light machining work - DIY or get it done? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

light machining work - DIY or get it done?

How many machines and how many tradesmen were made redundant by a 5 axis machine center.

The guy across the street from me owns a half dozen EDM? machines, using a tiny electrode feed working in some sort of solution he machines parts for satellites and helicopters. He's busy all day boring tiny holes about the size of a mosquito pecker. Fascinates me.

How many machines and how many tradesmen were made redundant by a 5 axis machine center.

Funny you say that, with the new technology in CNC spindles and feed and rapid speeds of the axis's, milling machines have almost eliminated the need for CNC EDM machines in some industries :)

Thanks Rob Star, that's pretty cool stuff. Having several hundred thousand to spend on CNC , vertical mills and end bores would indeed make the process go better.
I'm always fascinated with this stuff, its one thing to be standing beside a million dollar mill , its another to be able to get it to do what you need and understand the process to get there.
Some machines go into millions of dollars. There are some machines that are the size of houses. Where I work the machines are the sizes of the rooms of your house. I work with 300lbs blocks of Aluminum & steel everyday. I double check everything before I run because I don't want to do a mistake on those.

Back
Top Bottom