What's the most exotic/distant place you've ever ridden (In Ontario/Quebec) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the most exotic/distant place you've ever ridden (In Ontario/Quebec)

A full jerry tank doesn't slosh. And 40# is nothing on a 800# cruiser. I've hauled passengers weighing 4X (+) times that for many miles and they move around a lot more than a 40 pound jerry can ratchet strapped to a cargo rack ever will.

I used to carry around a 25L jerry can of gas on my Jetski all the time when I was doing long trips as I would never make it on some longer stretches without it.

It's not an issue. I'm not concerned at all about that part.

If you do end up putting a 25L jerry can on your rack, please post a picture! :)

Will do. I've test fit one of my cans already, no issues. Ratchet straps are your friend.

Are we talking luggage rack or rear seat? Big difference for the amount of weight either can carry! I know that a Givi rack is only rated for 22lbs. I know that it is a cautious rating, but still, I wouldn't want to double the recommended weight and then start bouncing over some hard bumps on a rough road and snap a weld.

luggagerack.jpg

It's mounted onto the rear seat frame structure which in turn is mounted straight to the frame. I've had far more than 40# on it before while travelling long distance before (my luggage bag alone when loaded up probably weighs 50-60#) and it doesn't move. A 200# person could probably sit on it for that matter and it wouldn't budge. It's a tank. Again, I'm not worried whatsoever about 40# on it.

Additional gear will go on my rear seat as required - the sissy bar (not in photo) is back on (my daughter doesn't like riding without it) so there's lots to strap to for all the cargo either side.

The total sum of everything I could possibly stack back there including the jerry can is still going to be less than the heaviest passengers I've had ride back there for thousands of kilometers.

Ummm please do visit Chiasibi but stay in Radisson please unless you want your bike locked up in the school gym for safety .....

It's the the only sane way to add Inuvit to the bucket list if you get out far enough and put your wheel in James Bay.

The James Bay Road is worth doing once and do book the power plant tour ( sad we did not ).

But ur not finding a cultural experience....

Sharing the road with caribou is unique... ;)

If you hunt there are threads on here.

Nice Air BnB in Rouyn-Noranda then you need fuel for the long stretch to Radisson 380 km and even if you bike can do it ..there is this tendency to push the speed up......and the load of bugs :D

If you want exotic. Don't just do the JBR, but since you're close ride as far as you can from any town in North America. The TransTaiga is just off the JBR and at the end of this 660 km gravel stretch you will able to say you rode as far away from a town (by road) as you can in North America. And then you can buy gas at 10$/ gallon and ride back.
Note that even rough camping spots are hard to come by on this road unless you stop at a native hunt camp. There are no logging roads or actually any roads that head off this one.

Looked the TransTiaga, but 2 cruisers and 1200 kilometres of gravel are not a good mix. ;)

Look into heading along the Ontario side of Lake Superior.

I've driven it a few times and would love to do it on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the James Bay road. I've done it twice, had tire trouble both times - this is a trip best done by those who are prepared for side-of-road incidents. If anything happens, you're very far away from practical help.

It's amazingly remote for being so close to Toronto. Both trips I've done it in 5 days - 2 days to Radisson, one day there for the dam tour and a rest, and 2 days home.

Have a close look at Google Maps and you have the opportunity to ride your bike in Nunavut, which is otherwise only accessible via air or boat.

The remoteness is spectacular. To me it's very exotic - a different language, a different culture, different everything. Well worth the time, if only to do it once.

Yes it's remote. The first time up we abandoned my buddies old Ninja when it blew up. He did the math and it just wasn't worth driving back up to retrieve. He was a trooper and spent some 1600kms riding pillion before buying a bike in Quebec on the way home.

I'm new as well, unfortunately insurance companies are not going to insure my 03 zx6r anymore, or at least that's what I've been told. I'm ****** off. Thinking about taking my chances in the city this summer. God damn insurance companies think they control everything. Anyone heard of running a fake plate? I'd rather pay the 5000$ fine than pay the 10,000$ dollars a year even if I could get insured!! I have a perfect drivingrecord and should be granted the opportunity to ride. I'm 25 years old.... I'd like to hear your input

I'm new as well, unfortunately insurance companies are not going to insure my 03 zx6r anymore, or at least that's what I've been told. I'm ****** off. Thinking about taking my chances in the city this summer. God damn insurance companies think they control everything. Anyone heard of running a fake plate? I'd rather pay the 5000$ fine than pay the 10,000$ dollars a year even if I could get insured!! I have a perfect drivingrecord and should be granted the opportunity to ride. I'm 25 years old.... I'd like to hear your input
If you kill someone in an accident with no insurance you'll be broke for life.

Supersports have been a pain to insure for years. That's the only reason I've never bought one.

You should be able to find some company that will insure you. Otherwise get a different bike.

The insurance subforum would be a better place for your concerns.

Have a close look at Google Maps and you have the opportunity to ride your bike in Nunavut, which is otherwise only accessible via air or boat.
Where can you get to in Nunavut from that road? I don't see any land connecting that part of Quebec to Nunavut on Google Maps.

I've been to all 3 territories. Nunavut was my least favorite. Could've been the town I was in, though (Kugaaruk).

