Suspension guru to courtesy phone | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suspension guru to courtesy phone

inreb

Site Supporter
Or a good googleologist. Lower fork legs, female slider DR650. Brake and axle mounts are threaded on c/w super duty locking agent. I need to get them off. I've seen a couple pictures on ADVrider but no mention of the process. Any insight would be most appreciated.

I don't want to experiment just yet. I understand from a DR650 forum serious locking agent. Also set screw. I see something that might resemble a proud head but not sure what it is.

Heat worked easily when I was taking apart mine, on a different bike though.

Propane heat is enough? How did you hold the leg solid from spinning? Vice isn't going to be an option even with soft jaw. Amirite?

propane torch should be enough, your not looking to get the parts red hot, but hott enough to break the bond

you might get some discoloration but you should not be melting anything

how about an impact gun ?

is it any of the bolts pictured here

DSCN3280.JPG

That makes sense. I wonder if a paint stripper gun would work? I can find a way to grab the brake mount and axle thru mount but the round part will be hard lock down. Maybe I can make a self energizing (like auto trans band) rubber strap thingy? It's female slider, not chrome tube btw. Thanks.

ps nowhere to put impact. will look again.....

I'm trying to remove exactly what you're showing in your pic (brake and axle holder mount thingies) except it's on a conventional right side up fork.

When doing something involving heat, force and sometimes amperage it doesn't hurt to ask around. Too many times I wished I'd had a do over:p

They key to taking those off is heat and patience, let the heat soak in and be patient.

I'm also trying to remove one like that on a Triumph, and like inreb I see what appears to be a set screw, though the set screw is a b**** to remove. Still working on it but I'm thinking this is a moment that calls for brains over brawn.

Knowing what things are called helps. I just found out these axle and brake holders are called "lugs". It appears they are set screws peened over. If you get those out and proceed to spin the lug off you'll ruin the fine leg threads. Apparently they end mill the set screw hole to clean that up. I am getting some Triumph legs hard anodized and with the minimum charge figgered I'll thow other legs I have in as well. Now I'm starting to worry about solution cross contamination because the different (unknown) alloys.

Back
Top Bottom