Basement building | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Basement building

That Delta FL covered with tongue and groove 4x8 OSB sounds like the best idea if you can move it to the basement. I used vapor barrier with insulation under the 4x8 OSB in a walk out basement. Just check for floor levelness.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same as @GateKeeper keep costs down and probably not doing laundry while entertaining.
I should have put the dri core, but didn't.
If you decide to drywall the ceiling, and want to sound proof, you will need cans for the pot lights (I think that is code).
Can you get 8' drywall down those stairs?

Sent from the Purple Zone

When I fix my basement, I will be using a Delta flooring membrane and then putting OSB (or is it plywood) overtop. It's the same idea as the Dri-Core floor, only cheaper.

That was recommended to me by a friend who does basement waterproofing. He actually recommended the stuff from Home Depot but it looks exactly the same as the Delta

Thanks for the advice guys.
So the idea is to have this as a rental basement with 2 bedrooms. But the issue I find is, the laundry is right in the corner. Now unless we plan to come into their "unit" to do laundry, I don't know where and how to relocate it and how to design the rest of the place in that sense.

I've uploaded a photoshop panoramic picture. It did a decent job of stitching 3 pictures together that werent made to be merged.

The measurement I took that day was, L.35ft vs W.25ft

I do plan on making a proper measurement over the weekend when I have time giving me a better idea of certain things.

i-WjP4SWx-X3.jpg

If someone has the time and ability, maybe one can share a layout drawn on paint that may give me an idea how to place the dryer/washer/sink while maintaining the privacy of the tenants.

Aside from all sort of building codes that need to be followed if this is to be a rental area, just to start with correct sized windows for emergency egress, the other thing is if u r going to have the laundry room for you, where are they supposed to do laundry ? Somthing to think about

That was recommended to me by a friend who does basement waterproofing. He actually recommended the stuff from Home Depot but it looks exactly the same as the Delta

Delta makes both a foundation wrap and a floor membrane. They are exactly the same except the floor membrane is made from new plastic while the foundation wrap is made with recycled plastic. In theory, there may be some off gas form recycling plastic which is why the interior one uses new plastic.

OP, if your making a rental space get a real licenced contractor in there. There are lots of creative people here with good ideas but if your going to a rental you have a huge list of things to consider for a legal space.

unless your doing the typical 'under the radar rental' in which case carry on......

case of beer to design a layout for your commercial space? that's gracious.

Not too hard to relocate the laundry to the bottom of the stairs. Drainage and water can be hidden behind a wall and venting can be cut for the dryer. That way it's a shared location...if that's your intention. Where's the rental entrance? Going to put in a door at the stair landing?

Last edited:
A proper basement entrance is going to cost big bucks, unless the basement is already a walk out. A proper entrance isn't a job for a "buddy" or a "guy I know".

Aside from all sort of building codes that need to be followed if this is to be a rental area, just to start with correct sized windows for emergency egress, the other thing is if u r going to have the laundry room for you, where are they supposed to do laundry ? Somthing to think about

I was hoping it would be outside their unit where we all can share. Perhaps like a room thats not in their unit?

Not too hard to relocate the laundry to the bottom of the stairs. Drainage and water can be hidden behind a wall and venting can be cut for the dryer. That way it's a shared location...if that's your intention. Where's the rental entrance? Going to put in a door at the stair landing?

The entrance I was hoping would be in the middle of the stairs. The stairs are L shaped so there is a platform as you walk up to create an entrance.

I guess you guys are right, legal contractor is the way to go and would be a hassle for me to do it.

Thanks folks! I'll try getting some quotes.

If you're saying that the landing is at ground level (or close to it), you will save a ton of money on the entrance.
Because of where you are putting the entrance however, I don't see a viable way for you to use the laundry. It's possible, but would really be taking up much rentable area. Better bet would be to add stackable laundry in your part of the house.
Many contractors will try to get you to forgo permits to keep the price down. I'm gonna advise against that. The extra costs for a permitted legally registered basement apartment will work out in the long run, imo.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Make sure you do a quick check with your municipality before bothering to get quotes. Some have been limiting basement suites to those that already existed. I am not sure how to get legal suites constructed in those municipalities. The municipality should quickly be able to tell you if it is possible/what you need to do in addition to complying with code to get it registered as a legal second suite.

My guess would be a legal second suite will easily double or triple the budget of a plain finished basement. In addition to the second entrance, you need a fire and acoustically rated separation between the two units. This essentially eliminates a drop ceiling and pushes you to a fire-rated drywall ceiling with some form of acoustical isolators (which cost you a least a little height).

For this type of job, whatever permits cost are worth it. Your insurance company will need to be notified of the change and if it isn't permitted and properly constructed, they may not insure it and you will have wasted your money.

I was hoping it would be outside their unit where we all can share. Perhaps like a room thats not in their unit?

Move it to the bottom of the stairs... Tenant enters suite from shared laundry room.
IMO... Hire someone... Do it right... you'll be able to charge more in rent.. and better resale when you do eventually want to sell it.
I've heard things in the news recently about Brampton and secondary units... look into it.

Back
Top Bottom