international race licence? | GTAMotorcycle.com

international race licence?

Nick_f

Site Supporter
I'm doing a track day on philip island in March.

I don't have an M licence, but did tell them I have a race licence, and race with SOAR.

They originally said, that it should be fine, but send them a copy of the race licence.

I took a picture, and sent it in. Now they said that they won't accept my SOAR licence.

Is there a race licence I can obtain?

I let my M2 expire years ago, and waiting to hear back if using a M1 would be alright.

I posted the conversation below

Hi Nick. Thanks for your message. A current motorcycle licence (either road or race) is a circuit requirement for Phillip Island, as well as being a legal requirement for the hire of the bike. If you are racing, then I would assume you have a racing licence? If so, then that will be enough. Does that help?
*sent pic of licence*
Hi Nick. I'm not sure if the track will accept this licence as it is not issued by either a road traffic authority, or a controlling body of motorcycle sport, but rather a private organisation, This unfortunately does not meet the requirements of the contract we sign with the circuit. Please understand, i am not questioning your ability to ride a motorcycle, merely the legal requirements I have with the circuit and also my own insurers. Is this the only licence you have?

This is the only licence i have. I do have a normal drivers licence.In canada we have a graduated licence for motorcycles. M1 being a beginner licence with restrictions, M2 has minor restrictions, and M that has no resections.I can go get a M1 licence before the trip, but it is only considered a beginner licence. restrictions of this licence are, you can't ride at night, can't ride on major highways, and can't ride with a passenger. Licence is only valid for 90 days.will that work, if it is issued by the government? let me know, and i will go book and write the test.

Last edited:
It's up to them if they are willing to accept the M1, but it is a motorcycle road licence issued by a traffic authority.

If they are looking for a more formal 'race' license you can I believe get a CMA race Licence which I think is FIM arm for Canada. I believe Stacey had to do this before she headed over for the Red Bull tryouts.

Just got a reply, i don't think there is a CC restriction for an m1?

Hi Nick. I'm also not sure if that will work. Believe me, I'm trying to help you here, but, we need to consider the possible outcomes. Let's say we manage to get you past the gate Nazi (the track guy who checks licences), and we waive our normal requirements...and...you have a crash...and...let's say this crash involves another rider who gets hurt pretty bad. The outcome of that is that I then have a legal case where I've got to stand accused of letting a rider on track that did not meet the licence requirements of the circuit, or the policies that we stipulate.Now...I'm not suggesting the above scenario will happen...but...something similar has before. Fortunately we had followed out policies and gone by the rules, so we ended up only have a minor settlement related to that. Had he been successful, it would have been around a $350,000 payout and would have shut down our business. (not sure if you're aware of this or not, but insurances don't cover is if we don't adhere to the policies).From what I can see, SOAR is not a controlling body of motorsport (such as the AMA in the States, the ACU in the UK, FIM internationally & MA in Australia). For you to attend the day you will need either a road going licence that applies to the motorcycle you are riding (which is not the one you stipulate that you can obtain...unless of course that licence, despite its restrictions, allows you to operate a 1000cc motorcycle?), or a race licence issued by the controlling body of motorcycle sport in your country. These are the guidelines i have to operate by and are not flexible in any way.I'm really hoping you can come up with a solution Nick. But if you can't, I have to stick to the policies we stipulate for attending one of our days. I hope and trust you understand this position and realise that I really have no other option.Let me know how you go...Best,Steve

Just got a reply, i don't think there is a CC restriction for an m1?

Hi Nick. I'm also not sure if that will work. Believe me, I'm trying to help you here, but, we need to consider the possible outcomes. Let's say we manage to get you past the gate Nazi (the track guy who checks licences), and we waive our normal requirements...and...you have a crash...and...let's say this crash involves another rider who gets hurt pretty bad. The outcome of that is that I then have a legal case where I've got to stand accused of letting a rider on track that did not meet the licence requirements of the circuit, or the policies that we stipulate.Now...I'm not suggesting the above scenario will happen...but...something similar has before. Fortunately we had followed out policies and gone by the rules, so we ended up only have a minor settlement related to that. Had he been successful, it would have been around a $350,000 payout and would have shut down our business. (not sure if you're aware of this or not, but insurances don't cover is if we don't adhere to the policies).From what I can see, SOAR is not a controlling body of motorsport (such as the AMA in the States, the ACU in the UK, FIM internationally & MA in Australia). For you to attend the day you will need either a road going licence that applies to the motorcycle you are riding (which is not the one you stipulate that you can obtain...unless of course that licence, despite its restrictions, allows you to operate a 1000cc motorcycle?), or a race licence issued by the controlling body of motorcycle sport in your country. These are the guidelines i have to operate by and are not flexible in any way.I'm really hoping you can come up with a solution Nick. But if you can't, I have to stick to the policies we stipulate for attending one of our days. I hope and trust you understand this position and realise that I really have no other option.Let me know how you go...Best,Steve

Ya Google CMA COMPETITION LICENCE. That's what they are looking for. FIM organization.

To participate in Phillip Island Ride Days you will need to hold a minimum Provisional Motorcycle Licence issued by the road transport authority in your state/country.
Go take the M1 licence, bring the supporting documentation from the motorcycle riders handbook. There is no CC displacement restriction,

Last edited:
I would double-prong this. Get the M1 road license and bring the government documentation that states what the restrictions are (i.e. that a displacement restriction is not one of them) and try to get the CMA license in the meantime.

It's rather odd and frustrating that the recognised international body for roadracing in Canada has no day-to-day involvement whatsoever, but it is what it is.

To get an FIM you need to buy a CMA,, to get a CMA license you need to go through Marilynn Bastedo,, She will not give you a license for a track day. If all else fails is there a school you can do down there prior to the track day?
No other country in the world has the separation we do from track activities to the governing body of road racing,,the CMA,,, or Marlynn. But there in lies a whole new storey. The problem being Marilynn will not recognize any organization, even CSBK. Even though they only run some mini road race events out west, they still think they are heavily involved in Canadian Roadracing. Try another route and save yourself grief.

Competition Registration Form
  • For our 2017 Competition Membership Application, please Click Here.
    This Application must be filled out completely, signed and mailed to our office with full payment.
    (605 James St. North, 4th Floor, Hamilton, Ontario, L8L 1J9).
    Fax or Email Competition Applications can not be accepted.

http://www.canmocycle.ca/

Here is the funniest part of all of this. If and when you contact Marilyn to get a FIM license. She will (usually within the hour) email me to confirm your ability in order to approve your application. I go through this EVERY time a SOAR racer wants to race AMA or in Europe. Hey Nick just call her and she will call me. Its the most ridiculous thing Canadian racers have to go through. Unfortunately the rest of the world has a FIM sanctioning body that actually HAS something to do with roadracing. Not so in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom