Info before commit to buy a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Info before commit to buy a bike

blaudp79

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to get a large wheel scooter (Honda SH150i). I need some information regarding ownership transfer, insurance and exit course. I've read the forum where everything is explained from the first to the last step, however I didn't find answer to my question.

1. Ownership transfer:

I'm going to buy a bike off of kijiji most likely it will not come with the safety certificate. I do not have a bike plate as this is going to be my first bike in Canada. According to service Ontario, I need to register the vehicle within 6 days of the sale and I need to have these documents:
- driver's license
- UVIP
- vehicle portion of the permit
- proof of insurance

I want to buy the bike before getting the M1 (now), so I will not posses a motorcycle driver's license 6 days after the purchase in order to register the bike. Can I buy the bike now and register it two-three months later when I get my M1?

2. Insurance

I already have a quote from Rider's Plus and it is an affordable rate ($560/yr), however having a motorcycle safety training is mandatory. Can someone recommend me an insurance company that will offer insurance for riders having M1 and while safety training is not required?
I know it is recommended, but I have over 10 years riding experience out of Canada and I just simply don't need it, so I don't want to waste money and time on it.

3. M1 and M2 exit course
Where can I take an exit course using a 150cc scooter?

Many thanks ahead for the answers...

Theoretically you can transfer it into your name as an unfit vehicle, you don't need a license or insurance or a safety inspection. Or go for "Fit - Unplated" if you have the safety inspection. You only need a license and insurance if you want to ride it - but who knows what they will say at Service Ontario lol.

I want to buy the bike before getting the M1 (now), so I will not posses a motorcycle driver's license 6 days after the purchase in order to register the bike. Can I buy the bike now and register it two-three months later when I get my M1?

Just register it as "UNFIT-NOT PLATED" - the MTO office will know what you want. You do not need a motorcycle licence to own a motorcycle, no issue there. You WILL have to pay the taxes on the bike at this stage. The seller SHOULD/MUST provide you with the UVIP as well to prove that it is in his name, and has no liens. If he doesn't give it to you, you are taking on the risk that it's not actually his or has liens against it...and the MTO will make you pay for it anyways when you visit to change the ownership.

You won't be able to get a plate or sticker until such time that you return with a safety certificate and proof of insurance, then they will reissue a new ownership as "FIT-PLATED" and give you your sticker.

I already have a quote from Rider's Plus and it is an affordable rate ($560/yr), however having a motorcycle safety training is mandatory. Can someone recommend me an insurance company that will offer insurance for riders having M1 and while safety training is not required?

Call a broker like Dalton Timmis is your best bet.

Don't underestimate the value of the motorcycle course however - most insurance companies will offer a discount that offsets some of the cost (in just year 1) and honestly...even as an "experienced" rider I guarantee you will learn a few things that could very well save your bacon some day. I know because I was in the same situation as you when I took it.

M1 exit course can be done at an MTO office - book it ASAP, they book out quick and the M1 is only good for a short period of time after which you need to re-write the test and start all over again. You basically have a 30 day window (can't do the test until after 60 days, but licence is only good for 90) to pass the road test. As a previous rider you will probably find it laughably easy, but make sure to time things accordingly just in case. Plan to go write your M1 test timed to ensure the mandatory 60 day window will have passed by the time the MTO starts doing the exit tests. Many insurance companies that will insure M1 riders will only do so for a certain time period before they require proof of M2. Many others as you have discovered won't insure either without official training. Seriously, consider it - it's not a "waste",

M2 exit can also be done through the MTO - they have a "limited speed" version that will only take you on an 80KPH road vs the 100KPH highway stretch usually required.

Thanks for all the input guys!
I've tried to book a road test but M class is not offered. Is it because they don't have a passed written test for M on my record or because it is still winter?
If it is because it is winter from what date are they going to activate bookings for M class?
Regarding the insurance, I will contact Dalton Timmis on Monday and see what they have to say regarding the training course....

For what it's worth, most times taking an approved safety course drops your insurance in half or nearly in half. That is a huge amount of savings. I remember way back when that my insurance for my first bike (no experience, 16yrs old, 400cc) was going to be $1,600/yr but was only $800/yr with the course. I saved more than double the cost of the course in my first year of riding.

The MTO doesn't do motorcycle testing in winter...you'll have to wait until spring to do that. That said, if you are just going for your M1, then you should be able to write it in advance -- I wrote mine in February in prep for taking the exit course in early April.

I'll also parrot what others have said here too...take the course. Even if you have 10 years experience, that doesn't mean it is 'good' experience, and that things aren't different here compared to whatever country you have previous experience in. It also isn't a huge amount of money either, and might get you cheaper insurance too, since you will otherwise be treated as a new rider. Note if you are taking the course, make sure you tell the MTO when going for your M1...they have 2 rates, as one includes the M1exit test with the MTO, and the other does not (as it is included in the course fee).

Also, if you say you have 10 years experience, wouldn't that mean you already have a full fledged motorcycle license from another country? I thought there were ways to have that transferred over to an Ontario class M license, assuming you had a full license and not a learners class/permit.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the input guys!

I thought there were ways to have that transferred over to an Ontario class M license, assuming you had a full license and not a learners class/permit.

I have an EU license and I could easily do the transfer and get full G right away. For M class transfer only USA, Australia and Switzerland licenses are allowed.

If you carried motorcycle insurance before with an EU insurer....call them up and ask them to send you a confirmation of coverage, and if you have a copy of your old EU licence with a "full" motorcycle licence get a copy of that as well that you can provide.

Both may be helpful when you talk to the new insurers here - despite the fact you are starting over as a brand new rider here, if you can prove that you were a fully licenced driver with "x" number of years worth of confirmable insurance coverage somewhere else you may find it helps.

Back
Top Bottom