Would anyone be interested in a possible RTW? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would anyone be interested in a possible RTW?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but I have been a long time reader of these forums. I am wondering if anyone would be interested in a possible RTW. I live in London so I would be riding to Toronto. Shipping my bike to London, UK then riding to wherever as long as I end up in Vladivostok Russia. Followed by ferry to South Korea where I will be shipping the bike to Vancouver then ride home.

I am not set on a route and am open to Riding up into Scandinavia as also and doing a loop around, then back south. Or down towards Turkey and back up again thru Armenia, Georgia, etc...

I was originally planning a trip upto Alaska but after some discussion with my parents, my mom suggested that i do an RTW since the difference compared to going to Alaska and back is not much.

I have the costs figured out and it will is very doable since i will be wilderness camping and being self reliant.

Also i should mention that I am not rich by any means, the opposite actually. Simply someone who has dreamed of seeing the world and experiencing every culture and every part of it on a motorcycle since being a child, and also proving to myself that the world is indeed small. I also have family members who have completed this journey. One in the 50's..., so genetically I'm programmed?

I still have to see if I can take the time off and continue my planning in regards to Carnet, Visa's (Russia as they don't allow you to simply get one on the spot), and also Green Card (EU Insurance) which is roughly 80-120 Euro for 4 months for virtually any bike... (yes we get raped here, specially in ontario)

I originally got the OK for 1.5 months for work to go check out Alaska.. Not sure if I can pull off 4 months. If my heart is set on the RTW and cannot get the time off, I would most likely still go and deal with it later, even if it means having to leave my job. I don't believe in bucket lists, I may die tomorrow. I have always lived like that. I also don't want to see the world when I am retired. You can't see the world using a walker..

If anyone has done this trip or is interested, please let me know.

RTW travel is what you decide it is in your mind. From personal experience, I think you should start off on this continent with $0 spent flying your bike places to ride. Not sure why you want to start your ride in Europe vs. riding across Canada, Alaska, down the PCH or across the US, then to Mexico.

If you only have 1.5 months, that is just enough time to ride to Alaska over the summer and possibly down to Mexico and back again. I spent 3 weeks riding from Vancouver, BC to Alaska and back. So it all depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want to ride RTW to say you did or actually see places. Check out advrider.com for some inspiration as well. Feel free to PM me if you are looking on specific travel advice.

RTW travel is what you decide it is in your mind. From personal experience, I think you should start off on this continent with $0 spent flying your bike places to ride. Not sure why you want to start your ride in Europe vs. riding across Canada, Alaska, down the PCH or across the US, then to Mexico.

If you only have 1.5 months, that is just enough time to ride to Alaska over the summer and possibly down to Mexico and back again. I spent 3 weeks riding from Vancouver, BC to Alaska and back. So it all depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want to ride RTW to say you did or actually see places. Check out advrider.com for some inspiration as well. Feel free to PM me if you are looking on specific travel advice.

I would like to ride across Europe because it offers more to see and do. I have lived on a few continents and travelled extensively in my 33 years. So experiencing different cultures and living with locals is something I enjoy. It's something which appeals to me more than riding across the prairies for such a long distance with only a few cities in between, exactly like the one I live in.. No thanks. As for the time, it does not have to be limited to 1.5 months. Or 4 for that matter. I am fairly sure I will be able to take as much time as I need to do this for myself. If not then no biggie. I have always done what I wanted in life and it has worked out. So if it means risking not having any employment to come back to (which is very highly unlikely). I'm not too worried. I'll manage and life goes on.

I may even get there and decide to go further down into India if I fancy. Right now I'm weighing out a few things in regards to if I should do this now or wait till next year. If I don't do the RTW now, I would most likely ride out east to Newfoundland then northern Quebec, Ontario and then back home.. I would be doing the out west thing part of the bigger trip, Vancouver to home. I can visit Canada and NA anytime I want, actually my next plan is to ride pole to pole. But none of this is to simply say that I did an RTW or anything. It's so when I'm old and not able, I won't sit there and say.. I wish I did this when I had the chance..

