Best VW forums for local MK7 support? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best VW forums for local MK7 support?

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Anyone here with a latest gen Golf, which forum do you use for (local) support?
I've got a 2016 GSW.
I have Internet searched and came up with these two:

vwvortex.com
golfmk7.com

Most of the others either don't have a Ontario/GTA section or if they do, the amount of threads/posts is minimal.

The reason I ask is because I have recently found out that with the 1.8TSI, Stage 1 tune would give me quite incredible gains without affecting fuel consumption.
Leaning to go with APR if I decide to do it. However, from my prior experience, it's always beneficial to have a local support group before you start modding, restoring or anything hobby related really.

Found 4 local APR dealers:

APS-Autobahn
EuroSport Tuning
K&H Radiator
Mittler Motors

Generally good reviews on all of them.

Those are your two best bets for websites.

Vortex is more north american, and golfmk7 is world wide

APR offers a 87 octane tune for the 1.8TSi.
There website should give you local tuners.

I have a sportwagen, and the APR 87 tune would be the one i would pick. $800 price tag is a bit steep. APR just had a holiday special, but didn't apply to Canada. Would have been worth while to drive south and get someone to tune it.

Should make the golf just as fast or faster than a mk7 GTi

Last edited:
Check with JRP Performance in Mississauga. Another option is the REVO Technik Stage 1. - www.revotechnik.com
Had them do it on my A4 with the 2.0t. Nice boost in power and torque an a huge change in power delivery where you actually use it. Loved it. 100,000km with no issues before I sold it.

You should know, that your car will be flagged TD1 with any ECU alterations, which voids the warranty.

Ask me how I know.

Looks like all TDI's from 2009 to 2015 have been flagged TD1

LOL

You should know, that your car will be flagged TD1 with any ECU alterations, which voids the warranty.

Ask me how I know.

I know. Potentially voids the warranty on powertrain. It's a gamble. Makes a difference which dealer you take it too. Since I do most of maintenance myself they won't like me to begin with. :)

Last edited:
As for tunes different than APR, I liked their power and torque charts best.
I know that Revo, Giac and Uni-something are some of the other popular options.
They all tend to have positive reviews.

Went with 87 octane program. Difference is astounding. It is a lot of money but definitely worth it.
According to APR, plus 60HP and 68 lbs of torque at the crank. I can't verify that but sure feels like.

Went with 87 octane program. Difference is astounding. It is a lot of money but definitely worth it.
According to APR, plus 60HP and 68 lbs of torque at the crank. I can't verify that but sure feels like.

Nobody uses Revo anymore, APR is the best choice.

I know. Potentially voids the warranty on powertrain. It's a gamble. Makes a difference which dealer you take it too. Since I do most of maintenance myself they won't like me to begin with. :)
The dealer won't make it td1 status. It's when the car is scanned it will be flagged from the vw side. Not the dealer side

I have the same model and was thinking of going with APR. Until i found out it voids the warranty so i changed my mind.
But i agree, its a significant boost to HP and torque so very tempting.

From what I've heard, APR will be working in conjunction with VW Dealerships shortly to install and cover the warranty of the powertrain that will be voided by the manufacturer. Not sure if it's coming to Canada though.

I have the same model and was thinking of going with APR. Until i found out it voids the warranty so i changed my mind.
But i agree, its a significant boost to HP and torque so very tempting.

If you're worried about warranty (it doesn't automatically void it, it potentially voids it on powertrain if there's a related issue, and some dealers may still help you out even if VW doesn't want to) then a Burger Tuning piggyback would be your solution or wait until you reach the 80,000km or whatever our warranty is, I forget.

From what I've read there are almost no issues with APR tunes, hence why I chose them.

And that would be great if they worked with the dealers but yeah Canada gets the short end more often than not.

vwvortex was pretty good back when I had my 02 GTI 1.8T.

VW knows how to make turbo motors. I doubt you'll have any issues with a simple tune. I too would recommend the APR setup.

who tuned it?

how much did you pay for it?

how long did it take to get done?

who tuned it?

how much did you pay for it?

how long did it take to get done?

K&H Radiator will do it, talk to Mario. I know Tom at SEM will do it too. Not sure who else locally. Im sure there are more.

Costs around 5-800 depending who you go to and stage or kind of car? I could be wrong.

Takes as long as hooking a cable up to your diagnostic port and uploading a map. :)

Last edited:
Yeah from what i hear APR is the best option out there now.

I just hope what DJM said actually happens.

If they can work out the warranty issue, i'd be first in line to install this on my car. You get around 75HP and 99FPT by just doing the first stage. Which is insane given the size of the car. (all with a 94 octane gas of course).

Yeah, gains are nuts.

As for the previous question, all the shops that do it are listed in the original post.
That's everyone listed on APR's website. Not sure if any shops not listed are authorized to perform the service.

Price for Stage 1, single program was between $785 and $825 for 2016 1.8TSI.
I know APR has sales but it's usually only 10% off.
I got it done at EuroSport, closest to my house.

Back
Top Bottom