My homemade Akrapovic exhaust. | GTAMotorcycle.com

My homemade Akrapovic exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K41klimited

Hey guys, I was looking for a Akra slip on for my 05 R1. I had no luck, and I didnt want to spend $2,100 either. So I made my own! Yamaha gives you a nice Ti platform to work with so I was ready to get to work. Heres a few pictures of the process and final product. Im really happy with the final product, turned out great, and sounds even better.
I started put buy gutting the pipes. Took the stock exhaust choking baffle out, and replaced it with A and R race baffles. All new packing etc. Then I was going to power coat the cans but went with a 3m carbon wrap. And yes it will withstand the heat. Nice thing is Ti cans dont get as a hot as stainless etc. Proper scuffing and priming of the end caps on both ends, about 10 coats of paint and those were done. Then I got replacement foil back Akra stickers and tada! I had my very own Akrapovic look a likes for the total cost of $150 dollars.

Last edited:
lol

Maybe slap some Yamaha M1 stickers on it too?

Congrats. If yer not racing and it works, sounds good and looks good, you win. After all, on the street that's all it's about.

Do you know Sinz?

Sinz rides a pretty sweet Duck. Parts are real tho.

Now that would be a challenge. Sinz bike with real and expensive parts vs one with fake low cost parts and see what the uninformed and maybe even the informed think.

i guess it would have been ok if you didnt try to pass it off as akra but whatever, its your bike.
personally, if you wanted it louder and black i would have just gutted it like you did then powdercoated it and no sticker on it.

i run a full exhaust arrow headers to real akra and its awesome, but ive also seen a lot of china knock offs floating around the last couple years. if you cant fit a real akra in your budget go for something cheaper like Yosh which was about half the price at the time.

since you seem to be capable of doing a DIY, try making a gel seat.
i have a real Corbin for me and its awesome, but gutted the passenger seat and put a gel pad in, my fiancee says its a lot better.

Last edited:
I guess I should clear one thing up, the lack of finances isnt the issue by any means, I could have easily swiped my debit card and purchased a set. Winters are long, boring etc. So having my bike in the house I figured what the hell I'll have something to do and tinker with. Id like to use the term "replica" because that was my idea from the start. I wanted to replicate the looks of a certain exhaust. Thanks to the ones for the positive feed back. And of course, guys who ride and know parts and bikes will instantly know they arent REAL, but their will be the ones that wont know unless something is said. My bikes has a butt ton of REAL carbon fibre, REAL rizoma parts, REAL Galfer parts so one knock off home made little exhaust wont hurt.

I think its awesome. Im the same way in a sense. Im a machinist so I make my own "replicas" of stuff like woodcraft and vortex bits and parts for my bikes all the time. Nice job.

looks good
I would be worried about the stickers, something about plastic on high temp metal does not seem to mix well in my mind.

looks good
I would be worried about the stickers, something about plastic on high temp metal does not seem to mix well in my mind.
The stickers are OE replacement from Akra. Foil back stickers that go directly on their Ti slip ons.

Looks nice but putting the Akra stickers on something that is not an Akra seems very silly to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom