choice if 14T is too small, some people like it some people say its too small....You can get one easily though, 13 youd have a very hard time finding a company that makes one that small...

Ive ran a 14 before but I prefer to not go smaller then 15 if possible, my 2013's use a 16T stock front so 15T is -1 for me.....Back when I owed a 2004 it was also 15T stock, and for many years I ran a 14T....So it can be done without problems IMO because I have done it

Same with the chain some people will say its ok to reuse an old chain on new sprockets, personally I say its a good thing to change all as a set. Its all preference, go with what you feel is best in your own opinion or who you trust.

Take it for what its worth, I know the ZX6R's from 2003-2017 like the back of my hand, I've owned many most of my friends and ridding buddies own one or 2 each in different years, and I've worked on or built a ton of them from top to bottom. Just my 2 cents based on my opinions Ive build up over the many years being a 636 fan boy

FYI if you do want a -1/+2 gearing combo without going down in the front a +5 (48T) rear would roughly equal the same gearing ratio as -1/+2 without changing the size of the front sprocket. I have ran a 50T rear when I did the one race I ever did I was running a 50T. Which on my 09 ZX6R the time was +10 so a little more then what your after.
-1 front is roughly equal to doing +3 in the rear

Then you'll have people pointing out your large rear sprocket saying your a stunt rider

Last edited:
for an 05 ZX6R that is stock gearing and chain size 15T front 43T rear and 520 pitch

Your choice if 14T is too small, some people like it some people say its too small....You can get one easily though, 13 youd have a very hard time finding a company that makes one that small...

Ive ran a 14 before but I prefer to not go smaller then 15 if possible, my 2013's use a 16T stock front so 15T is -1 for me.....Back when I owed a 2004 it was also 15T stock, and for many years I ran a 14T....So it can be done without problems IMO because I have done it

Same with the chain some people will say its ok to reuse an old chain on new sprockets, personally I say its a good thing to change all as a set. Its all preference, go with what you feel is best in your own opinion or who you trust.

Take it for what its worth, I know the ZX6R's from 2003-2017 like the back of my hand, I've owned many most of my friends and ridding buddies own one or 2 each in different years, and I've worked on or built a ton of them from top to bottom. Just my 2 cents based on my opinions Ive build up over the many years being a 636 fan boy

FYI if you do want a -1/+2 gearing combo without going down in the front a +5 (48T) rear would roughly equal the same gearing ratio as -1/+2 without changing the size of the front sprocket. I have ran a 50T rear when I did the one race I ever did I was running a 50T. Which on my 09 ZX6R the time was +10 so a little more then what your after.
-1 front is roughly equal to doing +3 in the rear

Then you'll have people pointing out your large rear sprocket saying your a stunt rider

yes that one thing I have come across from reading online is that a 14 front might be a tad small and have heard some have had them bind up before .... and if I go -1/+2 that is the stock length chain as well. So guess I'll have to decide whether i want to do both sprockets or just do the rear lol

Back
Top Bottom