For the right-leaning members here, which Conservative candidate would you vote for? | GTAMotorcycle.com

For the right-leaning members here, which Conservative candidate would you vote for?

Motorcycle Mike

I've never been very politically motivated but always leaned somewhat right... fiscally right, socially more left I suppose, as I do think mary-jane should be legal, for example.

I've never joined a political party before, but this year I joined the Conservatives in particular to vote for anyone but O'Leary... as I think he'd be a disaster of a candidate. I told him as much on his website too: https://olearyforcanada.ca/

So O'Leary is out (actually he hasn't even confirmed he's running yet, but anyway). Leitch is out as she is anti-immigrant, and face it, this country is built by and runs on immigrants... many of which are also right-leaning. Pierre Lemieux is out for me as I've read he is a social conservative and wants to re-open the abortion debate -- no thanks.

What's important to me for the candidate? Well, I'd prefer a fiscal conservative who doesn't tax and spend... Sure I would love to have all of the social programs we can think of, but the reality is that even as a childless couple with decent incomes between us, and as frugal as we are (aside from my motorcycle hobby, which is all paid for and I don't spend much money on anymore), we are damn near pay-cheque-to-pay-cheque with all of the damn taxes, fees, ever rising costs and never rising income... I simply can't afford all of the perks, sorry, tapped out. Something needs to be cut... want to tax carbon, fine, then lessen income taxes... but that isn't happening now.

Secondly, I am a gun owner and a veteran. I would only vote for someone who respects the property rights of citizens and not idiotic do-nothing gun laws such as banning certain guns on name or appearance alone. I also think veterans, especially those who suffer from PTSD need to be taken care of. You send them to hell-holes to witness the worst mankind has to offer but then do nothing for them when they are back -- and you get vets like the one last week who was turned away when he sought help and then killed himself and his family as he was suffering... and you have a legion run by non military who couldn't care less for or even want to be there for the modern vets.... but I digress.

Finally, I think our self-defence laws need a major overhaul. True, we have a safe county, so these issues (thankfully) don't often come up, however I think our self-defence laws are an utter joke. You can't carry a knife or pepper spray or anything else for the purpose of defence. It doesn't matter if you are an 80 year old woman who likes to walk in the park at night... you can't carry anything for defence. Call the police if you are attacked... be a victim. Friggin beta and pathetic.

Anyway... I'm leaning towards Max Bernier at the moment, but I admit I haven't read all of the candidates profiles yet, and it's a long way until the May Conservative election... who would you vote for to lead the Conservatives? For you swing voters, which candidate would make you more likely to vote Conservative next time around?

Find a bipolar candidate and vote for him/her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to know as well

As a long time conservative , I'm not yet seeing a candidate that makes me think he/she will lead us out of the wilderness. O'leary is Trump lite, a blow hard that talks a good game. I'll need to see some platform that can be realistically implemented.

Since CDN's want to model our society after the Americans, we may need a mid level celebrity or ex wrestler to step up. JT was famous for his last name and it carried the day. Maybe Nellie Furtado or Jann Arden could take a run. Or Deadmau5.

Mike, my brother was a Toronto motorcycle cop many decades ago and he once complained to a mechanic that the bikes were dirty. The mechanic told him dirt was holding the motorcycles together. If you clean them they'll fall apart.

Society has become like those bikes. While I agree with many of your thoughts it would take the wisdom of Solomon to fix things.

We haven't been weeding the garden for decades and the sprouts that could have been pulled out in a second have grown into massive oaks that we now revere but can't afford to maintain.

Only a fool or con artist would want to run this country. Which to elect?

The PM is a puppet to the party and we need more people like you joining the party to affect how the strings are being pulled.

BTW I get the conservative newsletters and they're mostly whining BS so change is needed.

Michael Chong is the only conservative candidate running right now I would vote for.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

As a long time conservative , I'm not yet seeing a candidate that makes me think he/she will lead us out of the wilderness. O'leary is Trump lite, a blow hard that talks a good game. I'll need to see some platform that can be realistically implemented.

Since CDN's want to model our society after the Americans, we may need a mid level celebrity or ex wrestler to step up. JT was famous for his last name and it carried the day. Maybe Nellie Furtado or Jann Arden could take a run. Or Deadmau5.

Rather than Canadians wanting to be like Americans I feel we are forced by geography and intimidation to think like them. When you're chained to a gorilla you go where it wants to go and eat what it wants to eat.

If JT had a different last name he'd be selling insurance in Saskatoon.

I'm trying to picture O'Leary wearing a wig and having Cheesies rubbed on his face.

I'm much too simple and complicated to be pigeon holed as either liberal or conservative whether fiscally, socially or morally. I look at the population and I see people are all the same, then I look again and see that people are all different. Now I'm to hack and slash my way thru the bs machine that is the window dressing of politics to pick a suitable leader of a suitable party? 6/49 looks like a safe bet by that standard. I can only offer an uninformed opinion. Kevin O'Leary. There, I said it. And I hate that. I've always had a 90% dislike for the man based on his blowhard utterances on the telly whether game show or "serious" interview. Until recently. Now that he's taking a serious look to wanting to be PM he's starting to show a side with leadership understanding and merit. "Show" being the operative word. Also, friends who have attended his financial seminars say he is nothing like the buffoon(O'Leary v Chris Hedges debate for example) we've come to despise. At the end of the day a lot of this sudden interest in serving the public seems opportunistic and ego (massive) driven. How does that make him any different from any other politician and Meryl Streep? Gonna take a look at Max B. next. Watch for my report.

Michael Chong is the only conservative candidate running right now I would vote for.

Can you elaborate as to why? I checked out his website and can't find much to go on as to what his policies might be.

I have similar views as the OP but, I've become too jaded and cynical to take a vested interest in politics.

It's not sour grapes. It's simply seeing from life experience that voting trends appear to go with who is the most likeable candidate or eliminating a candidate because they weren't likeable.

The last federal and province elections are prime examples.

Politicians are human and fallible. I don't need to like them but, I need them to make tough decisions and stand by them.

It appears the tax and spend approach is resonating with the population now. The rising cost of living, taxation is palatable as long as you can work for a governement job or make a decent living in unionized jobs or live in the lower income brackets where little bonuses like a tax return or tax break is enough to swallow the pill. The middle class is discouraged being caught in between and can't speak up too loudly as making a decent income and complaining about living pay check to pay check doesn't produce much empathy.

My philosophy doesn't jive with the system so, I'll never really have a political party that reflects my believes and be in a position to make change.

Government shouldn't run things. They should govern.

And private sectors should run businesses with proper governance and accountable for any inappropriate or waste.

It's not perfect. It's not practical. But, it's what I think would benefit our country.

Can't stand the millions and billions wasted. And the train keeps rolling.

My net income has decreased or remained stagnant over the last decade. The gross looks impressive.

So at the end of all this, who do I support? Haven't a clue. Guess I'll wait and see who makes the cut and see if I can get behind him or her.

But it still feels like a fools errand if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really have an opinion, but the candidate has to be able to converse in both english and french, and (from what i heard), that rules out quite a few possible candidates, including Mr. O'Leary.

Same here, so far he is the only one that seems to get trickle down economics and bigotry are not the road to being PM.

Last edited:
I pay so much tax & can't understand how the country can be in debt. The answer is not taxes, the answer is in the spending. No amount of taxes can solve this debt. It's like watching a celebrity with a gambling problem or a cocaine addiction

More like celebrities buying their friends Ferrari's, mansions, yachts as thank yous.

Ashley MacIsaac is supposedly a committed Conservative.

Back
Top Bottom