Warm weather next week but bike is winterized | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warm weather next week but bike is winterized

arogal

The forecast looks pretty decent for next week! I know its a bit too early to accurately forecast next weeks weather, but I am staying positive. Wednesday through Sunday is supposed to be 6-8 degrees, with 2 of the days being partly sunny. There has been enough rain yesterday and today to wipe 90% of the salt off the roads.
Now to my question. This is my first winter with a bike and many people say that once your bike is winterized, don't start it up till riding season. My underground parking doesn't get below freezing, but at the moment it is probably 2-5 degrees. Would there be an issue going for a quick ride next week to get the itch off and letting my bike sit again till spring? Would i need to top up with gas again and add more fuel stabilizer?
KP4euAuNPuAuNLYBd6ExApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzwv8HMV1luTAZLeMAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

As long as you bring the entire engine and drivetrain up to full operating temperature it's not a big deal. It's the people who think they're doing their bike a favor by starting it for a few minutes every couple of weeks (in subzero temps) who are doing far more harm than good simply because it attracts moisture everywhere that never gets burned off. If the engine and drivetrain come up to full operating temperature it's not a biggie.

And sure, topping up with fuel and adding a bit more stabilizer won't hurt...you can't really overdose on stabilizer (within reason) so adding a little more can never hurt.

Riding a supersport between 0 to 5 degrees is like only having foreplay with a really hot girl. Your back tire is going to be kicking out so much if you try to have any fun.

Still too much salt for my liking, since they will probably keep putting it down every night no matter the temp. Not to mention as nice as a quick local ride would be nice (given PMS), it's not like you could go for a real ride up north even if the weather is slightly better here.

Personally I'm just hoping winter officially ends at the start of April, and the plows go away and the street sweepers start appearing...

There is a very very good chance the weather will not end up as forecasted.

There is a very very good chance the weather will not end up as forecasted.

There is a very high chance the weather is right for the next 20ish days. I have access to sources that the weather network doesn't.

Where are you guys seeing 6-8 degrees? The highest The Weather Network shows is 5.

油井緋色;2469737 said:
There is a very high chance the weather is right for the next 20ish days. I have access to sources that the weather network doesn't.

I find forecasts are pretty good about temperatures but precipitation? Might as well as ask your dog

油井緋色;2469737 said:

From your reliable sources can you tell me if we gonna have a nice spring and hot summer?;)

I find forecasts are pretty good about temperatures but precipitation? Might as well as ask your dog

I get rain reports as well, I was using them for track days this summer and it was really spot on. I'd pick weeks where the reports said hot, high confidence, and little rain.

From your reliable sources can you tell me if we gonna have a nice spring and hot summer?;)

We will not get a spring this year. Winter is supposed to bleed into late April with an abrupt pattern change in May (sudden summer).

Because the long term report I got was in December, I only trust it up until April/May. June is too close to the 180 day cut off so it's unreliable; so no news on summer...yet!

Some of the reports seem to be geared towards optimistic long range forcasts, that get worse as the day approaches.

If you bring your bike out in January, don't bother re-winterizing. Just park it normally. It's not that many weeks until you'll be riding it again.

990137a5f226542385ad9534a327639e.jpg

Glad I didn't winterize, little stabilizer in the tank and carb and battery out, 5 minutes and ready to go :)

It is now supposed to be 10 degrees on the weekend of the 20th and 21st. If the rain holds off, it's pretty damn hard to resist double digits!

油井緋色;2469732 said:
Riding a supersport between 0 to 5 degrees is like only having foreplay with a really hot girl. Your back tire is going to be kicking out so much if you try to have any fun.
:agave:

油井緋色;2469737 said:

So would you say next weekend is going to be 6-8 degrees? I wana drive to Niagara Falls that weekend instead of tomorrow.

Last edited:
:agave:

So would you say next weekend is going to be 6-8 degrees? I wana drive to Niagara Falls that weekend instead of tomorrow.

Not sure of the exact temps. I know it will be a lot higher than the average for the next 10~ days.

Last edited:
I do it every winter and my garage seems to be colder than outside. Don't worry so much and ride. Just be careful with the conditions as the road will be cold and so are the tires.
The forecast looks pretty decent for next week! I know its a bit too early to accurately forecast next weeks weather, but I am staying positive. Wednesday through Sunday is supposed to be 6-8 degrees, with 2 of the days being partly sunny. There has been enough rain yesterday and today to wipe 90% of the salt off the roads.
Now to my question. This is my first winter with a bike and many people say that once your bike is winterized, don't start it up till riding season. My underground parking doesn't get below freezing, but at the moment it is probably 2-5 degrees. Would there be an issue going for a quick ride next week to get the itch off and letting my bike sit again till spring? Would i need to top up with gas again and add more fuel stabilizer?
KP4euAuNPuAuNLYBd6ExApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzApCcPkBytgGSMwKQnD5AcrYBkjMCkJw QHK2AZIzwv8HMV1luTAZLeMAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

Glad I didn't winterize, little stabilizer in the tank and carb and battery out, 5 minutes and ready to go :)
So what else do you do to winterize the bike apart from putting Stabilizer and remove the battery? lol

Back
Top Bottom