2017 Duke 690 vs. 2016 Street Triple r vs 2017 fz 07 abs | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Duke 690 vs. 2016 Street Triple r vs 2017 fz 07 abs

BulletFrost

With Aviva changing their policy from 650cc to 751cc for new riders, I've started to look at selling in my 2015 ER6N and buying a bike that I'll truly enjoy over the next 5 years. Despite putting money into a full exhaust and other cosmetic stuff I'm just not satisfied with it. It's awful to do any two-up riding and the vibes have my hand and *** numb in under an hour. I'm just looking for some opinions or insights into which of the three bikes I should get.

FZ07 - test rode this bike last year and loved it. The build quality seemed cheaper than my 650 but the engine was way better, the transmission was way better, and the ergos fit me like a glove. I loved how lightweight it felt (about 50lbs less than the er6n) and it has a huge aftermarket that won't break the bank. Besides the build quality, my only gripe with it is that the insurance will be an extra $40/month compared to the triple and my kawisaki. There isn't any real performance gained here, but I like the power delivery and comfort more on the yamaha compared to my 650.

Ktm 690 Duke - Just seems a like a higher quality, more expensive, lighter fz07 with an extra 10ftlbs of torque. I'm concerned with vibrations and low revs, not sure if mx grips and bar ends would fix it. Some people have had theirs blow up? Doesn't seem like it would great on the highway given that its 350lbs wet.

Street Triple r - 30+ hp increase, slightly more torque, favorite sounding engine configuration and all the other good bits included in the r version. no increase in insurance from the 650. Expensive aftermarket, though I would only want a full exhaust, levers and tail tidy with this model. Maybe a quickshifter down the road.

Anyone have any bad experiences with these bikes? Thoughts?

I have a 2012 Streetie...regular one but the guy I bought it from upgraded front springs and an Ohlin in the butt.

Was also looking at the FZ-07 when I bought the Triumph. The FZ07 is a fantastic bike but ended up going with the Triumph because it's an all-round better bike (styling, I kind of liked the Yamaha more though). At the time, you couldn't find them used because they just came out. I was able to get a used and fantastic shape Street Triple for cheaper than the FZ07. Was a no-brainer.

Having said that, i had to get the starter motor replaced at 35,000k. Unfortunately, it was 4 years old and past warranty. That can happen to any machine though. There was a minor oil leak from an after market drain plug the previous owner put on. I just replaced it with the stock one and the leak was gone.

I've ridden mine for a trip lasting 2 weeks throwing down 8hrs of actual ride time a day average and felt good. Downside is that luggage racks are damn expensive, so me and my Dad made an ugly as hell custom one so I can use snowmobile/softbags for weekend riding trips. I've gone on about half dozen 1500-2000km weekend long trips too and was comfortable when I needed and could ride aggressively when I wanted.

There's a bit more vibration in the bars than the Ninja 500 I had before, but the aftermarket front springs are on the stiffer side for more aggressive/track riding. It feels like a jackhammer riding around Hamilton streets.

If the vibes from a naked ninja make your hands numb, then try different grips, padded gloves or selling the bike and buying a car.

You can't go wrong with either of those three though.

oh...and I've never ridden two up with the Street Triple so can't comment there.

Took the passenger pegs off and keep the rear seat cap on unless I'm on a trip. Then the rear seat holds a bag.

The least attractive thing a woman can say to me is "I want to ride on your bike with you". Uhhh, no thanks.

I can't judge Street Triple or KTM but I have 2016 FZ07 (non ABS version) and I'm extremely happy with it. It's a "small" bike with a tons of character, super fun to ride and extremely comfortable. As you said, the aftermarket for this bike is huge therefore upgrades aren't expensive at all. My only complaint was front suspension which I upgraded this past summer ... big & noticeable improvement.

Cant beat the japs when it comes to motorcycles

I'd be careful with the exotics. Was reminded of this just today when ordering routine Triumph(2007) parts. Spendy and 2 weeks because "coming up from the States". You don't need that hassle June thru September. Yam sounds delish besides.

The least attractive thing a woman can say to me is "I want to ride on your bike with you". Uhhh, no thanks.

Even more unattractive when a guy says it.

OP only heard good things about the Yammie.

Sent from the Purple Zone

If you're worried about vibrations, the KTM 690 Duke isn't for you whatsoever. It's a big single cylinder.
Rode a friend's down at the Dragon, and the thing handles incredibly well - super flickable due to the low weight and has a ton of torque. It's a real hooligan machine, but after about 35 minutes my hands were numb, and any sperm in my boys were likely thoroughly brain damaged....

I had no idea the 690 was so light. That would be a plus for me. My bike is supposed to be under 300 lbs wet and I've never noticed an issue on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom