tank bag | GTAMotorcycle.com

tank bag

GateKeeper

So I have this tank bag, and I want to put it on the bike, but I am not really sure as to how it goes, well I know how and where, but what holds it in place, it's not magnetic, there really are no straps, there is a part on the bottom that can be removed it attaches to the bag by velcro and it has to longish straps, but I still don't know how to actually secure the bag to the tank.

I got the bag with the bike, and it's in good shape, so wouldn't mind using it, and it actually has shoulder straps, so that you can actually use it as a small back pack

anyone have something similar or the same and can point me in the right direction, went to Oxfords site but no joy there either, nothing of use that I could find to help me out...

Thanks

20170123_212313.jpg

Looks like a tail bag where you can strap the base down then unzip the bag leaving the base on the bike.

I used to have the same bag. You could originally buy it with a magnetic base as a tankbag or with a strap/bungie base as a tailbag. I think you could purchase the bases separately and just zip them on/off depending on where you wanted to use the bag. You might be able to find the magnetic base somewhere on ebay, or just buy a bunch of rare earth magnet clusters and stick them in the pocket at the bottom.

It looks like bag probably came with straps that would strap somewhere under the tank to secure it. I have also seen specific tank covers that secure to the tank for bag mounting. I would try to rig something up with a standard strap that fits the securing point on the bag and then secure it under the tank to the frame or the seat and same for the front connection.

Could also try emailing oxford to see if they can supply the straps that came with it originally.

I used to have the same bag. You could originally buy it with a magnetic base as a tankbag or with a strap/bungie base as a tailbag. I think you could purchase the bases separately and just zip them on/off depending on where you wanted to use the bag. You might be able to find the magnetic base somewhere on ebay, or just buy a bunch of rare earth magnet clusters and stick them in the pocket at the bottom.

It looks like bag probably came with straps that would strap somewhere under the tank to secure it. I have also seen specific tank covers that secure to the tank for bag mounting. I would try to rig something up with a standard strap that fits the securing point on the bag and then secure it under the tank to the frame or the seat and same for the front connection.

Could also try emailing oxford to see if they can supply the straps that came with it originally.

Thanks guys...

seems it was a strap on bag, no magnets, no good to me anyways with magnets as the tank is covered in a plastic shell

I will see about using some bungie straps, but only use it on the tail portion of the bike, I don't want to scratch up the tank, anymore than I have to....

if nothing else I'll just let it sit on the shelf for the time being...

Cheers...

I have a tank bag with the magnets, it can used as a tail bag as well.

If you want it - its yours!

Let me correct myself - if you want it GateKeeper - it is yours ! lol.

Last edited:
Thanks....really appreciate the offer, and I'd take you up on it but......

my tank is plastic, or at least the coverings on the tank are plastic and carbon fiber so the magnets will not stick to it...

stop by, i've been meaning to talk to you about a few projects etc.

If you use one of those giant freezer zip lock bags, super glue that to your tank, it'll never move which is awesome especially when your just given er around bends, and if **** falls out, youll see whats missing because its see through. Isnt that awesome.!

If you use one of those giant freezer zip lock bags, super glue that to your tank, it'll never move which is awesome especially when your just given er around bends, and if **** falls out, youll see whats missing because its see through. Isnt that awesome.!

Ahh hell why didn't I think of that

I'll chuck the Oxford bag in the trash can, I think there are some freezer bags in the house, no super glue but masking tape will hold long enough to get to timmies and back for sure...

20170123_212313.jpg

oxford-lifetime-x30-tank-bag_5.jpg

I think you're just missing the back strap that typically gets routed in a loop from those two buckles on the right of your photo, under the back tip of the gas tank, routed forward of what ever is keeping the rear of the tank secure to the frame (eg. bolt).

You can remove the bag and leave the base with the bike, right? So you don't even need a quick release on the strap. Scrounge some 1" webbing from some store with a camping/outdoor section. Cut any excess off and melt the edges like with polypropylene rope or tuck it under the base.

If you have to get more complicated, head to KW Surplus in Kitchener. They have all kinds of webbing, buckles and quick releases for a few dollars per pack.

Thanks guys...

seems it was a strap on bag, no magnets, no good to me anyways with magnets as the tank is covered in a plastic shell

I will see about using some bungie straps, but only use it on the tail portion of the bike, I don't want to scratch up the tank, anymore than I have to....

if nothing else I'll just let it sit on the shelf for the time being...

Cheers...

If you care about your tank and still want a bag, look into the Givi Tanklock solutions. I have the XS307 and nothing actually touches the tank, so zero chance of any scratches.

Back
Top Bottom