Stinger trailer experiences . | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stinger trailer experiences .

I wonder how people all over Europe tow 'caravans' with itty-bitty 4-bangers, seemingly with no problem? Sure, they have a lot more diesel vehicles than we do, but I doubt all those small diesels have much higher load capacities than their gasoline equivalents, considering they are likely built on the same frames/unibodies.

I think we are overly power obsessed here in N.A.. Nowhere in the world have I seen the monster pickups like we have here, yet stuff still gets moved and trailers still get towed.

Vehicles in Europe DO have higher tow ratings than identical NA models. That's a common discussion in towing forums, and in the end, that's typically for 2 reasons:

- A less litigious society.
- Better trained and behaved drivers who are less likely to have accidents to begin with vs NA drivers
- Generally less challenging terrain and much smaller distances. The NA market has to take into consideration mountains/grades/challenges that are very uncommon in Europe, not to mention the fact that NA is vastly bigger so trailers travel longer/further.

Now, all that said, "caravans" (what we call an RV or camper trailer here) in Europe are built to incredibly light standards compared to our trailers here. An RV that would weight 2500# in NA can easily come in at only a little over 1000# in Europe. They're built differently from the ground up and are also equipped much differently inside, more spartan and with smaller/lighter/less.

In the world of horse trailers for quite a while there were companies that were importing European models to the North American market because of the fact that they were so stupidly light compared to the "standard" horse trailers we use here, so accordingly, they could be towed by smaller cars - again, that stereotypical "wow, big trailer for a small car" situation you mention. They suffered from image problems here though ("That seems like too much trailer for such a small car"), not to mention durability issues - you can't build things paper thin and light without a trade off in the end.

Last edited:
I have built three trailers from parts purchased at Harbor Freight, and they have all been great successes. I haul a 650 V-Strom from Florida to Toronto and back (5000 Km round trip) and I have done this over ten times. The total distance is greater than the planet's circumference.

I add a wall, about half a meter high, in front, and bolt my spare tires to that. This shield provides some protection for the bike or bikes aboard.

Here is what to do about carrying the kit from USA into Canada. Declare the contents as "trailer parts", exactly what they are. The duty on $250 worth of metal and wheels is not very much, and may be waived. You are NOT importing a vehicle; you are carrying some of the parts to help you build a trailer. You do not need to get a form at the border or at some edifice in Toronto. When you complete the trailer, make a note of its VIN (on a metal tag near the front), and tell the folks at the license office that you have built a trailer from parts and need it licensed. I understand there may be an inspection, and a consequent fee, but the trailer will have a nice plate and registration. The Ontario trailer license does not expire. Your agent can tell you if stuff being hauled is covered by your insurance.

If it's a nuisance to store it, SELL IT! you will make a profit if you did neat work, and you can do it all again next time you need a trailer.

Good luck.

Travel in style! Get a setup like this.
9ac2bdd63dd3dbb31133f3d492619440.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

When you complete the trailer, make a note of its VIN (on a metal tag near the front), and tell the folks at the license office that you have built a trailer from parts and need it licensed. I understand there may be an inspection, and a consequent fee, but the trailer will have a nice plate and registration.

You were doing very well until this part. Don't install the VIN plate, register it as a homebuilt trailer and no inspection is required. You end up with a registered trailer and a plate.

Had a trailer in a bag, end up switching it for my current open trailer.

The main reason is that it uses the bike as a frame to give the trailer its stability, but the moment the tie downs get slightly lose which happens every time since they are being pulled you get a really bad wooble and you got to immediately stop and tighten it all down again for it can happen allover again in 100km. I used different tie down systems, tied the ends with gorilla tape etc, nothing worked as naturally the tie downs flex and stretch just enough to create the wooble. This does not happen with an open trailer since they have their own frame.

If you are just going close by or around the city it's fine, but once you hit the HWY for any length, be prepared to stop many times

I would love to have a stinger, If I could justify the price.

There's one for sale for $950 on the careers section, highly recommend that.

Id get it but even broken down it won't fit in my garage....now the "trailer in a bag" system I'd be all over.

You are not thinking of the salt dust that will go everywhere including in your air filter through the air vents which if you don't replace will then go in your engine. Then that same salt dust will get in other places you can't clean and rust your bike. I got no issue with dirt or salt water or anything else, salt dust is a different animal.

My god, snow and salt splashing on a bike? The horror!!!

I towed a motorcycle from Montreal last year in winter, zero issues.
Not that I expected any.
And as Brian said, don't use a cover.

Open trailers are affordable. Closed ones usually at least double the price for the size.

Last edited:
You are not thinking of the salt dust that will go everywhere including in your air filter through the air vents which if you don't replace will then go in your engine.

Unless you are one of those people with one of those "spike" air filters or one of those silly "hypercharger" things (both of which point into the wind) most stock airboxes are designed in such a way as to intentionally be very selective about where they "breathe" from as to avoid ingesting things like driving rain in the summer months.

With the engine not actually running, therefore zero actual airflow, it's doubtful anything at all will actually get to the filter itself, and if it did (your concern about salt dust), well....the filter will filter, and nothing will make it to the engine.

Unless you are one of those people with one of those "spike" air filters or one of those silly "hypercharger" things (both of which point into the wind) most stock airboxes are designed in such a way as to intentionally be very selective about where they "breathe" from as to avoid ingesting things like driving rain in the summer months.

With the engine not actually running, therefore zero actual airflow, it's doubtful anything at all will actually get to the filter itself, and if it did (your concern about salt dust), well....the filter will filter, and nothing will make it to the engine.
Reason I am saying it is because I took my race bike for some suspension work in January 2014 to Sherrard on my open trailer, when i came back did some maintenance and the air filter was visibly full of salt dust, and so was the rest of the bike and god only knows other spots hidden to the eye.. It's not a maybe or hypothetical, It happen to me.

zx10 intake
kawasaki_zx10r_2016_windscreen-3.png

R1 intake
2016-Yamaha-YZF-R1-EU-Race-Blu-Detail-006.jpg

GSXR1000
2017-Suzuki-GSX-R1000-concept-dev-04.jpg

Ducati air intake

2000000042.jpg

At the end you guys do what you wish, meh.

Last edited:
You are not thinking of the salt dust that will go everywhere including in your air filter through the air vents which if you don't replace will then go in your engine. Then that same salt dust will get in other places you can't clean and rust your bike. I got no issue with dirt or salt water or anything else, salt dust is a different animal.

Good point.

Back
Top Bottom