Fork Bushings | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork Bushings

inreb

Site Supporter
Is it common that wear items like bushings are not available for low grade damper rod forks? (41mmKYB) Or other forks for that matter? Bit of a fright today, parts fiche doesn't show lower bushings (on the chrome stanchion tube). These are worn looking and need replacement. Also sealing ring on damper rod cannot be bought separate from damper rod. That kind of limits a "rebuild". Would anybody know a non OEM suspension bits and bobs supplier?

Thanks for that^ unfortunately I read a thread where some posters claim hit and miss on the rebuild kits. Trying to cover too many models, some items not fitting also questionable quality and not answering contacts to address issues. I just found Race Tech, seems more credible:dontknow:

This sounds very familiar. I think I remember reading somewhere that a guy with a GSX-R made in the last ten years could not get OEM replacement bushings for the forks (i.e. not even listed on fiche). Not damper rod forks, of course

Mission Cycle in Angus is an authorized Race Tech dealer and service. Top notch stuff. If it's your bike and you're keeping it, race tech over all balls any day.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

This sounds very familiar. I think I remember reading somewhere that a guy with a GSX-R made in the last ten years could not get OEM replacement bushings for the forks (i.e. not even listed on fiche). Not damper rod forks, of course

I could not have imagined such a thing. Sheepish to admit, but had a little hissy fit at the parts counter today. Took the forks apart, took stock of what I needed then drove to the dealer with 1/2 hr. to spare. Parts person said only one bush per side. I said that can't be, I have the forks apart, there are two bushes. Can I come around the counter to look closer at fiche? No, against policy. OK, I will race home, look online. BRB. Not good customer service @ dealer and OEM is douchy for not supplying wear items.

Mission Cycle in Angus is an authorized Race Tech dealer and service. Top notch stuff. If it's your bike and you're keeping it, race tech over all balls any day.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Not to be a dick but my Race Tech cartridge emulator kit was lacking, I felt. Heard good things about Mission Cycle tho:thumbup:

These guys may have what yah want
Code:
http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/road?field_prod_cats_nid=10

It would help if you told us what bike.

i just went through this myself rebuilding a GPZ. Kawasaki only sold the inner fork bushings with the fork leg, not on their own, and they were a strange size - 36x20x1.5. Even Racetech didn't have them. Ended up buying the 37x20x15 for the later model and racetech removed about a mm at the joint so they compressed to 36. Probably better off calling them directly. You could probably do the same thing with a ring grinder.

im currently working on a 1976 RM250. It has no inner bushes at all

2007 Triumph Scrambler. I'm riding a real turd in exchange for the benefit of riding an easy to fix/service bike only to get shooed away at the parts counter with my unreasonable consumables demand. Once modern bikes become vintage (I won't be around thank god) I wonder how difficult the restorations will be? Too many models and too complex. To the point, I measured what I had and cross referenced with Race Tech. Companies like that are gold.
IMHO, cutting down the bush might get you by but I can't see that as a real solution.

Not sure if I wanna have a package show up at my door labeled "All Balls", amirite @inreb?

Sent from the Purple Zone

u am!

All Balls (part # 38-6096) fits:
Kawasaki EN500 Vulcan LTD 96-09, KLE500 (Euro) 03-06, ZEPHYR (ZR750C) 91-93, ZG1000 Concours 94-06, ZX1000 Ninja ZX10 88-90, ZX1100E GPZ 95-97, ZX1100F1 96, ZX600 (ZX-6R) 95-97, Suzuki DR650RS (Euro) 90-96, DR650SE 90-95, GSF400 Bandit 91-93, GSF600S Bandit 95-99, Triumph America 02-13, Bonneville 11-14, Scrambler 06-14, Speed Master 03-13, T100 Bonneville 02-14, Thruxton 900 04-14, Yamaha BOLT 14-17, FZ6R 09-15, XJ900 (SA) 00-10, XJ900S DIVERSION (Euro) 95-01, XV650 V-Star 98-00, YZF600R 97-07, YZF750 96-98.
Your parts guy didn't try very hard, surely one (or more) of these other OEMs would have you need if you didn't want to use aftermarket parts.

From what I'm seeing so far none of the OEM, except HD, offer the inner bushings. This is new to me. Also some of the cross references I found are not exact ie; my outer bush is 41x12x2 but cross reference to another OEM showed 41x15x2. I don't think I have 3mm available for the snap ring. Suppliers sometimes have a tendency to lump stuff together w/o due diligence. It appears that way anyway, hope I'm wrong. The parts girl was adamant "we never replace the inners, they never need it" which set the tone for the rest of the exchange.

I used to have a 2006. As stated All Balls 38-6096 will fit.

Also as stated above Racetech can machine a bush that is slightly larger to fit. They were able to machine a set of 37mm to fit a set of old 36mm Suzuki forks for me

I used to have a 2006. As stated All Balls 38-6096 will fit.

Also as stated above Racetech can machine a bush that is slightly larger to fit. They were able to machine a set of 37mm to fit a set of old 36mm Suzuki forks for me

Thank you.

IMHO, cutting down the bush might get you by but I can't see that as a real solution.

Very common solution in AHMRA and WERA. Bikes in the 60, 70's and even into the 80's has a tremendous amount of clearance in the front forks. 30 or 40 years of being pumped up and down didn't help the problem.

A common way to tighten up old suspension is remove a few thousands of an inch from outer bush where the joint/gap is and place some shim stock behind it. This tightens up the outer bush around the fork leg.

Similarly, its common to take say a 37mm inside (bottom) bush and fit them to 36mm forks. Again remove some of the material at the joint between the bush so you end up with something that has a slightly larger diameter. We're only talking talking thousands of an inch here. I guess you could also take a 36mm bush and add some shim stock but you will have a small gap

It took all the slop out of my GPZ forks. I wouldn't say they are like a set of modern Ohlins but they are a lot better.

It's also better if you can have the inside of the bottoms hard anodized. It stops the Aluminium wearing which is why you have all that gungy black oil when you drain the forks.

Very interesting indeed. My brother bought a GPZ550 this summer to relive his youth. It's a bit of a beater. This is good information. You learn something every day. Do you have an anodizer in mind? I would consider this for any of my old bikes. Will google it. Thanks so much.

ps, I had a lot of gray in my fork oil. I wonder if the fork brace makes the sliders run unparallel to the tune of a couple thou? That would put undue pressure on the slider wall.

If that is something you cannot find,
i have acess to a very big bushing mfg so I can
pretty much source or know who might have bushings.

The metal backed bushings share dimesional sizes
with industrual type bushings...

^ good for future reference. Thank you. I have ordered All Balls kit @Fortnine to carry me thru this round of absurdity.

Back
Top Bottom