Help a newbie with insurance - 2002 Honda XR400 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help a newbie with insurance - 2002 Honda XR400

Sixstrings12

Hi Everyone,

MUCH apologies if this is beating a dead horse on this site, but I am at my wits end here...

Some facts:

1) I have valid G licence - no claims, nothing, clean as it gets
2) I DO NOT have an M license or Motorcycle license
3) Bike in question is 2002 Honda XR400

My questions - Is there any possible way of getting insurance so i can just putt around the Crown land (ontario) in my area? The land is labeled 'multi-use', for Quads, dirt-bikes etc.

The popo are always out there, checking papers and crap. I am not one to break the law - for gawds sakes, up until 2008, I had a 1985 Honda Big Red trike WITH INSURANCE...no fooling...

I asked my insurance lady, and she basically said 'impossible - you need valid M license and Bike must be plated for road.."

I call BS on that...is that true?

What are my options here?

I just want to cruise around the bush and not have to worry about big stupid fines...

Thanks again for any help, and I apologize if this is 'one of those' questions...

I can't really give you an answer but I can chime in a bit on personal experience.. I've never had insurance or an m license till April this year when I got a road bike. Been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid (illegally? I dunno)

I'd try going into the MTO and asking them. Maybe the insurance company you called just wants you to buy their products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all insurance companies offer off road liability insurance. Just keep calling until you find one who does.
My last ktm was $118/year for liability insurance, was with Grant Redfern I think?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Not all insurance companies offer off road liability insurance. Just keep calling until you find one who does.
My last ktm was $118/year for liability insurance, was with Grant Redfern I think?

Edit Try Kirk Norris with Sf/desjardins, he does alot of business with oftr members and is familiar with offroad insurance stuff.
kirk@kirknorris.com
705-740-0158
www.kirknorris.com

If its going to be on the road, you need insurance and license, if your off the road you need neither.

If you get on the road in between the off road parts and cops catch you without plates/insurance/license, you will pay for it. (unless its on a truck or trailer)

If its going to be on the road, you need insurance and license, if your off the road you need neither.

If you get on the road in between the off road parts and cops catch you without plates/insurance/license, you will pay for it. (unless its on a truck or trailer)
Wrong. Offroad bikes need offroad plate and registration as well as liability insurance to operate anywhere but your own property. The opp patrol crown land in many areas of Ontario.

The XR400 is a street legal bike, that is why the insurance company is telling you need an M license. However if you get a green plate for it and explain that to the insurance company, they should be able to supply you with "off road" insurance.

The XR400 is a street legal bike, that is why the insurance company is telling you need an M license. However if you get a green plate for it and explain that to the insurance company, they should be able to supply you with "off road" insurance.
The xr400r is not street legal. The 250 and 650 were the only street legal xr models from the factory since 1990ish.
A few lucky people got an xr400r blue plated prior to 2007 but not factory.

The statement in red is 100% incorrect. The ONLY place in Ontario you can ride a bike "off road" without a plate, AND insurance is your own private property. Which can also be tricky, if your riding in your own driveway, but come within 33' of the center line of the road, your now on the "road allowance" and as such if you got a real hard assed cop, you can be charged, as your now on municipal/county/provincial property.

Listen to the advice Iceman has provided. You can also contact OFTR, (Ontario Federation of Trail Riders), they should be able to help explain all the regs as well as likely provide you with a few insurers who will cover your bike.

Thanks for all the help here people...great site.

I got Off-road Liability insurance for $87 per year.(!)

Changed ownership and got a plate...

Just need the weather to cooperate!

It was really a lot easier then my insurance company was letting on...wonder why?

Anyway, thanks again everyone...

Back
Top Bottom