RE: Parking a Trailer in your driveway - do you need a permit? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RE: Parking a Trailer in your driveway - do you need a permit?

Re: Parking a Trailer in your driveway - do you need a permit?

well fu$k me as it turns out, the way i am parking the trailer is illegal, called the city again yesterday because i just had a bad feeling about it and got the same wishy washy answer, but got to speak with the supervisor and long story short, the way i would be parking it would be illegal. i am looking for a place to park the trailer, but i guess the way the city works is if someone complains i get a letter and 2 weeks to move it, following that any more complaints i get a fine.
does anyone have any idea how much those fines are? are we talking 100, 1000, 5000???
i am actually ok with storing it offsite, i just want to know the consequences if someone starts complaining, considering ideally i would like want to park the trailer in my driveway the day before a track day or dirtbike day so i can get it reloaded and ready to rock first thing the next day.

thanks
The bylaws have changed over the years

from this

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/Bylaws/Archive/283-1980.pdf

and many like it, to the new and improved one below

but I can't find the exact bylaw

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/Building-Permits/zoning/Pages/BoatsandTrailers.aspx

[h=1]Boats and Trailers[/h] The City’s zoning by-law does not permit boats or trailers to be parked in the front yard or in any side yard that abuts a street. The only exception to this rule is a pop-up camping trailer that is not longer than 5.0 metres (16.4 feet) that is parked/stored in the collapsed position.
The zoning by-law will permit one (1) of the following vehicles and/or trailers to be parked and stored in the rear or interior side yard of a residential property:

• A boat
  • A snowmobile
  • A personalized motorized water craft
  • A utility trailer
  • A boat on a trailer, together not exceeding 7 metres (23 feet) in length
  • One or two snowmobiles on a trailer, together not exceeding 7 metres (23 feet) in length
  • One or two personal motorized water crafts on a trailer, together not exceeding 7.0 metres (23 feet) in length
Trailers that meet the zoning requirements for storage are not permitted to be used for the accommodation or occupation of people.

now if you could only get in the back or side....

now if you could only get in the back or side....

I'm sure the neighbours would appreciate the crane that pulls up every friday and sunday to free/put back your toys. How many houses have an interior side yard that is wide enough to put anything?

Here is the exact By-law. Trailer regulations are on page 5:

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/BUSINESS/...OB ZONING/CATEGORY/SECTION_10_RESIDENTIAL.PDF

Front yard (page 20 on the link below) is anything forward of the part of the house closest to the street. Most houses in Brampton are too close to their side lot lines to fit a trailer, so basically, it's not allowed unless it's a travel trailer. Trailer definitions are found on page 19 here:

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Business/...B Zoning/GENERALPRO/Section 5 Definitions.pdf

If you read it in detail, you might technically get away with it if you put a cot in the trailer. Try it, and save these sections of the by-law in case an inspector sends you notice. Sometimes you can take advantage of poorly worded by-laws, but I'd still have a back-up plan just in case.

Last edited:

Hey,
just wondering if you need a parking permit or anything special to park a trailer in your driveway.
i am looking at a 6'by12' or 14' enclosed trailer, and it would fit on our paved driveway and not extend over the sidewalk or lawn.

thanks in advance,
Jason

Just curious what you ended up doing?

If you're in a place where there are lots of HOA's, meaning the people are generally soft and allow someone else to tell them what they can't have on their own property, I can see this being a thing. Around here though if somebody came knocking, saying you couldn't have a trailer in your own driveway, they'd probably leave the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom