Is it important to make sure bike is safetied just prior to buying it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it important to make sure bike is safetied just prior to buying it?

Nice one Ice....definitely worth a look. One of my fave Ninjette paint schemes too. And my kid wants to ride.....hmmmmm

That bike looks great Ice, thanks for pointing it out. Wouldn't blame you at all Rice if you picked it up for your kid, haha. As for the 89, I told him that basically it's sketching me out that he wouldn't be open to having it safetied before I gave him the cash, and he responded with "if you're serious about it come see it", so I think I'm just gonna pass on it. Thanks for all the great info!

And yes, that was the bike in question Riceburner

Another semi-related question - how much do new tires increase the price of a used bike? I don't have specifics but apparently new tires were put on this bike last year, and I'm trying to figure out how much that's factoring into the $1000 price tag.

Depends on the brand/quality of the tire he installed really, but the tires alone were probably $200-$250 minimum so it's fair to keep that in consideration, although to some extent putting new tires on an old bike doesn't make it a new bike - it's still an old bike with new tires.

IMHO if it passes safety and the tires are indeed basically new (check the date code) the price isn't too crazy so long as it's in good condition . But even with new rubber, Honestly I'd try to negotiate in the cost of the safety as part of the deal at that price, but the price isn't crazy either way, again, in my opinion. Unless it's beat up.

One more thing to consider about the tires is their age. Just because they were installed last year doesn't mean they're new.
I'd check that manufacturing date on them ->
[video=youtube;S_VYhD49fjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_VYhD49fjk[/video]

I'm looking to purchase an 89 ex250-f from a seller on Kijiji for $1000, and asked if it was safetied/offered to pay to have him go and safety it. He said "It passes safety, it's still licensed and insured." I've never bought a motorcycle, am I required to have it safetied when I try to insure it myself? Or because it's insured right now is it okay?

Thanks

orang - Do you have a link for this one ? I might want to buy it for project parts if the price is right.

A Kevin O'Leary moment. Let's talk money.

Unless you have found a cream puff, cheap bikes are expensive. Doubly so if you can't do your own work.

The only people that make money on cheap old bikes are mechanics. Add the potential repairs onto the purchase price and sudden the bargain is no longer.

Some shops won't work on a old bike because it has no residual value if the owner bails when he sees the repair tab.

Have you priced insurance? If you aren't full M with a few years riding on record you may be stunned. Is insurance available for that bike due to its age?

Very few bikes have universal collector appeal like Vincents etc. If you have tons of money and wish to pee it away on a pipe dream it's your call.

A 250 tends to be a starter bike. The money you waste on it won't be available to buy the right one when it comes along next year.

FWIW

The owner has to provide a UVIP package, about $25. IMO it should be on hand when buyers come looking. Sometimes the ownership trail indicates a lemon.

If the bike is legally licensed it may be possible to get a temporary permit to ride it home without getting a safety. It's in the new owners name but can only be ridden for 10 days IIRC but it must be insured. Have you checked insurance rates?

A safety doesn't mean the bike will be trouble free. Some mechanics will certify a bike that is almost at the wear limits for tires and brakes.

Thanks for all the replies, because the owner doesn't seem too open to the idea of getting it safetied prior to me buying it, I think I'm going to look at some other bikes. I'll still probably be buying old though so I'll definitely make sure to see the safety before I buy any bike.

Good call. Play it safe with your first bike. By the time you're ready for a different one in a few years, you'll be able to notice all the things it needs for safety.

I went to go look at a ninja 250 last spring to use as a track bike. One look at it and I knew it was too low. I looked underneath and the guy had lowering links. He didn't even know they were on there and bought it like that. I test rode it around the block and it handled horribly.

OR offer him a much lower price and be prepared for a bit of a project ? If it runs okay its likely worth $500-700, certainly no more.

Is a "project" as a first bike a great idea though? I wouldn't with out a bit of experience. Maybe if you have some direct guidance from a friend or family member.