Let me elaborate on that one. My father is in his 60's, has alzheimer and had a brain tumor in his early 50's.. He has done extensive travelling on his bike with my mom. He sometimes forgets that he has eaten, what time of day it is or if it's 6am or 6pm, or when he has showered. Yet every time I go there he asks me about my bike, and tells me how I should have bought a beemer like him. About his adventures, experiences.

I'm also very familiar with advrider and the hubb. I am not a stranger to random things in my life and I am fairly sure my family, friends and coworkers would not be that surprised..

I am wondering if anyone has done a similar trip, or even one to Alaska since it would be somewhat similar.. in regards to what kind of tent you use and how easy it is to source water while out about..

or.. simply if someone is interested in going on any of the trips, the out east one or the bigger one.

Last edited:
Hit up Lightecycle. He and his wife are still on their RTW after about 4 years. http://www.ridedot.com/rtw/

The trick with doing a ride like this with someone is having a compatible style of riding, spending, "destinations", etc.

Last edited:
You would likely get a wider range of opinion from ADVRider where many have done RTW trip.
Certainly LightCycle's blog is worth a read and a lesson in excellent picture taking and interesting commentary.

What bike are you taking and what is your long distance experience.?

I have a fair stock of camping gear some never used and reasonable quality tho nothing in the way of stove or cooking..decent tent pad, excellent chair ( Kermit ) most of which have never been used ....old bones didn't like sleeping out.

If Canada is home ...why bother with anything in North America - do your Europe and Russia ...I assume you've seen Long Way Around.
You can do Canada later.
You are correct about the praires but one way come east is easy and enough interesting stuff Beartooth and Chief Joseph...then blitz the last three days with the wind and speed limits are very high in the US.

Some trip photos here
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/bc-trip-with-kenz

Fly your bike to Dublin then carry on from there.

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone would be interested in a possible RTW.

A bit off topic, but I wouldn't ever consider doing a trip like this with someone who I haven't known for a long, long time. To make all the commitments and arrangements for something like this only to discover a few weeks in that you can't stand the other person, well....I wouldn't take that risk.

A bit off topic, but I wouldn't ever consider doing a trip like this with someone who I haven't known for a long, long time. To make all the commitments and arrangements for something like this only to discover a few weeks in that you can't stand the other person, well....I wouldn't take that risk.
Also can be applied to marriage ?

Sent from the Purple Zone

Sounds awesome! Though I think having such a limited time frame to do it might give a sense of urgency while on the trip. If you are willing to quit your job anyways, do that and then head out on the road and not worry about when you need to be back.

What type of bike are you riding or planning on using for this trip?

For those interested in something similar but a little more controlled there is a tour company that does moto trips that look incredible. Hoping to do one in the near future though would love to do this one just can't take the time for it right now.

London to Magadan
http://www.compassexpeditions.com/tour/major-expeditions/road-of-bones-london-to-magadan/

Sounds awesome! Though I think having such a limited time frame to do it might give a sense of urgency while on the trip. If you are willing to quit your job anyways, do that and then head out on the road and not worry about when you need to be back.

What type of bike are you riding or planning on using for this trip?

For those interested in something similar but a little more controlled there is a tour company that does moto trips that look incredible. Hoping to do one in the near future though would love to do this one just can't take the time for it right now.

London to Magadan
http://www.compassexpeditions.com/tour/major-expeditions/road-of-bones-london-to-magadan/

lol $30k US. I can see that being an exciting tour packed with dentists and accountants.

Trollstigein

Been there ...no bike :(

Was nasty in a longish tour bus.

