Mixing oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mixing oil

catzo

I've got about half an oil change worth of Rotella t6 5w40, and half an oil change worth of Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30.

Safe to mix?

It's the cats meow mix.

Last edited:
I've got about half an oil change worth of Rotella t6 5w40, and half an oil change worth of Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30.

Safe to mix?
I'm no oiloligist, but I would have no problem mixing brands. Viscosities however, I would be reluctant.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Do not mix that if your bike recommends 5w40.You're basically thinning your oil

Do not mix that if your bike recommends 5w40.You're basically thinning your oil

It might still meet the target if checking viscosity/temperature table in owners manual and needing to leave town quick.

Speaking of oils....I found a rotella T6 thats 5W-40 and one thats 0W-40....(Both synthetic)

why would they make 2 oils that are almost essentially the same(One being SLIGHTLY better in colder temps)

I know the T6 has a great rep for bikes...I wonder which one most riders use out of the two weights?

0W40 if you are in northern Alberta in mid winter....don't think you can go wrong with 5W40 for a bike. I run 10W in the cooler temps and used to run 20W in mid summer touring.

Speaking of oils....I found a rotella T6 thats 5W-40 and one thats 0W-40....(Both synthetic)

why would they make 2 oils that are almost essentially the same(One being SLIGHTLY better in colder temps)

I know the T6 has a great rep for bikes...I wonder which one most riders use out of the two weights?
Whichever is cheaper. Pretty much the only reason anyone runs T6 to begin with.

As far as the OPs question, I am no oil engineer, but I wouldn't mix them. Different brands(big whoop) at different cold and hot viscosity. For the $30 just go buy more oil.

Last edited:
It might still meet the target if checking viscosity/temperature table in owners manual and needing to leave town quick.
If your engine never hits 100C then that's fine but what if you hit traffic? Pray that you don't put unnecessary wear on your engine?

For as long as I can remember people have told me not to mix different viscosities in a car engine.
I have no idea why. There could be a good reason or it could be an urban legend.

A few years back I was riding with some friends. One rider was on a BMW and hadn't used a new washer on the plug when he changed the oil.
The plug worked it's way free and he began to leak oil like crazy.
We were very lucky and found the plug.
Each of us had a partial bottle of oil with us for top ups. All were different viscosities. We put in enough to keep the engine from seizing and rode to the next town.
But that was only about 20 miles.

I rode with a guy one day who noticed oil was not showing on window. Luckily we were at Marks Work Wear house in Orangeville because unexpected temp. drop. I said there's a CTC right over there. He wouldn't hear of it because don't mix oil. He's riding a different bike now.

Well we know oil and water don't mix. Neither does oil and rational thought. Some claim owners manuals and instruction labels were placed in our hands by Satan himself to confuse the superior alternate facts that swish through the heavenly web. Personally, I expected someone so familiar with the eternal flames of combustion would carry more credibility, at least on this particular subject.

so...when you do an oil change, does every drop of the old oil get drained out. There's always a little bit of mixing. Maybe not a lot, but still. I've done it before on my engine that has gone over 118k km.

This isn't pharmaceuticals. I have never heard of one oil additive contraindicated to another and I keep my ear pretty close to the ground. Is it ideal? Probably not but if it were disastrous we'd know all about it by now.

FWIW I've been wearing the same sneakers and track pants so long that the threads are disappearing on them as well.
Coincidence? I think. Not.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Back
Top Bottom