Old bike owners - anyone tried the Continental Classic Attack? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old bike owners - anyone tried the Continental Classic Attack?

Matt Rain

Site Supporter
The FJ600 needs a new rear tire after ~13,000kms. Front still has tons of tread left. Been running Avon RoadRiders front and back with great results, but the few online reviews that are out there all say that the Continental Classic Attack (radial!) is mind-blowingly good.

Trying to decide between replacing the rear with another RoadRider or upgrading both to radial Contis. Anyone has anything good or bad to say about the Contis?

I just checked the internet. I think you're good to go:thumbup:

lol, I just saw your thread. Same pickle.

The adult thing to do would be to replace just the rear with another Avon. Them Contis ain't cheap.

lol, I just saw your thread. Same pickle.

The adult thing to do would be to replace just the rear with another Avon. Them Contis ain't cheap.

Ha! In December I bought Avon Trail Riders for another bike. Don't let the name fool you, these things are practically slicks. It's the way of the ADV world. Marketing. Anyhoo, the feel to the rubber is real sticky feeling. Are the Road Riders like that?

Yes, brand new RoadRiders are sticky to the touch as well. Couldn't be more satisfied with them. Alas, the urge to explore is fierce.

I usually run Avon Am22/23 on my vintage racer.
Last year I tried the Heidenaus (hated them)
I talked to two guys running the Conti Attack Classic and they raved about them. One was a RD350 and the other was a Laverda SF.
I only see a 90/90- 18 front in the Classic. That will work for a smaller bike, meaning I'm probably swapping the Heidenaus onto a street bike and the RD400 racer is getting Conti radials in the spring.
The Laverda was at the show last week, that beauty red 1977, and I got another look at it, then got talking to the owner. He was running a Conti Classic 110/90 rear and a 100/90 Attack 2 CR front (not sold in Canada)
http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/contiroadattack-2-cr/

Thanks bitzz. The FJ calls for a 90/90-18 at the front and 110/90-18 at the rear (same as the RD350 I believe) so the Classic Attack is a perfect fit. Really looking forward to trying them out.

Been running them for over a year on my RD350(421)LC. Mostly twisties on a Sunday and I've even had them at a track day at Infineon. Have used BT45's, Avon Road Riders and Pirelli Sport Demons on LC's and RZ's in the past.

I have a 2.15 rim on the front and a 2.5 on the rear so its not the standard 1.85 rim sizes that come on the LC

In general I like them.

Pros:
- Scuff in really quickly.
- Superb Dry Grip
- Retain their composure over bumpy surfaces and road snakes
- Great feed back. Gives lots of warning before they break free
- Holds the line very well through a corner
- Very planted at hard lean angles, very easy to ride right to the edge of the tire, even on the road.

Neutral:
- Longevity - I would say average. I can get around 3 or maybe 4k out of a rear - and this is a very light bike.
- I found wet grip to be average

Cons:
- Price
- Heavier than Avons or BT45. It is something you will notice but will get used to. Steering takes a little more effort
- They really show the inadequacies of old suspension that was designed for Bias tires. I ended up boxing in the swing-arm mounts and braced the frame on the LC and racetech/works performance front/rear. Its a nice combination with these tires
- Very picky about rim widths. I tried to squeeze a set onto standard LC rims and they pinched into this really weird profile. Avons perform much better in this respect

Overall:

I like them and would recommend them without reservation. I believe the your FJ (if its the one in the picture) runs exactly the same rim sizes as I'm running so the 90/90 18 and 110/90 18 will fit nicely and maintain a nice profile.

Last edited:
Neutral:
- Longevity - I would say average. I can get around 3 or maybe 4k out of a rear - and this is a very light bike.
- I found wet grip to be average

Ugh on both counts. I don't do tons of mileage and I don't purposely ride in the wet, but 3-4k would mean at least one mid-season tire change, and I do commute almost daily on the bike so rain is inevitable. The Avons are great in the wet.

Might just grab an extra set of wheels on eBay and experiment. Parts for these old Yammys are so cheap.

The FJ600 needs a new rear tire after ~13,000kms. Front still has tons of tread left. Been running Avon RoadRiders front and back with great results, but the few online reviews that are out there all say that the Continental Classic Attack (radial!) is mind-blowingly good.

Trying to decide between replacing the rear with another RoadRider or upgrading both to radial Contis. Anyone has anything good or bad to say about the Contis?

installed the classic attack radials on a 81 CB 750 this summer, great tires they really help the old bike, smooth ride , neutral steering modern tire technology...cant go wrong.

Ugh on both counts. I don't do tons of mileage and I don't purposely ride in the wet, but 3-4k would mean at least one mid-season tire change, and I do commute almost daily on the bike so rain is inevitable. The Avons are great in the wet.

Might just grab an extra set of wheels on eBay and experiment. Parts for these old Yammys are so cheap.

I will say that that is pretty spirited riding all the time though

I've been slightly toying with the idea of purchasing a CBX1000 from a friend of mine but finding tires is one of my (many) concerns. Think the front rim is only 2.15" wide and the rear 2.5", from what I can find. The Classic Attack sounded good but not sure they'll fit. Supposed to go see it this weekend.

Last edited:
I've been slightly toying with the idea of purchasing a CBX1000 from a friend of mine but finding tires is one of my (many) concerns. Think the front rim is only 2.15" wide and the rear 2.5", from what I can find. The Classic Attack sounded good but not sure they'll fit. Supposed to go see it this weekend.

Those are my exact rim widths. There aren't tons of options but the Avon Roadriders are popular and widely available.

Those are my exact rim widths. There aren't tons of options but the Avon Roadriders are popular and widely available.

Another option! Thanks. I did just look up the specs on the Classic Attacks and apparently they will fit.

7QwgA0V.png

(According to the specs I can find the CBX1000 has a 2.15x19 front and a 2.50x18 rear.)

http://blobs.continental-tires.com/...produktdatenblatt-conticlassicattack-data.pdf

Unless you do all your own maintenance, I'd steer clear. Six cylinders, 24 valves, 6 carbs etc.
That's a bike for an enthusiast, who loves to tinker. Many shops won't touch older bikes and neither will some insurance companies.
I'd also (obviously) check insurance, who wants to pay litre bike insurance with 1980 performance.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Unless you do all your own maintenance, I'd steer clear. Six cylinders, 24 valves, 6 carbs etc.
That's a bike for an enthusiast, who loves to tinker. Many shops won't touch older bikes and neither will some insurance companies.
I'd also (obviously) check insurance, who wants to pay litre bike insurance with 1980 performance.

It's gotta be easier to keep running than this silly 2 stroke.

Really the only reason I'm even considering it is insurance is almost the same as what I'm paying on my 125. And it's cheap.

It's gotta be easier to keep running than this silly 2 stroke.

Really the only reason I'm even considering it is insurance is almost the same as what I'm paying on my 125. And it's cheap.
I hear that. Your RS needs tight twisty roads or track. They really don't like steady rpm highway touring. Two strokes love to be running up and down through the gearbox.

I hear that. Your RS needs tight twisty roads or track. They really don't like steady rpm highway touring. Two strokes love to be running up and down through the gearbox.

What's frustrating is it lasted longer when I was taking it on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom