(car insurance?) Implications of lapse in car insurance, does bike insurance help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

(car insurance?) Implications of lapse in car insurance, does bike insurance help?

regder

Site Supporter
Wrote off my car in October, and my car insurance is up for renewal. For the foreseeable future, I'll be driving a company car with company insurance not in my name. I have had continuous insurance for about fifteen years. If I don't renew my policy and reapply in say 6-12 months, what are the possible effects on my rates? Do I start from scratch?

I'm still going to have motorcycle insurance, would my motorcycle insurance record positively affect my future car insurance rates?

This guy is getting screwed because he didn't have auto insurance for 10 years, only moto. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...treet-Triple-for-850-MINI-VAN-over-5-THOUSAND!!

I went with only a MC for 2 years, ad when I needed auto insurance they only wanted to know my auto insurance history. I found my old insurance docs and they went off that. It didn't affect my rates at least to any amount that I could tell.

So what's the rule for how long we can go without continuous auto coverage? Beats the hell outta me.

Its really an insurance underwriting discretion.

If you are sticking with the same broker/ insurance company, they may take the motorcycle insurance as continuous coverage.

But, if you a quoting from a new company, they may or may not.

I defer to the insurance pros as I've been out of the game for far too long

However, I can say if you are insured by your employer under a fleet policy, have given your driver' licence to them etc. Keep the insurance company info, policy number etc.

In my case, I have a company supplied car with access to it 100% of the time and use it for company and personal use.

It may not work for the fella that works for a municipality and uses a work truck exclusively at work and only on occasion.

The guidelines are blurry but, with a good agent, broker, they can work with a experienced underwriter to walk through things.

Basically, if you are a stranger looking for coverage and it's just a story, it might not carry much weight. But, if you are insured with other products like residential insurance, bike insurance, work, they can use some discretion regarding lapses in coverage depending on the circumstances.

Sometimes it's even beneficial to keep fire and theft on a vehicle that was sold until you purchase a new vehicle. Just depends on the overall circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If continuous coverage is the issue then get named on a friend's / relative's policy (If being listed doesn't affect their rates). They don't have to actually let you use the vehicle. My brother was out of the country for a couple of years and was able to re-insure without a problem.

Was the write-off an at fault?

Its really an insurance underwriting discretion.

If you are sticking with the same broker/ insurance company, they may take the motorcycle insurance as continuous coverage.

But, if you a quoting from a new company, they may or may not.

I would agree - I would call your insurance company/broker directly and get an answer from the horses mouth as it's apt to change from one carrier to another, so advice here may or may not apply.

The suggestion of getting "secondary driver" coverage on a family members car in lieu of direct coverage may work out if you can find someone willing to do it for you, and it shouldn't cost much, but again, I'd verify this with your own insurer to make sure it's a viable solution IF an actual lapse on your own coverage turns out to be an issue after the fact.

If all else fails, and your insurance is cheap, just continue to pay for the coverage on the car that was written off if you can (if the insurance company took possession however they may not allow that), or failing that, find a friend with a junker parked in their backyard or whatever, get the VIN, and insure yourself on it for $20-$30/month as a bridge.

Keep your current insurance docs handy, when I switched companies on my bike last time for whatever my previous coverage weren't showing, so I was given an extremely high quote. I simply contacted y previous insurer, who provided a form, which confirmed the coverage. Once that was supplied, the new quote was significantly lower.

Though I had bike insurance, we went without car insurance for 2 years. Nothing substantial happened to our rate.

You can ask your company to add you under their insurance policy. I understand that some companies may or may not be able to do that for you. I haven't had auto insurance for the last 7-8 years. Only motorcycle and have been fortunate enough to be added under the company insurance policy.

Was the write-off an at fault?

Nope, hit a deer on the 407.

Looks like there's no straight answer to this. Think I'm going to call my insurance company and ask if there is a budget option to keep continuous insurance. If not, I'm going to cancel and roll the dice when I get another car.

Wrote off my car in October, and my car insurance is up for renewal. For the foreseeable future, I'll be driving a company car with company insurance not in my name. I have had continuous insurance for about fifteen years. If I don't renew my policy and reapply in say 6-12 months, what are the possible effects on my rates? Do I start from scratch?

I'm still going to have motorcycle insurance, would my motorcycle insurance record positively affect my future car insurance rates?
the gap of insurance would be disclosed in the quote, however if the reason is did not have a vehicle it does not have a large affect on premium if any at all(depends on the company).
If you have given your D/L info to your employer (which i hope you have) you would be listed on their insurance and if needed you should be able to obtain a letter of experience from their insurance company which would fill in the gap if it doesnt show up on your autoplus report.

Back
Top Bottom