Insurance Question for G1 Driver | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Question for G1 Driver

j2

Sorry its not motorcycle related but my son is getting his G1 in a couple of weeks.

I was just on the phone with TD and they said that no insurance company will add a G1 driver to a policy as a second driver, BUT he is (supposedly) already covered under my insurance as I'm giving him permission to take the vehicle and I'll be sitting beside him.

My policy states that anyone can drive my car as long as I give them permission.

Is that correct? Or are they feeding me a line because they won't add G1 drivers to TD policies and they don't want me to switch?

They said when he gets his G2 and can take the car on his own, come back.

When I asked them to send me a letter to that effect they refused.

It just sounds strange, has anyone else been through this?

Although if he were to get an M1 it appears as though he would need insurance to ride my bike. I'm very confused..... Maybe some of the Insurance Brokers on the forum could help.

Thanks In Advance

I don't think they can add a G1 driver as a primary driver, but they can definitely insure him as a secondary/occasional driver.

We are with BelAir and when both of our kids got their G1 licences we called and had them added accordingly. My son drove under his G1 with us for 2.5 years before getting his G2 this past summer and he got credit (with Belair) for those 2.5 years of accident free experience when he got his own policy, so having him on our policy was a definite plus. The cost was zero but his name was definatley there, although he never got a pink slip of course since we were still the primary drivers.

G1 drivers do not have to be listed on, or rated on your policy, but the second he has the G2 he needs to be added and rated.

M1 he would have to be listed and rated for or excluded, reason being he is able to ride a motorcycle by himself with a M1 but can not drive by himself with a G1.

depending on what bike you have the insurance company may require you to have him excluded, and if you have a sports car you may want to have him excluded on it or they may want him listed as primary on it vs the family minivan.

G1 doesn't seem to count. I called my insurance when he got his G1. They said, o.k. Let us know when he gets the G2 and we'll add him as a secondary driver then.

I would just add one thing: I have a stipulation on my State Farm auto policy that doesn't allow drivers under 25 years of age. Make sure that you don't have that.
Strange though that they would tell you that it is one way, but not put it into writing.

Sent from the Purple Zone

I would just add one thing: I have a stipulation on my State Farm auto policy that doesn't allow drivers under 25 years of age. Make sure that you don't have that.
Strange though that they would tell you that it is one way, but not put it into writing.

Sent from the Purple Zone

it just comes direct from FSCO.

3. Minister's policy statement

On June 2, 1994, Floyd Laughren, Minister of Finance issued a policy statement on matters related to risk classification systems and automobile insurance rates. The policy statement was issued in conjunction with the introduction of graduated licensing in Ontario.

The Minister is of the opinion that the introduction of graduated licensing in Ontario will reduce claims costs and accident frequency. The Minister considered a study prepared by the Ontario Insurance Commission indicating that $34 - $40 million of claim costs annually will be saved following the implementation of graduated licensing. The study also estimates that accident frequency for the first year driver will decrease by 10 - 20 per cent.

The Minister is of the view that savings in the system associated with graduated licensing should be passed on to drivers that progress through the graduated licensing system.
The Minister indicated that in respect to risk classification systems, it is government policy that insurers take a uniform approach to rating novice and newly-licensed drivers:

• Level One drivers are not to be rated
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Pages/a-10_94.aspx

Everything I found online states that kids living in the same household with a G1 must at least be mentioned to your insurance company. They aren't rated, but they must be noted.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/ontario-g1-license-requirements-and-restrictions/

Having both of our kids at least documented on our policy did benefit them down the road when they got their own cars however - our current insurance company rated them with an equivalent number of years of experience as to what they drove under our policy with their G1.

For my son who drove nearly 3 years under his G1, the discount was notable.

Back
Top Bottom