Backpacks - Ogio Mach 3 or kriega r20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Backpacks - Ogio Mach 3 or kriega r20

arogal

I am debating whether to get the Ogio Mach 3 or Kriega R20 backpack. Does anyone have either of these? If so what are your pros and cons. I like how the ogio has one strap that comes off so it goes on easy (can be a bi*ch with an armoured jacket to put bags on/take off), but the kriega seems like it will distribute weight better (chest/mid section rather than shoulders).
Thanks!

I have the Ogio and like it, never had an issue with weight distribution but I don't put anything heavy in it. I use it for when I'm commuting to work to carry my lunch and my gym clothes. Only thing I can see is it is smaller than it looks inside.

I second that. I have an Ogio Mach 3 that I've been using for a few years now and I love it. It is a little smaller on the inside than it appears. I think a lot of this has to do with the way the back portion of it is cupped and the shell is so rigid. You have to pack into whatever space is left in it. Once I put a laptop and a pair of shoes in it, there isn't room for much else. I can usually jam a change of clothes in there as well but it's packed tight.

The best feature of the Ogio is the helmet strap. It's really nice to be able to sling your helmet from the shoulder strap and bring it with you, and still have both hands free. Doesn't sound like much, but the next time you're in a Timmies washroom debating whether to go one handed or hunt for a clean place to put your helmet down, you'll wish you had one!

I second that. I have an Ogio Mach 3 that I've been using for a few years now and I love it. It is a little smaller on the inside than it appears. I think a lot of this has to do with the way the back portion of it is cupped and the shell is so rigid. You have to pack into whatever space is left in it. Once I put a laptop and a pair of shoes in it, there isn't room for much else. I can usually jam a change of clothes in there as well but it's packed tight.

The best feature of the Ogio is the helmet strap. It's really nice to be able to sling your helmet from the shoulder strap and bring it with you, and still have both hands free. Doesn't sound like much, but the next time you're in a Timmies washroom debating whether to go one handed or hunt for a clean place to put your helmet down, you'll wish you had one!

The helmet strap is a nice addition. I also like how the left arm strap comes off and clips in at the bottm so it's easy to put on/take off. I will be using the backpack for commuting to work.

I also have the Ogio Mach 3, the quick release strap is key! Agree with the previous posters' opinions.

I've never used either of these bags but have used a few other different backpacks not marketed towards motorcycling. My bag loads usually weighs 20 to 35 pounds (har har).

A few things that are a MUST for me:
- puffy comfortable straps
- the cross chest strap that connects the two shoulder straps

Puffy straps for general comfort and the chest strap really takes the weight off your shoulders. Any bag I've used with out one generally creates more shoulder fatigue while riding after 45mins/60mins. I find it's the way your shoulder position changes while riding compared to walking. With a chest strap, I can ride all day with a bag and have far far less shoulder fatigue.

I actually was in the market for a new backpack also. I have the Ohio mach 5 and i think the only main difference I that it comes with a pouch and also has a carbon fiber look. The Ogio definitely looks way cooler but if you are talking about functionality I would get the kriega after my review of the Ogio.

Yes I love the quick release mechanism buy what you guys also like which is the helmet loop I hate. That helmet loop I find is useless cause all it does I hand the helmet and let it dangle. I also want something that actually covers the helmet so that it doesn't get scratched or something more subtle than it just hanging by your side. I was actually trying to look for a backpack that would store the helmet inside of it or would attach it to the back of the bag. If anybody knows one let me know.

The mach 5 is expandable and I've done groceries runs with it but like ppl said it's sort of limited in space.

Never used the Mach 3. I have a Kriega R20, R25 and R30 and have owned mtb specific packs too.

No pack is perfect. Just like bikes, you have to go with what works for you most of the time and doesn't annoy the ever living p!ss out of you. You can load up the R20 with as much weight as it can handle and it will spread it around nicely but then again, each person's feel for that will be different and it may differ depending on the bike and/or jacket you're riding with that day and maybe even which helmet you grab.

The R20 doesn't have a dedicated helmet holder like the Mach 3 but I'd prefer to hang a lid off the R20 way more. There are two upper side compression straps on the R20 that can be released all the way and both laced around the chinbar of a full face road/track helmet (or MX helmet for some like myself). Doing so will hold the helmet high, centered and sway free unlike the Mach 3 design which I personally think does not work well.

That technique for the R20 may or may work for you though. It can be a tight fit and take a while to hook up. I can only use it for my med and large shelled helmets when the pack is half full or top half is stuffed with something soft like a sweater or towel. Also when the helmet is slung this way on the R20, access to the main compartment and outer pouch is a beotch but that's life.

Try both and see which you like!

I've used a tail bag and tank bag that converted to a pack before I got a trunk.
I've never liked the idea of a backpack while riding.

A conventional backpack with 2 shoulder straps can be really awkward to get on and off.And they provide a fulcrum point to snap your spine in the event of a get off.A trim teardrop shaped courier bag over one shoulder is much easier and a bit safer.If you go for the conventional type.Be sure to try it on with your full jacket and bap.
P1260001_zpsc7vhhube.jpg

P1260002_zpstmsqn1do.jpg

Last edited:
I actually was in the market for a new backpack also. I have the Ohio mach 5 and i think the only main difference I that it comes with a pouch and also has a carbon fiber look. The Ogio definitely looks way cooler but if you are talking about functionality I would get the kriega after my review of the Ogio.

The main difference is that the 5 has an extra zip that can be undone and create a couple more inches of room. The 3 doesn't have the expansion capability.

First post - I dont have an R20, however I do have a Kriega R25.

The Kriega is incredibly comfortable, well designed, and incredibly well made. Distributes weight incredibly well, easy to get on/off with a leather moto jacket - easier than you think, and easy to adjust while on.

Absolutely worth the money - I'm already looking for my next Kriega.

I have the Ogio and i really like it. The hard shell is key for me since i put my laptop in there.

That said, if you wanna carry a bunch of stuff, the hard shell makes for less conformity so not as spacious. You can also look at mach 5 if you need more room.

A conventional backpack with 2 shoulder straps can be really awkward to get on and off.And they provide a fulcrum point to snap your spine in the event of a get off.A trim teardrop shaped courier bag over one shoulder is much easier and a bit safer.If you go for the conventional type.Be sure to try it on with your full jacket and bap.

How exactly does a backpack serve as a fulcrum?

The contents are actually more the fulcrum.An impact on the contents could be concentrated to a small area where it contacts the wearers spine.A bap would help but not everyone wears one.

A conventional backpack with 2 shoulder straps can be really awkward to get on and off....

This is not true at all; just fully extend one of the straps every time you put the bag on or take it off and it's just as easy. I'm almost certain that every time someone posts how hard it is to put on/take off a back pack in an armored jacket, they haven't considered this simple task :\

I have a $40 "swiss gear" el-cheapo backpack that I've been using since I started riding. It carries shoes, a shirt, my lunch, and some stationary for work. I won't use it for any purpose other than riding now, cuz it has typical road grime you'd expect from 8 years of 400-series commuting, but I just can't justify $100+ for a smaller "riding" backpack.

I find those Ogio aerodynamic backpacks hilarious, but never tried one. The kriega R20 or R25 (how do you decide on the size?) is what I'll replace my cheapie bag with once it is no longer functional

Back
Top Bottom