Harley's new idea | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley's new idea

Apparently you haven't noticed that the urban hipsters are crazy about old iron-head Harleys, Triumphs, and CB Hondas? Exactly the bikes their parents and grandparents rode. What they really seem disinterested in is cheap plastic death-rockets.
Mostly because insurance is so ridiculous it's just a massive waste of money and headache.

according to latest financial gurus's , millenialls now have more discretionary income than the boomer generation. Not finding a way to access that spending group would be silly, 500 & 750cc HD's , the bonneville lineup, ducati scramblers, "new" bobbers, all clearly aimed at 25-40yr olds.

HD didn't put a pop up cafe in the middle of ground zero hipsterville by accident. That's their future.

Only way this is true IMO would be because housing prices are so crazy that most of them just give up and the money they would've spent on that becomes discretionary. I know my discretionary income would be way lower if I had maintenance on a house and mortgage to pay but since there's no way I can ever afford a $1.5 million home all that money goes to toys and vacations!

If nothing else, HD are masters of marketing. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. I don't care how they do it, I'm just happy to see manufacturers trying to bring new riders on board.
I also don't care if millenials want to ride plastic or HD, I ride my own bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Mostly because insurance is so ridiculous it's just a massive waste of money and headache.

Only way this is true IMO would be because housing prices are so crazy that most of them just give up and the money they would've spent on that becomes discretionary. I know my discretionary income would be way lower if I had maintenance on a house and mortgage to pay but since there's no way I can ever afford a $1.5 million home all that money goes to toys and vacations!

^^ This, right on the money.

Are they going to ask all the dealers they asked to build new buildings along major highways or lose the brand to move, again?

That sweet American v-twin thunder is always worth the effort.

*blips throttle*

Ahhhh!

*Ride To Live, Live To Ride blares over speakers*

Preach the truth, Twisted Sister!

*slings greasy do-rag at the haters*

Ahem. That sounds similar to the Honda Powerhouse dealership debacle.

Exactly, if that generation doesn't blow their money on things to make them feel better, how could they possibly exist in the world the Boomer generation have left them holding the bag for?

Exactly, if that generation doesn't blow their money on things to make them feel better, how could they possibly exist in the world the Boomer generation have left them holding the bag for?

And raise of the $10 cup of coffee, lol

according to latest financial gurus's , millenialls now have more discretionary income than the boomer generation. Not finding a way to access that spending group would be silly, 500 & 750cc HD's , the bonneville lineup, ducati scramblers, "new" bobbers, all clearly aimed at 25-40yr olds.

HD didn't put a pop up cafe in the middle of ground zero hipsterville by accident. That's their future.

Because they're living in boomer's basement

Not a new idea at all.
Back in the days when AMF owned HD (the era Harleyphiles refuse to admit existed today) they did the same thing.
They were marketed as the "Harley Davidson Lightweights".
If memory serves they had street bikes (not trail bikes) in 250cc, 500cc and 750cc models available.
The total failure of this program is one of the reasons Harley was able to buy itself back.

Not a new idea at all.
Back in the days when AMF owned HD (the era Harleyphiles refuse to admit existed today) they did the same thing.
They were marketed as the "Harley Davidson Lightweights".
If memory serves they had street bikes (not trail bikes) in 250cc, 500cc and 750cc models available.
The total failure of this program is one of the reasons Harley was able to buy itself back.

And they were made by Aermacchi in Italy. There were 65s, 100s, 125s, 250s and 350s.
They were all singles, smaller displacement 2 strokes and the 250/350s were 4 strokes.
There were no 750s.
When AMF bailed, the company was sold to Cagiva.

I owned an "italian" HD 125, wow was it an epic piece of crappola. On the days it ran, a yamaha 80 would clean it in a drag race. Aermacchi engineering, the local HD dealer that sold it, had a mechanic that refused to touch it..... wish I never sold it.

I owned an "italian" HD 125, wow was it an epic piece of crappola. On the days it ran, a yamaha 80 would clean it in a drag race. Aermacchi engineering, the local HD dealer that sold it, had a mechanic that refused to touch it..... wish I never sold it.

Kinda like owning a Can-Am....

In fact one of the big reasons is a lot of them don't own cars. They put car money toward a home and use public transport. Not owning a car is a $10,000/yr saving. That makes a bike a great summer getaway alternative.

There were no 750s.

AMF owned Harley from '69-'81 if I remember correctly and during that time they did build the XR750 which was a track only bike for dirt track racing. So technically, AMF did build a 750. ;)

In fact one of the big reasons is a lot of them don't own cars. They put car money toward a home and use public transport. Not owning a car is a $10,000/yr saving. That makes a bike a great summer getaway alternative.

Only sort of true, went in for a job to toronto a few weeks ago, took GO transit, figured if i worked there on the regular, id be spending about 20$ a day just in the commute, but the pay was good so...who gives a ****

If i were to drive to work anywhere other than Downtown TO, car would probably end up being about the same as Public transit, the way they keep jacking up the rates (remember when all public transit was 3$?)

Had a friend who owned a prius, told me he filled up on gas once a month....and the insurance on those probably isnt bad.

AMF owned Harley from '69-'81 if I remember correctly and during that time they did build the XR750 which was a track only bike for dirt track racing. So technically, AMF did build a 750. ;)

Technically you are indeed correct.
The XR750 (first generation) was a sleeved down 883 Sportster lovingly nicknamed the 'waffle iron' because of the way its cast iron cylinders and heads roasted the rider's legs. It was also dog slow.
When the Motor Corp. went to alloy parts (1972 ?) those problems were solved and it went on to be the bike of choice for over 40 years in dirt track.
It was not however, ever a street bike so I guess we're both sorta/kinda right ? :)

There have been several articles in the Globe, Toronto Life mag, ect. that the millenials are indeed as NeilV said living in boomer basements and taking a pass on the traditional get a job, buy a house lifestyle. They (apparently) see value in being renters, or staying home, some get really good jobs , hence surplus cash.
All the manufacturers can see its a market segment that needs to be serviced, will spend whats required to look cool and may or may not be in for the long haul, but 65yr old HD riding Fred might ride his fat boy for 15 more yrs. He's not the future.

The whole 'boutique' dealership thing is gaining momentum.
Triumph is making specific demands on it's dealers to 'McDonald's-ify' (New word!!) their dealerships, just like Harley has done. Apparently they're losing dealers over this. BMW is similar.
The demographics are changing and the manufacturers are adapting.

Back
Top Bottom