Because the borderline cuts right along the coast of James Bay ....there is a couple of spots you can just get into Nunavit

0CGDuGzFQyZznVH3RHyuEZkhFqE7H_aW4FaxrqQnnIZEd90aIYfO64PCkbqAUljuKeElNVT1BMwSSwH8TJ5PJ_cgfc7b1r-YOD5AmBgN5oKJG8TwsxhVzAPu83kt_19SgdMBrG-RBmNvtMFcODDOyeojVz7_XJh-1Lje4nVrkl7W_tm5d5LD2cEsT77uKg17eDiJBbF8ZqvpIhRUmgK2lsNzwcDZ6xgSzWCnK2UijBLxdtBNyH2EoF7Ih8if3IkQakc6hOvelqi5XW9hh1-p9T7Mu9JjsTJ4a71DC-SxsIRBCzNkm7D6sxUMRnpdS_AWyjWWmnem6COOK9AUoh2SE67X3CMnuK6ILbtSEGlgL7BZy4hp3t9ReT8LbNbnGBXcN9UxZZzD--P0iaoFLJVuobdavndoSKIMpmz97PomXf3ij2UtSINYv2PCM7dLfVRk5YFGcRBelExasBVQ2OB5XJHvlNQe8ktwjiL4DvrNTB9AtrImIgrHAmw2lJo2wpGC27qOO6UBKxMp6R0Vnyfr5KFBhzxh8_XFPeLLDGiAVGkyHWhIrB-0Rza9cnxjFpjNZapu4Emlbl-2PDZYxHDEdDfcvV7xtd6D1kL8KcyUAoUa-V9Z_GuxNw=w1752-h1056-no

....bit like counting Hyder as going to Alaska :D

Last edited:
Because the borderline cuts right along the coast of James Bay ....there is a couple of spots you can just get into Nunavit

0CGDuGzFQyZznVH3RHyuEZkhFqE7H_aW4FaxrqQnnIZEd90aIYfO64PCkbqAUljuKeElNVT1BMwSSwH8TJ5PJ_cgfc7b1r-YOD5AmBgN5oKJG8TwsxhVzAPu83kt_19SgdMBrG-RBmNvtMFcODDOyeojVz7_XJh-1Lje4nVrkl7W_tm5d5LD2cEsT77uKg17eDiJBbF8ZqvpIhRUmgK2lsNzwcDZ6xgSzWCnK2UijBLxdtBNyH2EoF7Ih8if3IkQakc6hOvelqi5XW9hh1-p9T7Mu9JjsTJ4a71DC-SxsIRBCzNkm7D6sxUMRnpdS_AWyjWWmnem6COOK9AUoh2SE67X3CMnuK6ILbtSEGlgL7BZy4hp3t9ReT8LbNbnGBXcN9UxZZzD--P0iaoFLJVuobdavndoSKIMpmz97PomXf3ij2UtSINYv2PCM7dLfVRk5YFGcRBelExasBVQ2OB5XJHvlNQe8ktwjiL4DvrNTB9AtrImIgrHAmw2lJo2wpGC27qOO6UBKxMp6R0Vnyfr5KFBhzxh8_XFPeLLDGiAVGkyHWhIrB-0Rza9cnxjFpjNZapu4Emlbl-2PDZYxHDEdDfcvV7xtd6D1kL8KcyUAoUa-V9Z_GuxNw=w1752-h1056-no

....bit like counting Hyder as going to Alaska :D
Ah, I didn't use satellite view when I was looking at it and the border appeared to be over water.

Nakkers..I'm up for a Superior loop this summer since kid now has GF to attend to ....sigh

Depending on how many days and when, could work out a plan. Might even make it "work" related which covers some hotel expenses in Ontario. Mid August could work or late June?

I've got some customers in Thunder Bay and SSM that I could visit. The rest of the way and time taken could be vacation time.

If not "work" I could still make it happen. July I can't unfortunately.

Where can you get to in Nunavut from that road? I don't see any land connecting that part of Quebec to Nunavut on Google Maps.

I've been to all 3 territories. Nunavut was my least favorite. Could've been the town I was in, though (Kugaaruk).

I know it doesn't really count (really) but it's a fun story.

I got the bike wet and then stuck, and figure that counts.

Depending on how many days and when, could work out a plan. Might even make it "work" related which covers some hotel expenses in Ontario. Mid August could work or late June?

I've got some customers in Thunder Bay and SSM that I could visit. The rest of the way and time taken could be vacation time.

Sounds like what I used to do ....visit customers in SSM and Sudbury and loop up to Chapleau ...we once did in a light plane....

I don't camp so don't know if that's an issue ...usually use AirBnB
I'm easy on timing ...I tend to do my long rides in mid June so August is fine and a good time to get out Toronto heat.
Do you have a SENA or Scala?

Fly and rent is the way to go, if you want to ride out west imo. Eaglerider has numerous locations and quality bikes if you haven't heard of them.

A full jerry tank doesn't slosh. And 40# is nothing on a 800# cruiser. I've hauled passengers weighing 4X (+) times that for many miles and they move around a lot more than a 40 pound jerry can ratchet strapped to a cargo rack ever will.

I used to carry around a 25L jerry can of gas on my Jetski all the time when I was doing long trips as I would never make it on some longer stretches without it.

It's not an issue. I'm not concerned at all about that part.

Will do. I've test fit one of my cans already, no issues. Ratchet straps are your friend.

When we did the TransTaiga we all carried an extra gallon or two. We rode to the very end (there's an extra 88kms past the dam to a float plane outfitter) where we bought gas (2.50$ / litre) but we did meet a guy on a bmw with two large jerry cans (5 gallon) on his rack that rode to the dam and back w/o buying gas.

@ MacDoc

Camping is for the kids. This fella likes a bed. Lol.

Don't have a comm unit. Still researching. Recommendations?

I've got a Shoei Qwest FF.

I'll pm my cell so we can kick around some ideas and see about making something happen.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom