Baby Monitor Recommendation?! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Baby Monitor Recommendation?!

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Looking to see what you guys recommend for baby monitor for our place (multi-level townhouse)? I'm trying to convince my wife of going with an IP camera to check in from the phones, but she's looking to get a dedicated system as she trusts those more to work (after the whole fiasco with our wifi going down at all times of day/night!) Seems to be a ton of these things out there, with reviews all over the place. Ideally looking for something that can view in the night time (which I know is tough with these consumer grade units).

Thanks!

Old phone, Dormi app.

You may not use the monitors as much as you think you will. The above solution worked great for me.

@mmm I have an old iPhone 4s just sitting around gathering dust...will look into that option tonight. Thanks!

Just want to point out the fact that tons of babies have survived without baby monitors FYI....

Just want to point out the fact that tons of babies have survived without baby monitors FYI....
Tons of people survived before there were seat belts in cars too. What's your point?

We just got a cheap video monitor from walmart. It was like 90 bucks. Still working great (she's 2.5) no complaints. It has night vision and everything. Someone will always have the screen so unless you're going to be accross the street while baby is alone in bed you don't need the IP style

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of hardwired when it comes to cameras, because of this.

As for internet problems....if your internet sucks, dump your ISP and find a more reliable one. Cameras aside, unreliable internet is inexcusable - it's not 1997 anymore in the infancy of broadband when 75% uptime was a good day.

Last edited:
We use a sound only one the video isn't needed and is just a distraction, we started with a IP video camera and switched to cheap sound only unit

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks guys appreciate the input. We were looking at the Levana brand but that's close to $200 for them....would prefer something cheaper in all honesty. Baby's are expensive as is...and he's not born yet!

@PP - issue was resolved with the internet previously...turned out to be the router (D-Link) that I bought. Replaced it with a different one and no issues since.

D-Link is junk. I've had experiences with a lot of their hardware over the years, a grand total of 0% of it was positive.

If you like the IP camera hardwired option, just slip one of the baby-monitor security stories to her one evening....and your preference will be easier, trust me. ;)

Iirc we used Angel Care. Sound and a sleeping pad that will sound an alarm if baby stops breathing.
As I have sleep apnea and sids is said to be related to that, it was a must for us.
Con-- when baby rolls off the pad, alarm also sounds.

Sent from the Purple Zone

We had a very basic audio system , video didn't exist then. It did everything I think we needed. The more complicated you let it get, the more complicated it will be.

Definitely a dedicated baby monitor... cheapest one because you'll drop it from the complete lack of sleep, stress, etc :) reason for the baby monitor vs phone: more reliable you can leave it on all night, easy controls like volume, dedicated you'll want to listen for baby and because you can't sleep you can use your phone to surf, separate battery, less worry about dropping the monitor because they are durable, easy to use for your parents and babysitters, no internet issues, cheaper than ip cameras, and the list goes on!

Put baby in your room. You're not having sex anyway.
grrr.gif

Definitely a dedicated baby monitor... cheapest one because you'll drop it from the complete lack of sleep, stress, etc :) reason for the baby monitor vs phone: more reliable you can leave it on all night, easy controls like volume, dedicated you'll want to listen for baby and because you can't sleep you can use your phone to surf, separate battery, less worry about dropping the monitor because they are durable, easy to use for your parents and babysitters, no internet issues, cheaper than ip cameras, and the list goes on!

+1, my thought on dedicated monitor, its sort of ugly and only listens to baby so its not in somebodies purse or pocket when your looking for it, somebody isn't texting or talking on it when they should be listening for the baby.
Keep in mind its a monitor, not a baby sitter.

I went with a nice audio-only monitor (Philips Avent 570 IIRC). It works really well. The battery life is close to 24 hours (used a couple of times when people were sick so we spread out in the house), it completely mutes the receiver when below a threshold that you pick (no more static, wife sleeps better because she doesn't hear the constant little squeaks/coughs etc) and talkback can be useful as ghetto intercom. I have never had any problems with it and it has never lost connection (theoretical range is 300+m).

The only downside I have found to an audio-only monitor is trying to decide if the kid is awake or not in the morning or after a nap. If they aren't making noise, you don't really know what is going on in there. That being said, I can only imagine how screwed up your sleep would be if you looked at a video monitor multiple times per night. I think the ideal solution is an audio monitor and an old phone setup as a cheap video monitor that could be viewed if you really want.

Had the kids in our room for the most part. Sound only monitor was good for when they were big enough to climb out of the crib.

If privacy is not a concern go for a wireless system, otherwise go for a hardwired system. I used to hear all sorts of stuff on my scanners from baby monitors, they are usually left on all the time....just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom