Motorcycle Winter Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Winter Tires

Are these tires enough to satisfy the Quebec mandatory winter tire law, therefore allowing Quebec riders to still take their bikes out during the warm periods of these mild winters?

Anlas also appears to offer a more aggressive M&S tire:

https://www.dualsportplus.com/product_p/capra-x.htm

ANLAS has been making quality motorcycle tires in Turkey for 40 years and offers the Capra-X model for
enduro and dual sport riders. The ANLAS Capra-X uses a stiff bias ply carcass and a high silica Mud &
Snow compound which offers high levels of grip in all conditions. We have 4 sets being tested in Canada
& Mexico and have been getting excellent results on dirty winter roads and down to -10 degrees, as well
as serious canyon carving at maximum lean and speeds exceeding 140 kph and 20 degrees. Gravel road
performance is extremely good at high speeds with a very sure footed feel. Off-road performance is also
excellent in dry rock and sandy conditions, as well as mud…as good as mud gets with a 500 lb bike, And
they run fairly smooth and very quiet for a full knob tire. In stock now.

Are these tires enough to satisfy the Quebec mandatory winter tire law, therefore allowing Quebec riders to still take their bikes out during the warm periods of these mild winters?

I think they need to have the 'snowflake' on the sidewall to pass. What sizes do you need ?

I have a set of these on my DL650. Thus far, they've been fantastic. (Un?)fortunately, I was out of the country for a month so far this winter, so I've missed some opportunities to really test them.

Yes, they have the snowflake and mountain on them. There's some debate about the Winter certification, since in theory, it would be nigh impossible for motorcycle tires to be tested on the 4 wheeled testing apparatus.

Supposedly they're selling like hotcakes in Quebec due to their strict winter tire requirements, so we should see some feedback from them about how much the police recognize their snowflakes.

Check out the thread at http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?199607-Proper-winter-tires

Go to home depot, get a box of some self tapping stainless screws, drill the **** outta them tires, you'll shoot sparks too and people will think your bikes bad ***.

Go to home depot, get a box of some self tapping stainless screws, drill the **** outta them tires, you'll shoot sparks too and people will think your bikes bad ***.

Unfortunately, if the motorcycle is registered south of Parry Sound (roughly), there is a steep fine for having studded tires. Technically, even north of Parry Sound, generic self tapping stainless screws would also be illegal.

There was a discussion late last fall or early winter here on these tires. A search will probably pull it up.

Long story short, the mountain and snowflake symbol usage on these tires is not legitimate as there is no method for them to be tested to even see if they adhere to the standards If people in Quebec are using these to get around the restrictions it's only a matter of time before everything comes out of the woodwork in regards to the tires not being legit.

That's not to say I'm personally against them, I'm just saying that they have basically taken a symbol that denotes a certification they can't possibly have and stamped it on a tire wrongly.

..a certification they can't possibly have and stamped it on a tire wrongly.

As far as we know. Heck, they could have stuffed 4 motorcycle tires on the testing truck for all we know. Seems unlikely, but whatever. They're certainly better than summer tires in winter (from personal experience), and we in Ontario don't have a legal requirement for certified winter tires. Fortunately, we can watch if anyone questions their certification in Quebec without losing any sleep over it.

You don't need to search for the other thread; I posted a link to it in post 6 here.

Back
Top Bottom