lmxsuLkohoEdQftqQ_up-WRh0BDXkUSZNlfCzQP3wmO_qAcrDJRw3XcJhSnPTcuH3aONgNzmZzzyE9llSMPuoeSQeVSTrXU3RWaDJPqmCZlw-_9Mhd8Fo3q4b4T3fxYex7btv1ufA5fzqb1NJZ5XWLQ3kduHHQ2BTPi_bL5YssmBD9EVOvSfMW9r6FFkLvUXj3YRcFJSdDPxtwqi8RzSquWymbPQtFguW-suGr1E-oR8CEOfhUPhGOFXBydi75Swn_HE5ah9_jacLrcMnMS91OSQx8GTfFtEhmX-hPvENE_SanbZFtxspMR_Mmm_cUi-cBN79LWs3Ay6TuNMtOg-9_gsazRuaHyPbgCUqjtHnFn3uKbdEAgaA6pcS10EW5OJmvs8sbmlumPHDCW7S5_UlPLAbLfbrqNiL4YxDAIh-VXIalVZR1No9Ob-CaWc-5VYPeVqMPyAknbLamusBPEH2U-wYYc8Ecfikb8wAUZXIHeeFIvohVkOlZeUUhHFtFduoCa54DNR4NKMy286Ugo2X0aNNCZs0ImZfMDFBuCWRmLX5A8SH1LWOtHfL0K8zobAscFBND5Fgk_xJmezYv3bOEhRJ5MZGue5bq1fEiAv-G8Zwlfi5bbL=w2184-h1476-no

But hairpins too tight really and so little room.

TwZNZ1-Pa7ZjOD_H3HeD18H7SdK46CIVI5pjdgxFufnbD15qBKNVIOSW1nD4ZSkI6I2n1KGCTlvvEhr_CyXcoxopwCQ2D_nZosYe0usWGhE5_8cDHijrM_6ITseO_VUDSi03Q-WCSms5f82i-99PwStvzPhxOZr-AmAZygqgoDc7bjhOz95V9B-AG9_f-4MEOjgM0A2aFoIGTRlGnVLOP3bz74eSHY5BcECQfpBr5tk5Jz7wDb5t3jbR2ISirfAcpjxn6zYyQfZsQI0MdvPxSfPFwaEI2gZ6RHzzS3fitFlq3-3UFQSI7IS3VEsHH5wevZS13UIA2DuFLP_Vse_tj73AlKAvakHgy5rcVRtYHi8T65j5ZfoClhhskV8d3sCUhCi965-SY6abGoEbdRes85box-rZgdiDLuC4nit0L4i2GBdnW7oxbm1C92NxTtmipPZNkVmceSrAvIDZDn9HttOC_ORAJ5cTKlIz-OS1Yp0WCqL3COFcGblLiSJ-DJou_EWOcIH4SJozrkU_WVRIzFJfVngjq7m6nHoqwaeoI6vcYGIupmNP34Ggk8zS_GBaYmmfRwXY1bzIuqLHxHi3HLXnwCsqN_lBG3xBx0t5ZaFaZK3yZwBe=w1296-h858-no

OP you GOTTA do Norway tho.

lol $30k US. I can see that being an exciting tour packed with dentists and accountants.

Are dentist and accountants bad things? You think it will be less of a trip because it costs some money? The company is not riding the bikes for you. You are out there rain or shine. You get to do an amazing trip with hotels and food looked after, along side of having medical aid if need be. If I could swing the time I would certainly be looking at doing this. Not something I would be interested in doing on my own. Each to their own.

Are dentist and accountants bad things? You think it will be less of a trip because it costs some money? The company is not riding the bikes for you. You are out there rain or shine. You get to do an amazing trip with hotels and food looked after, along side of having medical aid if need be. If I could swing the time I would certainly be looking at doing this. Not something I would be interested in doing on my own. Each to their own.
That 30k insures that you have a great trip, barring a crash. Support trucks, spare bikes and mechanics following. All you have to do is enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Im doing my RTW departing 2019. Giving myself 2 years to complete. While I live in Canada I'm planning to do North America first (East Coast, Trans Lab, West Coast, Alaska, Western USA) before heading south (Mexico, CA, SA) then off to Europe -> Mongolia. The reason for me to do Canada first is because the bike is new to me, and I'm treating it as a "shakedown ride" and it will allow me to sort things out - bike, equipment, and gear (what I bring vs. what I actually need) and If I need to make major changes, I'm still fairly close to home.

That 30k insures that you have a great trip, barring a crash. Support trucks, spare bikes and mechanics following. All you have to do is enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I don't know...

The website states,

- Mechanic and Medic will accompany us (Not necessarily qualified in these fields)

WTF - everyone is paying $30K and you can't bring a qualified mechanic or medic!!!

Im sure it would be a great trip but I'm never going to be in the tax bracket that drops 30k on a tinned adventure.

Back
Top Bottom