The seller offered to write that it's pending safety on our reciept, and said that if for some reason it doesn't pass that I could bring it back. Unless another bike jumps out at me I'll probably go with this one and try to get it at a discount, because I do expect something to go wrong with it.

Another semi-related question - how much do new tires increase the price of a used bike? I don't have specifics but apparently new tires were put on this bike last year, and I'm trying to figure out how much that's factoring into the $1000 price tag.

that sounds super dicey. If that's the bike you're looking for, there's lots available. I'd try and save a bit to strecth that budget. Get something that the owner doesn't seem so fishy and a bike is slightly better shape.

Brand new tires are usually $250-$400 depending on brand and model. Used tires are obviously worth less. There's only bias-ply tires available for the 16" wheels on the older gen Ninaj 250. They're a bit cheaper than radials but not as good. Having said that, bias-ply street tires are more than fine for someone learning on a small bike.

A couple options for a bit more $.
What's your range to look at bikes? where do you live?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...le/1227490083?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...zr/1233875621?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...le/1230021676?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The last one (newer gen ninja 250) is in Hamilton. I could go look at it with you. It's missing keys, so you'd have to ask if he's rewired it to start. I have keys and a tumbler from my track bike (also ninja 250) I could sell you if that bike checks out okay.

TK4 - messaged you with the kijiji link.

And yeah, a project bike for my first bike is definitely not a good idea.. If I had a friend or something who knew a lot about motorcycles it would be different, but unfortunately not. Looking for something newer and in better condition for sure.

I'm in Burlington, would like to pay around $1500 but any less would be a blessing (not a lot of money to work with so yet another reason why project bike is a bad idea). Hamilton would be the nearest bike I've looked at so far, to be honest.

TK4 - messaged you with the kijiji link.

And yeah, a project bike for my first bike is definitely not a good idea.. If I had a friend or something who knew a lot about motorcycles it would be different, but unfortunately not. Looking for something newer and in better condition for sure.

Thank you !

I'm in Burlington, would like to pay around $1500 but any less would be a blessing (not a lot of money to work with so yet another reason why project bike is a bad idea). Hamilton would be the nearest bike I've looked at so far, to be honest.

Give the seller a call and see whats up!
I'm no expert but have been riding for a while. Have also taken apart and put back together a lot of things on a few different bikes. I'm pretty confidant in my ability to spot things for the safety check...but would still take it to a certified mechanic.
Msg me on FB. facebook.com/owenthomas84
If that guy is available over the weekend, I might be able to zip over there with you for half hour.

Was getting a little concerned about the goings on lately after reading the comments in the fake Akra thread. Then I come over here and @Owen restores my faith in the good people of GTAM!

Sent from the Purple Zone

Late to the party, but I need to confirm that all you need to transfer title is signed UVIP documentation and the ownership card with signatures on the back. I did this two weeks ago. Unless your bike has a red book value, the tax you pay on the bike will likely be determined by the amount you declare you bought it for on the UVIP. If it does has a red book value, you will pay based on whatever value is higher (red book vs your purchase declaration).

When I want plates, I'll need to return to MTO with both a valid safety and an insurance policy number.

If I really want to play by the book, I can spend $15 and get a Temporary Vehicle Registration Plate at the MTO, which is valid for 10 days. That means I can drive my bike to a safety inspection station. You'll need to be insured before hitting the road.

To be honest if I'm selling a bike for around $1000 I'm not taking it to get safetied, buyer can do that. Try to take a friend that knows what to look for at any of the bikes you go look at. Safety on a bike is a pretty simple thing, I'd be more concerned about potential mechanical issues at that price point then some wear items that might be needed for a safety.

Btw you could insure the bike for the time being while you get the safety done. Just won't be able to plate it and ride on the road.

To be honest if I'm selling a bike for around $1000 I'm not taking it to get safetied, buyer can do that

Trying to sell a 30 year old bike...in January....well, if it were me and I had a fish on the hook this time of year, I'd go above and beyond to complete a sale.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom