What could be the best motor oil? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What could be the best motor oil?

gustavowoltmann

Hello everyone my name is Gustavo Woltmann and I am an assistant in a small and private publishers company for over 10 years. Just want to ask from the motor experts here about the best motor oil you are using and why?

50:50 Slick 50 to whatever is handy except coconut oil.

Best or nothing kind of person? xD

My vote goes for BelRay but it really does depend on application. What type of vehicle you are using it in, HD Truck, Car, motorcycle, dirtbike, atv, salad? 2 stroke or 4 stroke, fuel petrol/diesel/hydrogen/electric? Racing, street cruising, offroad?

So many variables, but my preference is BelRay. May or may not be the best but it's what I like and works for what I plan to do with my bike.

Slightly off topic but since I'm sure someone will say Rotella is the answer to this question, I have a question about Rotella.

Rotella T is supposed to be the conventional version.
Rotella T5 is semi-synthetic (blend).
Rotella T6 is full synthetic.

So why is the T5 (semi-synth) cheaper than the T (non-synth) and what the heck is Rotella T4 I saw at Canadian Tire the other day? I think they may have had one labelled as T3 as well.

Slightly off topic but since I'm sure someone will say Rotella is the answer to this question, I have a question about Rotella.

So why is the T5 (semi-synth) cheaper than the T (non-synth) and what the heck is Rotella T4 I saw at Canadian Tire the other day? I think they may have had one labelled as T3 as well.

Pretty sure price-wise it's T < T5 < T6. Looking at crappy tire's website right now, for 5L jugs it's T ($30) < T5 ($35) <T6 ($48)

Yeah, previous threads seemed to have Rotella the highest.

T3 is heavy duty truck stuff, good for both super duty diesel and gas engines. I believe T4 is strictly diesel and meant more for medium duty vehicles.

As for why the T5 is cheaper than the T, I would suspect different esters used, limiting it to either dry clutch machines, or turbo specific engines.

I use Coconut oil. I put some lime in it as well. Then I mix it all up.

Pretty sure price-wise it's T < T5 < T6. Looking at crappy tire's website right now, for 5L jugs it's T ($30) < T5 ($35) <T6 ($48)
Hmm maybe there was a sale I didn't notice. I was looking at the huge pails they have. I expected pricing to be as you described.

Yeah, previous threads seemed to have Rotella the highest.

T3 is heavy duty truck stuff, good for both super duty diesel and gas engines. I believe T4 is strictly diesel and meant more for medium duty vehicles.

As for why the T5 is cheaper than the T, I would suspect different esters used, limiting it to either dry clutch machines, or turbo specific engines.

I was under the impression that all Rotella is technically supposed to be for heavy duty diesel engines.

I was under the impression that all Rotella is technically supposed to be for heavy duty diesel engines.

I use T6 in my STi because it's diesel oil: no "energy saving" piss-like consistency and excellent shear characteristics. I think T6 and T4 (at least) are also JASO MA and MA2 rated so no friction modifiers to screw up your wet clutch.

As far as "best oil" I'm sure there are oils better suited to certain conditions. For everyday street riding I doubt there's any notable difference between oils; lots of taxicabs and police cars use bulk-bought milquetoast oils and live forever in pretty punishing conditions. I'm sure our street bikes won't care one way or the other as long as the oil is JASO-rated.

For track days I'd want to go to a full-synth instead of dino but make probably doesn't matter much.

not this again

I use this brand too. Top notch stuff. The only downside is they don't sell Not This Again in 4L jugs or 20L pails, just the 1L bottles.

OP, go to Royal Distributing, GP Bikes, or any other reputable dealer with oil. This topic is far too subjective.

Tell them what bike you have, and decide based on your options. They're all going to be capable products.

From a quick look at their products page, it seems that T1 is a non synthetic for diesel only and designed for less carbon build up, T4 is extended life full synthetic for even more miles before a change, T5 Synthetic especially good for cold starts, T5 Ultra is a balance between low and high temps, and both T6 are for extreme heat, works with both petrol and diesel engines. HD seems better for race applications, Multi-purpose for commercial use/fuel econony. I also noticed a few of them don't have Winter grade/viscosity listed, which I am not so sure as to why. T6 HD Full Synth, T5 Synth and T1 Straight grade.

Back
Top Bottom