One week in South America, where to? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

One week in South America, where to?

thanks, both the wife and I got the surfing bug this year in Costa Rica, so we are talking about heading down to Nicaragua next year for a week on the beach, mostly surfing, maybe hike up a volcano or 2

Surfing is supposed to be good there, you're a little way away from the best (active) volcanoes (2h) although others are nearby. I can't talk about the beach towns in Nicaragua as I stayed in Granada but for surfing you should also look at Nosara in Costa Rica. It feels really remote and is pretty much undeveloped. You'll need a 4x4 to get around so it starts to get a bit pricier though. Nicaragua is cheap enough to hire drivers. I booked a great VRBO place in Nosara last year which was about $100 US a night for an entire house on a mountainside with a pool. Pm me for details if you need them. I looked at San Juan Del Sur in Nicaragua for accommodation and saw some decent deals on VRBO there too. The $$CDN goes way further in Nicaragua than it does anywhere else though except maybe Guatemala.

I enjoyed Peru. Stayed with some locals (which was sometimes like camping as they weren't very well off, had to get used to cockroaches being around my bed and sometimes no hot water). Took cars, mototaxis, trains, planes, boats all over the country. Got lost in a desert in a minivan looking for the Canyon of the Lost. Visited Maccu Piccu, lots of other ruins, Nazca. It was a pretty good time. I hear it can be pretty dangerous if you don't know people, though. Only one guy tried to sell me cocaine. Coca tea is pretty good though and apparently if you drink 5 whole pots of it it's like doing a line lol.

Didn't do the multi-day hike to Maccu Piccu. My aunt and uncle did and said it was fun but very rough especially since my aunt doesn't camp.

Surfing is supposed to be good there, you're a little way away from the best (active) volcanoes (2h) although others are nearby. I can't talk about the beach towns in Nicaragua as I stayed in Granada but for surfing you should also look at Nosara in Costa Rica. It feels really remote and is pretty much undeveloped. You'll need a 4x4 to get around so it starts to get a bit pricier though. Nicaragua is cheap enough to hire drivers. I booked a great VRBO place in Nosara last year which was about $100 US a night for an entire house on a mountainside with a pool. Pm me for details if you need them. I looked at San Juan Del Sur in Nicaragua for accommodation and saw some decent deals on VRBO there too. The $$CDN goes way further in Nicaragua than it does anywhere else though except maybe Guatemala.
Coworker went to Nicaragua for surfing and enjoyed it. He did say it was the sketchiest place he's ever been to and multiple times thought he was going to be kidnapped or robbed but he never actually had any real issues.

Coworker went to Nicaragua for surfing and enjoyed it. He did say it was the sketchiest place he's ever been to and multiple times thought he was going to be kidnapped or robbed but he never actually had any real issues.

It definitely looked sketchy in parts but most of that was due to poverty. We had the local market situated in the street behind us and we went one day and it was a sensory overload. Blood all over the dirt floor from the meat sellers, fish guts, stalls packed together so tightly you squeezed through dark "tunnels" to get around, so much noise and action. It was amazing.

Got back from Colombia, didn't get robbed or kidnapped. Actually, felt super safe most of the time, most dangerous thing there are the drivers.

Did three days in Medellin, two in Armenia and area (coffee district), and two in Cartagena.

Had a great time, would highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom