One week in South America, where to? | GTAMotorcycle.com

One week in South America, where to?

regder

Site Supporter
Trying to decide where to go as I've never been to that side of the world. A recent quick trip to Mexico has me itching to explore more Latin America.

I'll have 7-8 days to explore and screw around, this will probably be sometime in February, possibly March depending on scheduling.

Not looking for anything too touristy, but a genuine experience. I'm more a fan of big cities, people, and overall energy, than seeing historic ruins. If it's cheaper on the travel budget, that's a plus.

Appreciate any ideas.

Last edited:
Two trips I did south were to Manaus in Brazil where we stayed in the Amazon Jungle for 10 days - that was pretty awesome. For Brazil since you like cities, you could check out Sao Paulo or Rio and then hit up the Amazon.

Another place we liked but was in Central Amercia is Belize - if you are into snorkeling/scuba diving the reef is pretty sweet. We went into Guatemala too which was interesting and a place I would like to spend more time in.

Friends of ours who backpacked across South America kept saying they liked Colombia the best and Boliva for cheap. To go from tip to tip in Chile would be pretty sweet.

Went to Quito for a week last July, it was a stopover before and after a trip to the Galapagos Islands. Place seemed nice. Lots of Cathedrals, and hustle and bustle. Didn't see or hear of any pickpockets. It's quite high. Some of our group went higher into the Andes which was described by one as like being hit with a 2x4 in the back of the head. Later on they took a tour through the Amazon as well. Hotels were good. Brush up on your Spanish as the taxi drivers don't usually speak English. We ended up reserving one for a day and getting around with gestures, Spanglish, and phone pictures/maps. Tourism seems down there, so there might be some good deals to be had.

I like Central America a lot. I'll be in Nicaragua soon for a week. One of my favourite places is Panama. It has everything Costa Rica has but it's more accessible and less tourists. Panama City has just what you are looking for in a City but stay away from the bad areas. An hour and a half away from the city you can get a VRBO or AirBnB rental for about $100 US in a village nestled inside an extinct Volcano crater. Rent a car and you're 40 mins drive away from deserted beaches. Go visit the Panama Canal, if you want to get away from it all take an internal flight to Bocas and stay in a hotel on stilts in the sea and enjoy island hopping, picking your own pineapples and searching for poison arrow frogs.

I should add that I picked Nicaragua precisely because of the budget (and the volcanos). It's very $$$CDN friendly. I'm paying $120US a night on accommodation because I splurged on a villa that sleeps 8 and has its own pool. This is just for me and the missus. Only ever been there for the day before but it all seems fine. I've been to every country in Central America except Belize and enjoyed them all except for the big cities in Honduras which were pretty sketchy. The coast (mainland, not Roatan) was beautiful though. Only ever been to Columbia in South America but I really enjoyed that. Cartagena was amazing. I still keep going back to Panama though.

We really loved Latin America. We spent about a year and a half traveling in Central and South America. Here are list of our favorite places:

Medellin, Colombia: We stayed here for six weeks. Very nice city with a lot of young people. It's the second largest city in Colombia, but still pretty chill. It's up in the mountains, so the temperature is 20C all year round. El Poblado is the swankier part of town, but well affordable on a western budget.

Cartagena: If you are looking for action, nightlife and vibrant Caribbean culture, this is the place to go. You have to go a bit out of town for the really nice beaches, but it's an exciting happening place which might fit what you're looking for. Very hot and humid, lots of mosquitos. We liked it a lot though.

Antigua, Guatemala: Just 45 minutes outside of the largest, dirtiest, noisiest and most dangerous city in Guatemala, Antigua is the exact opposite. It's the ultimate in chill. A sleepy, colloquial village, cobble-stone streets, boutiquey stores and restaurants. Also up in the mountains, so not as hot and humid. Good for hiking. We spent over two months here relaxing. You can go into Guatemala City, but it's nowhere as nice as Antigua.

Quito, Ecuador: Another place we really liked. Ecuador is the most safest, prosperous country in South America, very western-like in its standards, yet still maintaining its Latin American feel. A large city with lots happening, it can also be used as a jumping off point to the Galapagos Islands. However, that requires more time to appreciate, I don't recommend you try to do both in a week.

I spent a week in Venezuela , it was awesome and educational. The political and economic climate has changed and I will not go back any time soon. You can leave Venezuela off your list.
Also did a week in Patagonia, it was truly beautiful however it was pretty expensive to get there, stay there, eat there...

Columbia is fantastic. Lots to do no matter what you're into and I didn't find anywhere overly touristy.

Looking into going to Panama next month so I'll watch this thread for any advice.

Columbia is fantastic. Lots to do no matter what you're into and I didn't find anywhere overly touristy.

