Types of Coverages for a new rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Types of Coverages for a new rider

Pasierbek

Hello all,

I looked around for an answer to my question, but couldn't find one by searching. What I'd like to know is, what type of insurance would you recommend to a new rider. I'm looking into buying a 2014/2015 Ninja 300 and I've gotten three different insurance quotes from Paul from Surnet (all within reason and quickly). One is for full coverage, one is for comprehensive (Fire+Theft) but no collision and the third one is just for liability only. Now I do know the main differences between each coverage type and what they cover, but I want to hear advice from an experienced rider on what type of insurance I should be looking at. I am thinking about the full coverage more. What do you think?

Do you want to pay to fix your bike, or have the insurance pay for the fix

on my 30 year old bike since they were not worth big bucks I opted for the least amount of coverage, on my newer bike considering it's worth more and would cost an arm and leg I opted for full coverage

only u can answer for yourself on what's it worth for you

I know the difference for me is like $50/year to add comprehensive. Not expensive.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

+1 to GateKeeper. It's up to you. Depends on what the bike is worth and if it's likely to get stolen. Not much monetary value and not likely to get stolen = liability only. The savings on that over the years pays for a bike of similar worth.

The difference between full coverage and comprehensive is pretty big for me and the difference between comprehensive and liability only is much smaller, so it makes sense to at least go with comprehensive. Now I've been told that with financing a bike, you will need to do full coverage. So I may just have to see if I can buy the bike outright and have cheaper insurance on comprehensive. Just wanted to hear different opinions. Thanks.

One must also do the math based on the value of the bike minus your deductible, as well. If your bike is only worth $2000 and your deductible is $1500, paying extra for full coverage that may not ever net you a whole lot of benefit in the case theft or damage may not be worth the extra cost in the longer term unless it comes at *very* low cost to you, which as a new rider, it may not.

Think of it this way. A $3000 bike with only liability coverage of $500 a year instead of full for $1000...You could buy it's value in 6 years. You might not keep the same bike for 6 years, but if you buy and sell in the same range, in a few years you have more than paid for the bike in ins. savings. That is if it doesn't get stolen. In the loooong run you have still saved on overall cost.

Back
Top Bottom