Thoughts on these gear? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on these gear?

If it helps, I wear full gear (one piece, back protector insert, gauntlets, etc.) on the street as part of a deal with my spouse. I am totally comfortable but people definitely give me funny looks :)

Make sure everything fits well and you're comfortable! Also, I would not make too many Tim Hortons runs because stopping to pee sucks in a one piece!

Don't think one can really "outgrow" an R3 when in Toronto.. Unless you're a larger person that is...

I have all black gear, but I subconsciously regret buying dark gear when riding at night... For safety..

OP - You're looking for the "best looking" gear when you should really find gear that fits properly, then look into color options.

Also looks like you're shopping online for these products which I would highly recommend not doing especially when buying gear for the first time. Different helmets are shaped for different shaped heads.
At the very least, go somewhere that carries the same model, and if they don't have the color you want or are overpriced in comparison, order online knowing that you've tried it and it fits.

I tried on both the RF-1200 and the Corsair X at the Supershow last week, both fits very well and it was checked over by the guys at GPBikes to make sure I had it on correctly. I'm a large in both brands of helmet and for the Dainese Avro, I'm a 48. I tried on everything before I made this post.

As others have said, fit is more important than looks. As with fit, biggest mistake people make is getting baggy gear. Everything should fit as snug as it can without being uncomfortably tight - it shouldn't fit roomy like your typical non-riding pants/jackets. The more snug your gear the more likely the armour will stay in place in a fall and less likely the leather will bunch up and tear through.

Where colour comes in is if that is what makes or breaks it with you choosing to actually wear the gear. You can buy the best fitting, most protective gear, but if you choose not to wear it for vanity reasons, you might as well not have even bought it :laughing5:

Also don't be afraid to wear full gear/suit etc on the streets... Who cares what others think or say how you look, if you're comfortable wearing a full suit, its your body you're protecting so more power to you. Again, protection and fit is more important than looks (even though most modern gear looks great anyways BTW)

I tried on both the RF-1200 and the Corsair X at the Supershow last week, both fits very well and it was checked over by the guys at GPBikes to make sure I had it on correctly. I'm a large in both brands of helmet and for the Dainese Avro, I'm a 48. I tried on everything before I made this post. Yea, I was at first planning on getting a two-piece suit, the Avro from Dainese (would had been cheaper as well to get a full leather suit than buying a pair of Dainese Charger Jeans (they ain't even out yet) and the Avro Jacket, but too be honest with you, I get hella hot in the summer, even when I'm wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, I sweat so much.

If it helps, I wear full gear (one piece, back protector insert, gauntlets, etc.) on the street as part of a deal with my spouse. I am totally comfortable but people definitely give me funny looks :)

Make sure everything fits well and you're comfortable! Also, I would not make too many Tim Hortons runs because stopping to pee sucks in a one piece!

Doesn't it get hot though in a full suit?

LOL even on a 2pc its a hassle! And I guess I've been fortunate in my area most of the reactions are smiles and waves, or thumbs up/peace signs ahah I do tend to do the token Asian double handed peace sign alot when I catch someone looking over at a stop light.

I tried on both the RF-1200 and the Corsair X at the Supershow last week, both fits very well and it was checked over by the guys at GPBikes to make sure I had it on correctly. I'm a large in both brands of helmet and for the Dainese Avro, I'm a 48. I tried on everything before I made this post. Yea, I was at first planning on getting a two-piece suit, the Avro from Dainese (would had been cheaper as well to get a full leather suit than buying a pair of Dainese Charger Jeans (they ain't even out yet) and the Avro Jacket, but too be honest with you, I get hella hot in the summer, even when I'm wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, I sweat so much.
Doesn't it get hot though in a full suit?

I'm sort of a gear whore (very grateful alot of stuff was passed from my older bro who doesn't ride anymore), my usual setup is I use his old (not very perforated) Teknic Speedstar 2piece up to around 20-25ishdegrees. Than anything above that I purchased an Icon Hypersport Prime (VERY perforated, the most ventilated leather jacket I could find that I liked), paired with Alpinestars A-10 Air-Flo textile pants (again, extremely ventilated... from the name I guessing A*stars max airflow line). When doing my research I tried to find the most ventilated yet most protective gear I could find and that jacket pants combo fit my needs nicely and I liked the look. Personally, I don't sweat too much in general, but I didn't once feel overly hot or extremely sweaty. Sure at lights and stops it does get pretty hot, but I'd rather feel hot at lights than have large parts of skin sanded off me in a slide, or not be able to work for months while bones heal, or worse. And I'm not naive to think gear makes me invincible to injury, if I hit something hard enough I know I'm still f*cked lol.

If you're a visual person, here's how the gear looks on the bike (I found this helped me alot when I was new and choosing gear).
BTW In all pics I have an HJC CL-17 Helmet, Dainese Carbon Cover ST gloves, and Alpinestars SMX-5 boots.

2001 model Teknic Speedstar 2-piece (no back hump so good for wearing back packs):
13651994_505381812990621_1079898052_n.jpg

Icon Hypersport Prime Jacket, Alpinestars A10 Air-Flo pants (knee pucks included for "spirited" riding!) Don't mind the Capitano Americano shield backpack... I usually use that just for photos or sh*ts and giggles:p
14359543_1784107798538615_9127125564962897920_n.jpg

I found wearing proper base layers (under armour etc.) helps ALOT to wick sweat and keep you cool:
15534917_1157116161010910_8905329081520750592_n.jpg

I also just purchased a Alpinestars Atem one piece, but its too small so have to sell it :sad11: (anyone here interested? lol)

That backpack is amazing! :)

Agree on the base layer, it makes it easier to get all the sweaty gear off as well - for anyone that is looking I would recommend two piece layer so you can split them up and also easier to pee (ok in the last three posts I talked about pee twice, oh man)

How's the HJC helmet fit? They make a really cool Spider-Man and Venom version that I always want to try on!

Also how's the tinted visor? I've been too cheap to buy one so I do clear + sunglasses...

Practicality issues aside, you'll look like a doofus (or worse) wearing a full suit riding around town
Brah
Don't even.
It's the only way to ride.
I'm getting full one piece leathers for my Burrito Boyz runs next year. ?

Gear is good. Full leather 1 piece suit is not practical for street riding imo. I haven't looked at that jean OP, just make sure it has the proper protection and Kevlar. Or else go with a leather pant.

Somebody mentioned "motorcycle socks", is this really a thing? Never heard of them.

Edit: after reading some other posts, and seeing some people do use a 1 piece, probably better to see what they think. I just figured it would be a bit of a b**** to use for regular riding. And definitely cumbersome when pee time came.

@puresolidness was that last pic taken purposely on the kiss n ride logo? Lol.
Sent from the Purple Zone

Last edited:
LOL even on a 2pc its a hassle! And I guess I've been fortunate in my area most of the reactions are smiles and waves, or thumbs up/peace signs ahah I do tend to do the token Asian double handed peace sign alot when I catch someone looking over at a stop light.

I'm sort of a gear whore (very grateful alot of stuff was passed from my older bro who doesn't ride anymore), my usual setup is I use his old (not very perforated) Teknic Speedstar 2piece up to around 20-25ishdegrees. Than anything above that I purchased an Icon Hypersport Prime (VERY perforated, the most ventilated leather jacket I could find that I liked), paired with Alpinestars A-10 Air-Flo textile pants (again, extremely ventilated... from the name I guessing A*stars max airflow line). When doing my research I tried to find the most ventilated yet most protective gear I could find and that jacket pants combo fit my needs nicely and I liked the look. Personally, I don't sweat too much in general, but I didn't once feel overly hot or extremely sweaty. Sure at lights and stops it does get pretty hot, but I'd rather feel hot at lights than have large parts of skin sanded off me in a slide, or not be able to work for months while bones heal, or worse. And I'm not naive to think gear makes me invincible to injury, if I hit something hard enough I know I'm still f*cked lol.

I guess I need to check out this Icon ventilated jacket because I can't imagine weather my A* perf leather jacket at anything above 25C.

I have multiple 1pc suits. Don't wear them for regular riding. Off track or not dedicated sporting runs a 2pc would be best. I use that for touring and casual rides. Much easier at lunch or comfort breaks. Commuting, I'll admit to only MC jacket(leather or textile mesh) and jeans. Always good boots, gloves and helmet.

How's the HJC helmet fit? They make a really cool Spider-Man and Venom version that I always want to try on!

Also how's the tinted visor? I've been too cheap to buy one so I do clear + sunglasses...

That HJC CL17 is super comfortable for me and is exactly my head shape (intermediate oval/roundish). CL17 is one of the few that have size XXXL to fit my solar-eclipse sized noggin, which is why it looks kinda bobbleheaded! And fully agree'd those Spiderman and Venom HJC RPHA 11s look sweet! I heard the new 11's fit small though so most likely wouldn't fit my cranium :(

I did recently get a good deal on the outgoing RPHA 10 in this graphic,
sporthelmhjcr-pha10plusjpg.jpg

its much more of a race fit (aka tight on the face) but MUCH lighter than the CL17 and reviews say its alot more stable at speed and better suited for the tuck position.