Looking into going to Panama next month so I'll watch this thread for any advice.

I've been 5 times now I think. Backpacking, renting cars, internal flights, different parts of the country. I love it although some places have changed because of an influx of gringos that can't leave their creature comforts at home. For instance one place advertises a drive through coffee place and jazz nights in a village that used to be coffee plantations, hot springs and a friendly mix of locals and expats. I'm not sure why you'd travel to a foreign country and then try to mould it into a mini version of home. Shoot me a PM for any info.

Forgot to update this. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Leaving next Sunday morning to Bogota, six hour layover (wanted more, but that flight was the best option), then to Medellin. Flying out of Cartagena the following week Monday evening.

I'm in Medellin now ripping around on a Yamaha n max scooter. It's good for riding as it's mountainous but pavement condition varies all over the place. You can rent an n max or other scooter while you're here. I don't have a Colombian cell phone but I use whatsapp. Send me a pm and I'll give you my contact details.

Leaving next Sunday morning to Bogota, six hour layover (wanted more, but that flight was the best option), then to Medellin. Flying out of Cartagena the following week Monday evening.

Great choice. Let us know how you liked it when you're back.

Nice, I was in Medellin, Cartagena, Santa Marta and Taganga last winter. Cartagena was by far my favourite.

Dont skip the Bandeja Paisa while in Medellin

I should add that I picked Nicaragua precisely because of the budget (and the volcanos). It's very $$$CDN friendly. I'm paying $120US a night on accommodation because I splurged on a villa that sleeps 8 and has its own pool. This is just for me and the missus. Only ever been there for the day before but it all seems fine. I've been to every country in Central America except Belize and enjoyed them all except for the big cities in Honduras which were pretty sketchy. The coast (mainland, not Roatan) was beautiful though. Only ever been to Columbia in South America but I really enjoyed that. Cartagena was amazing. I still keep going back to Panama though.

i'd like to hear what you think of Nicaragua, planing this as my next Latin America destination

Got back the other day. Nicaragua is fantastic and I'll be going back as soon as I can. Very inexpensive, some examples: beer in a bar $1.50, a good meal in a good restaurant for 2 with drinks $25, Spanish lessons $8 per hour, taxi journey anywhere in town $1, taxi ride 30mins or more away..wait an hour or so and return $20-25, VRBO accommodation we stayed in was a Casa in town minutes away from sights (Granada) sleeps 8 with a private pool and AC in every room plus kitchen and garage = $124US total per night. It was cheap enough that the 2 of us just stayed in it. Weather...stinky hot,33C or more every day. Do any hiking early in the morning or after 3pm. Souvenirs were silly cheap..$8 for hand made pottery, $6-7 for a T shirt, $8 for a hammock. Big bottle of rum for $7 or so I think. Safety...about as safe as any Central American city. Use street smarts, don't take out money in crowded areas where people can pickpocket, don't flash jewellery (leave it at home actually), watch surroundings. I felt safe everywhere. The wife was fine too. Amazing breathtaking sights. I only got to hike around one volcano and was going to go to an active one but the wife came down with travellers tummy from the water we think. We visited a coffee plantation though and saw sloths etc.

Totally recommend it but it depends on what kind of vacation you like.

Got back the other day. Nicaragua is fantastic and I'll be going back as soon as I can. Very inexpensive, some examples: beer in a bar $1.50, a good meal in a good restaurant for 2 with drinks $25, Spanish lessons $8 per hour, taxi journey anywhere in town $1, taxi ride 30mins or more away..wait an hour or so and return $20-25, VRBO accommodation we stayed in was a Casa in town minutes away from sights (Granada) sleeps 8 with a private pool and AC in every room plus kitchen and garage = $124US total per night. It was cheap enough that the 2 of us just stayed in it. Weather...stinky hot,33C or more every day. Do any hiking early in the morning or after 3pm. Souvenirs were silly cheap..$8 for hand made pottery, $6-7 for a T shirt, $8 for a hammock. Big bottle of rum for $7 or so I think. Safety...about as safe as any Central American city. Use street smarts, don't take out money in crowded areas where people can pickpocket, don't flash jewellery (leave it at home actually), watch surroundings. I felt safe everywhere. The wife was fine too. Amazing breathtaking sights. I only got to hike around one volcano and was going to go to an active one but the wife came down with travellers tummy from the water we think. We visited a coffee plantation though and saw sloths etc.

Totally recommend it but it depends on what kind of vacation you like.

thanks, both the wife and I got the surfing bug this year in Costa Rica, so we are talking about heading down to Nicaragua next year for a week on the beach, mostly surfing, maybe hike up a volcano or 2

Back
Top Bottom