Choosing tires via review | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Choosing tires via review

Gold. Pleased tell more.
I really liked the mixed combo. Even doing a bunch of highway riding, it was not as buzzy as it would be with knobbies on the back too. The TKC80's have excellent dry pavement grip, so I would also go on spirited pavement rides and if I saw a gravel road then I would hit that up as well. I thought they also had decent wet grip too on pavement. The 80/20 Tourance on the back was a good compliment to the knobby front and together they provide decent tread life and versatility for the types of roads I was riding. I think I ended up getting around 8000km off the TKC front and about 16000km of the Tourance rear.

Since I flat out suck at riding dirt and gravel roads, I decided to try out the Anakee 3 tires on the front and rear, which I liked very much. If I was a better dirt rider and spent less time riding on pavement than I do now, then I would be riding the mixed combo all the time.

I really liked the mixed combo. Even doing a bunch of highway riding, it was not as buzzy as it would be with knobbies on the back too. The TKC80's have excellent dry pavement grip, so I would also go on spirited pavement rides and if I saw a gravel road then I would hit that up as well. I thought they also had decent wet grip too on pavement. The 80/20 Tourance on the back was a good compliment to the knobby front and together they provide decent tread life and versatility for the types of roads I was riding. I think I ended up getting around 8000km off the TKC front and about 16000km of the Tourance rear.

Since I flat out suck at riding dirt and gravel roads, I decided to try out the Anakee 3 tires on the front and rear, which I liked very much. If I was a better dirt rider and spent less time riding on pavement than I do now, then I would be riding the mixed combo all the time.

The mixed combo idea is starting to gain some traction now. While the big knob look is cool I'd feel like a knob if it wasn't a pragmatic decision. I think I'm getting there. Thanks!

Great info thanks Shane! I'll be looking for some tires soon.

Now a quick detour...Can I just buy a trail pass and use my street bike on it if I have these types of tires? Honestly looking at nothing more than a few trails near Wasaga Beach .... Simcoe County Forests I believe is the name of the trails near the cottage. That should be fun for some slow going through the woods...thoughts? Don't want anything soft/sand or very technical trails.

80/20 tires are basically street tires. Maybe a deeper slit here and there. It's a big adv bike marketing thing. I have worn out Tourances now looking to go a bit dirter. What ever you can do on the Tourances you can do on 100% street tires give or take a smidge.

I have two sets of wheels for my vstrom and go through a bunch of tires:

Last season I ran a Kenda big block rear, which is wearing fast... Will likely only get around 8k out of it, but I got it cheap, so no worries. It's terrible on wet pavement... I really have to be careful even with the vstroms meager power to not slip out.

I ran a 804 front and it's great. A little bit noisy, but its a definite improvement over the 705 front is replacing. It's also wearing very slowly.... Almost too slow.

I'll be trying the 805 rear next.

In the spring and fall when it's often wet I switch to my street tires and currently have a PR 4 rear and a tourance next front. Both work well on wet roads, I limit my offroading with these.

On the Drz I've typically run Kenda trakmasters but am getting tired of only getting 5k max from the rear. I've been called a dusty rider before... As opposed to a dirt rider, which means I typically don't bother riding in more adverse conditions like deep mud or sand, so I might even try a 805 rear for the long wear and a front trackmaster or motoz tractionator or something similar and see how that goes.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If memory serves (my head is spinning) I thought the knock on 805 is lateral traction? Looking at the knob pattern would confirm that. It's supposed to be great for traction driving forward.

I run a kenda 270 on the back of a klr and it is fine on gravel and pavement. It doesn't like mud as the knobs are closer together than the trakmaster II's. Currently have an old trail wing on the front, but I have a 270 front that will most likely go on this winter.

If memory serves (my head is spinning) I thought the knock on 805 is lateral traction? Looking at the knob pattern would confirm that. It's supposed to be great for traction driving forward.

Yeah, that is the worry with the 805... I haven't tried one yet so I can't comment. The 804 front works very well for me though... I will likely keep using that (and I have to... I am at 12000km and it barely shows wear!)

If the 805 doesn't work out it's not a big loss, then I'll try a tkc or something else.

Dualsport Bob from ODSC (from Burlington) whom I ride with sometimes is another 'dusty rider' and likes to rave on about the k270. He claims he gets over 10000km out of one on his DR350 or DR650 and suits his purposes fine. That is another option if it comes in a size that works for you.

Yeah, that is the worry with the 805... I haven't tried one yet so I can't comment. The 804 front works very well for me though... I will likely keep using that (and I have to... I am at 12000km and it barely shows wear!)

If the 805 doesn't work out it's not a big loss, then I'll try a tkc or something else.

Dualsport Bob from ODSC (from Burlington) whom I ride with sometimes is another 'dusty rider' and likes to rave on about the k270. He claims he gets over 10000km out of one on his DR350 or DR650 and suits his purposes fine. That is another option if it comes in a size that works for you.

Can't figure out the 804. Counter intuitive performance/mileage. I'd give up a bit of that 12,000kms for even better road performance. I'm starting to narrow down to TKC80 or 804. Rear tire, I'd be happy with Shinko 705. Bonus that's a cheap combo. K270 plus other interesting tires don't come in my sizes. So to confirm front/rear bias-radial is a non-issue? LOL, is Bob M still pounding out the miles? Tell him Hi!

So to confirm front/rear bias-radial is a non-issue? LOL, is Bob M still pounding out the miles? Tell him Hi!

I'm no tire scientist but have never cared if a tire is bias or radial or if the combo is mixed and never had a problem, but I'm not very picky and just make whatever I have work. Yep, Bob is still pounding out the miles and leading Creemore group rides. Greetings will be forwarded; if I remember.

I'm no tire scientist but have never cared if a tire is bias or radial or if the combo is mixed and never had a problem, but I'm not very picky and just make whatever I have work. Yep, Bob is still pounding out the miles and leading Creemore group rides. Greetings will be forwarded; if I remember.

I'd go along with that. If it's round, in decent knick and mostly full of air there should be no problem. Even Moto GP500 ran with bias/radial combo for a bit back in the day. Or was it AMA Superbike? Can't remember, too many videos!

I'm actually running a tkc80 front and 805 rear. No complaints with the front, wet, dry or gravel it's stable and planted. The 805 is good but does lack lateral grip and doesn't inspire much confidence in the rear on gravel. About 5000km on both and the rear 805 is gonna be done by 7k I'd think, while the tkc front looks barely worn.
I paid $128 shipped from Fortnine for the 805, can't say I'm disappointed.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm actually running a tkc80 front and 805 rear. No complaints with the front, wet, dry or gravel it's stable and planted. The 805 is good but does lack lateral grip and doesn't inspire much confidence in the rear on gravel. About 5000km on both and the rear 805 is gonna be done by 7k I'd think, while the tkc front looks barely worn.
I paid $128 shipped from Fortnine for the 805, can't say I'm disappointed.

Edit: To be fair, the 805 rear is much better in the dirt and gravel when you air it down from "street pressyre".

Not unlike P.E. Trudeau, needing to make a big decision, I busted a couple judo moves and took a walk in the snow. Looks like it's going to be Shinko 804 front and Mitas E-07 bringing up the rear. Second choice; TKC80 front. Thanks everybody!

Before I knew anything much about motorcycle tires, I posted polls here and on other motorcycle forums, specifically for my bike and/or the type of a bike (as in sport touring for example).
That's how I came up with Michelin Pilot Road series after 3/4 of the pool chose that exact tire (for VFR800).
I don't have the VFR any longer but I still do a lot of touring on the Fazer and since the OE tires are just about done, I'm going to stick with newest Pilot Road. There's no way to road test all the models and I've always been confident with PRs.

For the KLR, I have a TKC80 on the front as well and will mount one on the rear since currently, the rear (Dunlop) is too street oriented and slips quite a bit offroad.
What influenced me however is not just TKC80's renown but the price, since I got the set used for $40 with about 80% tread left. TKC-80 is a 40/60 tire I believe so even the rear should last a bit on the pavement.
With that in mind, I was never opposed to mixed sets for DS motorcycles and I may go that way again once I wear out the current set.

I think I ended up getting around 8000km off the TKC front and about 16000km of the Tourance rear.

Heidenau K60 Scouts here. 25,000km on the front, 15,000km rear, most of it asphalt. Fine tires to be sure, but definitely heavier on the wallet.

And don't feel bad Shane; I suck on the dirt and and gravel, too. Doesn't mean I'll stop riding it, though.

via Tapatalk

How do you choose tires? I can't be the only one who spends days reviewing every tire option pros and cons and still comes up empty. You think you've got one nailed down only to stumble upon a poor review that contradicts all the good ones or worse, you finalize a decision only your fave supplier can't get it or way over priced. I find tires are the hardest thing to choose. It's like buying shoes off the internet.
Start by telling yourself what do you want out of the tire.

Supreme grip?
Durability?
Good in rain?

You ain't getting all of that in one tire so make a choice on what is more important. Then just go and get yourself a set of Pilot Road 4s

The way i look at it, to choose a performance tire; Go to the race track. Find the fastest privateers (the guys who buy their tires, not the guys that get sponsor tires). Run that tire.

For the street,anything is a decent tire...

except Dunlop. I hate Dunlop.

... and Bridgestone I hate Bridge stone.

... and Michelin..... I hate Michelin
So 99.9 percent of us? Lol

I used to think the tire that was the stickiest was the best, then I grow up and realized that most people on street Bikes won't out perform the tire, so get the **** that last the longest with good performance.... Agsin pilot roads

Start by telling yourself what do you want out of the tire.

Supreme grip?
Durability?
Good in rain?

You ain't getting all of that in one tire so make a choice on what is more important. Then just go and get yourself a set of Pilot Road 4s

Thanking you kindly but you have to understand my situation is somewhat unique because I'm a special kind of retard, to wit; I saw a picture of Mr. Martini Triumph Scrambler with high front fender. I cannot, will not, go forward w/o high front fender, no way no how. Except you can't run a high fender desert sled w/o knobbular tire. I got along fine with 80/20 up till now. Now I need 50/50 minimum. What do I tell myself now?

How do you choose tires? I can't be the only one who spends days reviewing every tire option pros and cons and still comes up empty. You think you've got one nailed down only to stumble upon a poor review that contradicts all the good ones or worse, you finalize a decision only your fave supplier can't get it or way over priced. I find tires are the hardest thing to choose. It's like buying shoes off the internet.

I look up reviews like crazy, finally settle on a tire, then find out they don't sell it in the size I need. Then I ask on here any everyone just says, "There's lots of great options in that size. Just pick one." Then I go do tons more research and might end up with another set of tires within a year. This is mostly because every review loves the Pilot Road series which aren't available in my size.

Back
Top Bottom