Would you repaint your motorcycle for $1500? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would you repaint your motorcycle for $1500?

Scratches show character, and prove that you're a motorcyclist, not a motorcycle poser.

I have a couple bikes I'd love to paint (used, didn't have a choice on colour), but for $1500, erk, no.

Scratches show character, and prove that you're a motorcyclist, not a motorcycle poser.

I have a couple bikes I'd love to paint (used, didn't have a choice on colour), but for $1500, erk, no.

My street bike didn't have a scratch on it. It showed I could keep my things nice and upright.

My street bike didn't have a scratch on it. It showed I could keep my things nice and upright.

This is good policy. I trust you keep the chain spooge off the rear rim? You look good, you feel good.

Yeah, but eventually, you'll end up with a scuff from a dragged boot because after 16 hours one day, you didn't throw your leg over with enough gusto. Or after a particularly dusty day, your tank bag with your water, maps, etc., scratched your tank removing it. Or the van that had a hard time backing out of the streetside parking spot cut it too close and scraped up your fairings. Or you just plain dropped the bike at 22:52 in the dark, while pulling over so you could look at your maps to find your elusive motel on PEI before it closes at 23:00, only to discover last second that during the drizzle that there was a 10cm drop between the red road surface and the red driveway, that turns out to be soft red sand that eats your front tire.

Crap happens. Bragging about your bike being spotless suggests you're spending way more effort keeping it spotless than actually enjoying it.

Yeah, but eventually, you'll end up with a scuff from a dragged boot because after 16 hours one day, you didn't throw your leg over with enough gusto. Or after a particularly dusty day, your tank bag with your water, maps, etc., scratched your tank removing it. Or the van that had a hard time backing out of the streetside parking spot cut it too close and scraped up your fairings. Or you just plain dropped the bike at 22:52 in the dark, while pulling over so you could look at your maps to find your elusive motel on PEI before it closes at 23:00, only to discover last second that during the drizzle that there was a 10cm drop between the red road surface and the red driveway, that turns out to be soft red sand that eats your front tire.

Crap happens. Bragging about your bike being spotless suggests you're spending way more effort keeping it spotless than actually enjoying it.

Nope, I did enjoy it. When I want to go thrash around I ride a dirtbike. I'm not saying that if your bike has scratches that it's abused but to say that your a poser because you don't have any is a bit of a stretch. My race bike looks nicer and is in better shape than 90% of the 5 year old street bikes I see.

**** no.

I'd prolly do a wrap instead.

Take it from someone who previous had a wrap - bad idea.

They generally don't hold up to the elements very well (especially the tank when the odd drop of gasoline etc can cause bubbling).
They tend to rip from the edges over time
Its a pain in the *** to get the corners correctly. You would think it's childs play from the videos on youtube but it is a PAINFULLY intricate process.
The quality will never be as good as paint to the eye
Lastly, paint can be touched up - wrap, not so much .. will have to rewrap the whole piece to fix a stone chip.

My $0.02

Take it from someone who previous had a wrap - bad idea.

They generally don't hold up to the elements very well (especially the tank when the odd drop of gasoline etc can cause bubbling).
They tend to rip from the edges over time
Its a pain in the *** to get the corners correctly. You would think it's childs play from the videos on youtube but it is a PAINFULLY intricate process.
The quality will never be as good as paint to the eye
Lastly, paint can be touched up - wrap, not so much .. will have to rewrap the whole piece to fix a stone chip.

My $0.02

Interesting, thanks. I have no experience with it, other than witnessing the result on my brother-in-law's truck. He did it all himself and it looks pretty good, even up close.

Either way, my point remains - I'm not paying $1,500 for paint, or anything purely cosmetic.

Interesting, thanks. I have no experience with it, other than witnessing the result on my brother-in-law's truck. He did it all himself and it looks pretty good, even up close.

Either way, my point remains - I'm not paying $1,500 for paint, or anything purely cosmetic.
Price point is highly subjective but I was merely stating my experience with wrapping.

Going through the process really made me do a 180 degree turn from my previous position. Previously I swore wrapping was an alternative to paint. Sadly, it is not.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Save your money, hit it with some rustoleum paint, and call it a day. When it chips or fades just spray it again, you'll have a fresh paint job every couple of weeks. Guy gour ride with will want to know if you can paint their bikes too.

Back
Top Bottom