As for my tinted Visor, the photos don't show it too well, but its a silver mirror reflective "tint" and I find for HJC at least, the mirrors ones are actually not very darkly tinted at all, maybe like 30% of the dark smoke visors, if it was really sunny I'd still be squinting. But on the flip side I can still use it at night no problems :thumbup:

@puresolidness was that last pic taken purposely on the kiss n ride logo? Lol.

HAHA the double entendre was too good NOT to take a pic of #bikepron

I guess I need to check out this Icon ventilated jacket because I can't imagine weather my A* perf leather jacket at anything above 25C.
Seeing it in person myself I found the perforation holes noticeably bigger than most other sportbike jackets and they go all the way through the leather without getting small, honestly feels like one step away from a mesh jacket when at speed. Yah it still definitely gets hot at stoplights / stop and go, which I think can't be avoided for any jacket, but again I don't sweat much at all though personally, so what is 25degrees C to me may feel like 30+ to others... my parents are Filipino so my heat tolerance may come from my tropical climate descendancy :D

Really? You call yourself a real rider? ?

via Tapatalk
Nope. Never did. I have much to learn.
Googling now.

That HJC CL17 is super comfortable for me and is exactly my head shape (intermediate oval/roundish). CL17 is one of the few that have size XXXL to fit my solar-eclipse sized noggin, which is why it looks kinda bobbleheaded! And fully agree'd those Spiderman and Venom HJC RPHA 11s look sweet! I heard the new 11's fit small though so most likely wouldn't fit my cranium :(

I did recently get a good deal on the outgoing RPHA 10 in this graphic,

its much more of a race fit (aka tight on the face) but MUCH lighter than the CL17 and reviews say its alot more stable at speed and better suited for the tuck position.

I'm 99% sure the CL/FG series do not fit the same as the RPHA 10 (the RPHA runs more oval than the CL/FG), sounds like you're somehow just inbetween the two so find both wearable

I'm 99% sure the CL/FG series do not fit the same as the RPHA 10 (the RPHA runs more oval than the CL/FG), sounds like you're somehow just inbetween the two so find both wearable
Or just tried a size that was too big, and it felt comfortable.

Ok, so what exactly is the appeal of these socks? Looks like I can get the same from Under Armour or compression socks.
As a person with diabetes, I need to be careful with my sock choices.

Yep you're totally right, the CL series fits closer to round, where as the RPHA 10s fit closer to oval, from my experience as well. And yah where my head I'm pretty sure is closer to round (as well as ridiculously huge lol), the differences between these two head-shape I found are minimal enough that both can work for me (I plan on using my CL17 as my comfort/everyday/commuting, the RPHA 10 for trackdays(hopefully)/aggressive riding.

Or just tried a size that was too big, and it felt comfortable.

Aha yes also completely correct! I found my CL packed in alot more than I expected (I read after the fact that some HJCs are notorious for this). Where it was a good tight fit everywhere when I got it, it's now no longer close to the same after breakin (especially on the cheeks I feel I have more room than I should.) So I was able to size down to a XXL in the RPHA10, and while pretty tight around the head and especially the cheeks (which I was expecting it being "race fit"), I'm fairly confident after breakin it should fit perfect.

Ok, so what exactly is the appeal of these socks? Looks like I can get the same from Under Armour or compression socks.
As a person with diabetes, I need to be careful with my sock choices.

Funny I've never heard of them being referred to as socks, only base layers and "under armours"... or a for a nerd reference me and friends familiar with Lord of The Rings books calls them Mithril aka the undershirt Frodo wore underneath his armours:whax:.
Anyways main benefit is sweat wicking bringing sweat to the surface and cooling you via the evaporation effect, versus staying soaked into cotton clothes. This could be bro-science but myself and many others swear by it that it cools you MUCH better than a regular cotton clothes underneath. Secondary benefit is if your like me and like your gear snug, once you get all sticky/sweaty (helps a bit for jackets, but especially for 1/2piece suits), it helps your gear slide off alot easier, with no contortionist maneuvers involved!

And yes just buy underarmour, way cheaper than motorcycle branded base layers, with the same or better quality, and IMO more stylish and you can double purpose wear when working out. speaking of which there's also many benefits for the gym with compression gear, like preventing DOMS, but since this is a motorcycle forum no need for those details.

Back
Top Bottom