Legal limit to horn volume? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legal limit to horn volume?

Trains have sound level limits for their horns (IIRC min and max levels). I would hope there would be something similar for road vehicles (as manufactured). I have never heard of actual sound level limits applied to an aftermarket horn.

nothing about a numerical limit, but must not mimic the siren of emergency personnel or be excessive. Wonder if there would be local by-laws that could come into play?

I've had a Stebel on my bikes for years now, never an issue and it gets people's attention better than stock horn (which usually sounds like a dying asthmatic goat).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

Sweet baby jesus - PSA - turn down your volume before clicking the youtube link ;)

Subaru guys usually add Hella Supertones which are 116db each and usually sold in pairs.

Subaru guys usually add Hella Supertones which are 116db each and usually sold in pairs.

Interesting, a manufacturer that provides useful data. What a concept.

So supertones are 110 to 118 dBA @ 2m per pair. So at typical horning distances (~30'?), the sound level should be roughly 98 to 106 dBA. That's loud enough to get someones attention, but not going to cause damage.

I would expect that most horns that look like car horns would get a pass from LEO's, most horns that look like train horns would draw some kind of ticket.

I'm not sure that you'd have room for the compressor, tank, or even the horns, for a proper train horn on a bike.

Somebody could probably do it, but it wouldn't be practical. In the meantime, I'll keep to my Steibel, and avoid any friendly toot-toot opportunities.

I'm not sure that you'd have room for the compressor, tank, or even the horns, for a proper train horn on a bike.

Somebody could probably do it, but it wouldn't be practical. In the meantime, I'll keep to my Steibel, and avoid any friendly toot-toot opportunities.

Trailer? I agree, even putting them on a truck looks ridiculous.

If I am bored later I will measure the horn on the VW to see what a factory horn measures.

The loudest portable noise maker I have ever heard was a Dynojet pulse jet engine. Unfortunately they don't start with the push of a button.

The loudest portable noise maker I have ever heard was a Dynojet pulse jet engine. Unfortunately they don't start with the push of a button.

Dad used to use a Skil saw, when the neighbor's got uppity with their loud music.

Dad used to use a Skil saw, when the neighbor's got uppity with their loud music.

Funny. When I was a kid in Parkdale two neighbours in adjoining semis had different schedules. One was retired and stayed up late but would hammer on the basement joists before going to bed to annoy his neighbour who had to get up early. Then the working one would get up at 4:00 AM for his early shift, clamp a piece of hardwood in his workshop vice and rip it with a Skil saw, twisting the blade. The retired one was a total jerk.

I have owned motorcycles where I thought the horn was not loud enough and others where I thought it was too loud.
Personally I prefer too loud, what with the blinkers most Toronto cage drivers like to wear.

Funny. When I was a kid in Parkdale two neighbours in adjoining semis had different schedules. One was retired and stayed up late but would hammer on the basement joists before going to bed to annoy his neighbour who had to get up early. Then the working one would get up at 4:00 AM for his early shift, clamp a piece of hardwood in his workshop vice and rip it with a Skil saw, twisting the blade. The retired one was a total jerk.

I had a similar problem with a neighbour who liked to play loud music until 2 or 3 AM.
It wasn't too bad in the winter, but in the summer with the windows open it was very annoying.
I asked him politely if he could lower the volume and was told to go f&&& myself.
I started getting up at 6 AM (only a few hours after the neighbour had gone to bed) and playing my music very loud.
He got the message.
Oh yes, my music was opera. The same aria over and over.

Last edited:
Limits to the volume of a horn are subjective, based on location and use, as posted by nfq.

Going back to my earlier link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfD1AFsb1I is funny but....

My main concern would be if the sound caused someone to swerve and crash could the horn blower be held liable for damages?

Having a extremely loud horn could be seen as intended action. Even if not held liable would anyone want to be responsible for a car swerving into an innocent party?

Back
Top Bottom