Is it important to make sure bike is safetied just prior to buying it? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it important to make sure bike is safetied just prior to buying it?

Little update: I bought a 1999 Ninja 250, $900 and the dude delivered it to me which was nice because I didn't have to rent a trailer. Thanks for all the help guys.

Very good ...excellent deal. Was that saftied?

You got your gear sorted?.....good time to grab used gear on Kiji.

Saftied at the beginning of last year but never put on the road because of an injury, I've looked at it pretty thoroughly with some friends though and we're pretty confident it'll safety with no issues. Bought a helmet but I'm still looking for jacket, gloves and boots that will be good for the riding training course I'm taking in April (I don't have a pair of over-ankle boots at all). I'll post pics soon but I had to cover it up because of course on the weekend that I buy a bike it snows for the first time in almost a month.

Saftied at the beginning of last year but never put on the road because of an injury, I've looked at it pretty thoroughly with some friends though and we're pretty confident it'll safety with no issues. Bought a helmet but I'm still looking for jacket, gloves and boots that will be good for the riding training course I'm taking in April (I don't have a pair of over-ankle boots at all). I'll post pics soon but I had to cover it up because of course on the weekend that I buy a bike it snows for the first time in almost a month.

You might can get away with a jean jacket/leather coat, work boots and some cheap work gloves(dollar store). don't buy gear just for the course. take your time and research your gear and size/fit (revzilla). later

Lots of used gear on Kijiji. Don't break the budget buying thousands of dollars of new and fancy gear for your first year of riding - buy some used but serviceable stuff online - a lot of it you'll often find is barely used, people that bought it for last summer and discovered riding wasn't for them. There's also consignment shops like Re-Cycle in Oshawa.

Save your money for insurance and gas.

And yes, for the course you can get away with heavy denim for pants, and jacket as well if you don't already have something in leather. They will not accept pleather or vinyl so don't think you'll fool them - they check. Gloves, again, find a $10-$20 pair or real riding gloves on Kijiji or the local flea market - your hands will likely be the first thing to hit the ground if you do dork your bike during the course so have proper gloves. As for boots, yes, workboots will suffice if need be but some people struggle with the shifter with bulky work boots, so again, shopping now for some suitable used gear is worthwhile.

If all that fails, there are people online now renting all the MC course essentials. Just look on Kijiji.

Whatever you do, buying thousands of dollars of shiny new gear as a newbie is unwise There was a young kid at my wifes MC course last summer all dressed up in a Dainese racing suit with a beautiful Shoei helmet (that didn't look cheap) that highsided during the emergency braking part of the course.

Suffice to say all his new gear was significantly degraded in value.

Last edited:
op how long will it take to save another grand or so?? You're much better off buying one for $1800-2000 that's a decade newer...

Hell, my 100k km+ Ninja is much better than a 25yr old unknown bike. I can tell you from experience that 250's get beat to **** by dumb noobs and most have been whored out to multiple owners, the difference is finding one that's been well serviced and maintained.

I appreciate the advice, I bought a bike (99' ninja 250) though. It probably would have been smarter to save up the extra cash but I won't really know until we see how this bike holds up.

Thanks for the gear advice too, I've been buying everything on sale online and capitalizing on free shipping :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom