Choosing tires via review | GTAMotorcycle.com

Choosing tires via review

inreb

Site Supporter
How do you choose tires? I can't be the only one who spends days reviewing every tire option pros and cons and still comes up empty. You think you've got one nailed down only to stumble upon a poor review that contradicts all the good ones or worse, you finalize a decision only your fave supplier can't get it or way over priced. I find tires are the hardest thing to choose. It's like buying shoes off the internet.

@ GateKeeper BT-45? Loved them.

I find the safest answer is to usually get the most expensive tires from the cheapest place.

And with rave reviews (except that one guy) and then you find rear tire life is measured in metres.

head down to murder central, get off your steed, clear your throat... "so... Q3's?". Sit back watch the show, have a coffee or three, maybe go for a ride or walk... when you get back, head over to the bike of the last guy still talking tires and see what he's got; get anything but those

^ the guy who gets his elbow down coming into the parking lot? I want his tires. (Katana)

You could also ask TLR stig; rumour has it he's an old pro.. have to catch him when he's not doing a linc shakedown of his race bike of course

be nice

Yea I do the same for cars and bikes. Read **** tons of owner testimonies and professional reviews to narrow the selection down to 2 or 3. Then go with whichever I can find the best deal on.

Once you ditch cupped or squared tires bare to the cords, anything new seems so much better.

Tires can't do all things well. Only some. Great traction, poor wear, good wet grip, greasy when dry, good wear, poor traction etc.

And what is considered good? Good wear? 15,000kms? 3000kms?

I like Bridgestones for the compromise on most things but not particularly very good.

I'm no Rossi so, I find they grip well enough for street riding and spirited/aggressive turns etc. Not bad caught in the rain and wear pretty good.

There is always that few that go against the grain and slag what most agree that is pretty decent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way i look at it, to choose a performance tire; Go to the race track. Find the fastest privateers (the guys who buy their tires, not the guys that get sponsor tires). Run that tire.

For the street,anything is a decent tire...

except Dunlop. I hate Dunlop.

... and Bridgestone I hate Bridge stone.

... and Michelin..... I hate Michelin

Yea can't really go wrong on the street short of buying DOTs or slicks or something. I've been pretty happy with every street tire I've tried. The Metzeler M5 lasted the longest but I rode that down to the cord. My favourite is the Q3 which I use street and track. Probably doesn't last as long on the street but they feel really nice.

Trial and error

running new Metzler Roadtech M6, dealer recommended, still undecided if I like them or not
I am about to give Roadtech a try. Bang for the price

I currently run continental tkc80 knobbies on my versys. Great gravel tire, lots of fun on pavement as I can get it to slide pretty easy. Caution must be taken on wet asphalt lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

How about a 80/20 tire or so? I asked before but can't find the thread where someone linked an ad on kijiji to some good ones. Went to the shop a few weeks ago and they said that tires are running low (around 15k) and starting the search. Considering 20/80 just simply to get off the road once in a while.

How about a 80/20 tire or so? I asked before but can't find the thread where someone linked an ad on kijiji to some good ones. Went to the shop a few weeks ago and they said that tires are running low (around 15k) and starting the search. Considering 20/80 just simply to get off the road once in a while.
Don't know if they have these types of tires in your rims sizes, but Metzler Tourance are decent 80/20 tires. There are 3 different versions of them - the original non-exp tire, the exp tire and the next tire. I prefer the original and next tires the most from this line.

Michelin makes the Anakee tires which might work as 80/20 for you. I uses the Anakee 3 tires and they are excellent for wet weather grip, cold grip and twisty cornering.

Heidenau also makes the K60 tires and some others.

Or go cheap and get the Shinko 705.

I used to also run a TKC80 on the front and an 80/20 tire like a Tourance on the back which was a nice combo.

Now I just use the Pilot Road 4 and will take them on hard packed gravel or dirt, but nothing soft.

I currently run continental tkc80 knobbies on my versys. Great gravel tire, lots of fun on pavement as I can get it to slide pretty easy. Caution must be taken on wet asphalt lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm always looking for gravel roads when out and about but the fact is, here in southern Ontario, you're still going to do a lot of pavement in between. I've been forced to rule out the big block rear tires on account of mileage wear but I'm reading encouraging reports about TKC 80, Shinko E804 fronts. Apparently they stick pretty good on the tarmac, for what they are. Can you confirm? Technically I could probably run anything in the rear because I don't go into mud or serious dirt. I just don't want the front washing out on gravel roads. Was looking at and excited for the Mitas E-07 rear but the hard rubber/rain manners are putting me off. I may just end up defaulting to the Shinko 705 rear. They've always been good to me but with the big block front that's mixing bias/radial. What to do?

Back
Top Bottom