Mixing oil | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mixing oil

Not a fan of mixing oils, but like others have said, if it is of the same type (dino vs synth) and of the same viscosity, I don't see a huge issue with it.

I rode with a guy one day who noticed oil was not showing on window. Luckily we were at Marks Work Wear house in Orangeville because unexpected temp. drop. I said there's a CTC right over there. He wouldn't hear of it because don't mix oil. He's riding a different bike now.

Well technically mixing oils is better than low oil, especially for the short term. The guy should have bought what he could, then drained it at home and done a proper change with the correct oil for his bike.

Not a fan of mixing oils, but like others have said, if it is of the same type (dino vs synth) and of the same viscosity, I don't see a huge issue with it.

Well technically mixing oils is better than low oil, especially for the short term. The guy should have bought what he could, then drained it at home and done a proper change with the correct oil for his bike.

So if you can't mix Dyno and synthetic.....what's a semi-synthetic??

I'd do it as long as neither grade is way out of whack for what your engine calls for. Then again, I've used motor oil as transmission oil (75W90 gear oil was specified but many bikes share engine oil with transmission so I didn't think this was a huge deal) and mixed left over 75W90 gear oil into engine oil (if you compare the equivalent viscosity ratings between SAE crankcase oil and SAE gear oil they are quite similar) and nothing blew up. I'm assuming mixing the gear oil with engine oil wasn't the greatest idea, though but I didn't care about the car.

I also mix synthetic vs non-synthetic depending on what I have left over and the time of year.

5w40 mixed with 10w30 probably isn't a good idea if your bike is designed for 40 weight oil. the upper number if the really the one that matters since that is when the engine gets up to temp.

if you were mixing 5w40 with 10w40 i'd say its a no brainer you cold do it ... your top number is unchanged and its just a tad thinner (like 7.5w) on the cold side.

I had a bunch of left over brands of synthetic, dino, semi-syn oil left over from various different bottles but all were 10w40. since they were all in smaller bottles I just put them all in into 1 of the bigger jugs and did my oil change on the bike with it this past year (2016) and nothing happened.

Don't most vehicles have a chart for ambient temperature vs oil viscosity? Even if you normally use 40W you can probably get away with 30 just fine except on very hot days.

Back
Top Bottom