Strike three? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Strike three?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A buddy got stopped in his cage this AM for a rolling stop. Reached for his wallet and oops it's at home.

The cop asks if he has a clean record and is told yes, clean. Cop runs his plate and reminds him about his two year old cell phone hit (Duh) and writes him two tickets. It could have been four, the stop and three fail to produce. The tickets are $65 and $85 so buddy thinks he got off light.

The fines are OK and one time hits but State Farm will see three convictions, to me the iceberg in the fog. I assume he got the stop and one fail to produce.

The cop must have been decent as he followed buddy for a few blocks, pulled him over again and somewhat emphatically pointed out that he could fight the tickets.

I've see posts where showing the missing paperwork in court got the charges dropped but the stop is not so easy.

Odds???

Yeah sounds like the cop wouldn't show up in court. "If" he remembers how bad he felt for giving him those tickets, why can't I ever get sympathetic police officers?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah sounds like the cop wouldn't show up in court. "If" he remembers how bad he felt for giving him those tickets, why can't I ever get sympathetic police officers?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm reading that the cop realized the second ticket would possibly cause an insurance backbreaker but tickets aren't easily withdrawn anymore on the street.

Told buddy to fight it. In another year the cell phone charge will be off so a bit of breathing room.

The fail to produce tickets almost always get dropped at first appearance unless, you show up, and give the crown a hard time, or have an "attitude". Have your buddy get all the paperwork together go to first attendance, explain he had forgotten his wallet that morning and show the crown the documents. The no stop is likely to stick, I would still request disclosure and ask to go to trial, if the officer is there you friend can still enter a guilty plea, if the officer is a no show, (more and more unlikely as officer attendance is tracked and you have to answer to supervisor why you didn't attend), then plead not guilty and ask the JP to have the crown proceed as scheduled, (If they haven't already withdrawn the charge).

Unless you buddy is moving insurance to another company or making a serious change in coverage, he "should" be ok, as insurer is unlikely to check his abstract.

In Toronto, police officers must attend traffic court when scheduled to appear.
When they become unavailable due to duty, a form must be faxed to the court office stating they have been excused and the reason why.
The form must be signed by a sgt. or above.

Like hedo said, your friend will want to show them at First Attendance, not at trial. This is where there is a chance to have the charge dropped. By the time it gets to court, it's a done deal.

i beat a rolling stop, cop said i didn't stop @ the line,

pix i took showed no such thing

How did you take pics of your own stop? Helmet cam?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Cop was obviously testifying to wrong charge. There are two seperate charges.

Disobey stop sign - fail to stop

Disobey stop sign - stop wrong place, (for those who fail stop behind the line). if no line exists then it is the rear of the crossing sidewalk, if no sidewalk then it the curb or end of grassed area to the immediate right of the intersection.

Had to cop testified properly, that you failed to stop at the appropriate area, you should have been convicted. Rather ironic you of all people boast about committing a traffic offence and that you went to court to fight it as opposed to your normal, Cops can do no wrong postings.

Cop was obviously testifying to wrong charge. There are two seperate charges.

Disobey stop sign - fail to stop

Disobey stop sign - stop wrong place, (for those who fail stop behind the line). if no line exists then it is the rear of the crossing sidewalk, if no sidewalk then it the curb or end of grassed area to the immediate right of the intersection.

Had to cop testified properly, that you failed to stop at the appropriate area, you should have been convicted. .
cop testified that i didn't stop @ a line (that wasn't even there) on the road,

judge looked at my pix with no line on the road & case closed,

point was a charge isn't necessarily a slam dunk

Last edited:
Rather ironic you of all people boast about committing a traffic offence and that you went to court to fight it as opposed to your normal, Cops can do no wrong postings.

Yodual personality

As I pointed out officer's testimony was flawed had he/she simply testified that you had "failed to stop" and the correct charge, (disobey stop sign - fail to stop), had been laid you would have been convicted. NO need for him/her to have stated you "failed to stop at the line"

Obviously you don't get the point.

cop testified that i didn't stop @ a line (that wasn't even there) on the road,

judge looked at my pix with no line on the road & case closed,

point was a charge isn't necessarily a slam dunk

Strike four? Buddy went on vacation a couple of days after the ticket and may not be back in the 15 day fight it period. Timing is everything.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Neil_V

Yodual personality
:lmao::eek:ccasion5:

evidently, 2 peas ina pod

strike 4 & you're out

& yup, fight all tickets

better yet, don't go there

Buddy is back and it turns out that the cop wrote him up for fail to produce insurance and he didn't have a current plate sticker. No ticket for the rolling stop. He thought it was the insurance and stop.

The two tickets come to about $150.00 which he would gladly pay if it wasn't for the potential of an insurance reaming.

Do these go on his abstract as driving offenses or are they administrative?

Back
Top Bottom