Thoughts on these gear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on these gear?

Toronto

Shoei RF-1200 vs. Arai Corsair X?

Dainese Avro D1 Leather?

What would be the best looking helmet between the Shoei RF-1200 or Arai Corsair X with the Dainese Avro D1 Leather Jacket in Anthracite (Grey). I will be riding my R3 (Blue) for the first time this upcoming season.

1. Shoei RF-1200 Valkyrie (Black/Grey) with Avro D1 (Grey)

2. Shoei RF-1200 Flagger (Black/Blue) with Avro D1 (Grey)

3. Shoei RF-1200 Flagger (Black/Blue) with Avro D1 (Blue)

4. Arai Corsair X Russell (Super flashy, blue with crazy graphics, you gotta check it out on GPBikes, RevZilla, etc) with Avro D1 (Grey)

5. Arai Corsair X Russell with Avro D1 (Blue)

To use on an upright bike like the R3, I'd get the RF-1200 by default. The Corsair is a racing helmet and the eyeport location/angle is designed to work in a full-tuck position on a proper sportbike. The Shoei is likely quieter than the Arai as well.

Now, between the Valkyrie and Flagger graphics, I'd go with the Flagger all day every day. Very sharp-looking and I think it'll age better than the busy Valkyrie design.

Last edited:

Dainese Avro D1 Leather?

What would be the best looking helmet between the Shoei RF-1200 or Arai Corsair X with the Dainese Avro D1 Leather Jacket in Anthracite (Grey). I will be riding my R3 (Blue) for the first time this upcoming season.

4. Arai Corsair X Russell (Super flashy, blue with crazy graphics, you gotta check it out on GPBikes, RevZilla, etc) with Avro D1 (Grey)

Best looking? Who's opinion do you value the most?

Go with what fits best. Both protect well.

Dainese Avro D1 Leather?

I like option #2. But honestly either #1 or 2 is good just preference. That avro d1 looks nice. Where were you gonna buy it?

If you aren't gonna spend the same if not more than the cost of the R3 in full leathers, race-spec gloves, boots and base layers, and most importantly motorcycle socks then seriously, just don't ride. ATGATT.

Here's what I do:

Black helmet, black full suit, black gloves, black boots =P

In all seriousness, I would get the cheaper helmet to start with. Helmets "expire" after 5 years (or 3? I forgot) and race tracks won't let you use 'em if they do inspections (depends on track day host). It would be incredibly ****** if you bought a $1000+ race helmet and have it expire when you want to use it.

The one that fits best. Get light colours that differentiate you from other traffic, and feel cooler on the hot summer days. The last thing you want to worry about is matching your bike colour. It may not last long, and then you're on the slippery slope.

Like others have said, whichever helmet fits the best is the one you get.
As for the colours...no one who rides gives a crap. Only those that don't ride may care, but they're more likely to make fun of your bike and or riding skills before they make fun of your colour coordination skills.

+1 Get what fits and protects. After a while you end up with all the colours in gear. I have lots of black, red/white/black, yellow, blue/white/blue and even some orange gear.

Helmets don't expire after 5 years. It's just that they are no longer warrantied by the manufacturer and/or the track day/race organizers may want one with the latest Snell rating(updates every 5 years).

If you aren't gonna spend the same if not more than the cost of the R3 in full leathers, race-spec gloves, boots and base layers, and most importantly motorcycle socks then seriously, just don't ride. ATGATT.

Dw. I'm planning to get everything. Dainese 4 Stroke Long Gloves/ Torque Out Boots/ and the Chargers Jeans (it's going to be too hot for me to ride in a full leather suit, I'm just gonna go for the Charger Jeans from Dainese, it comes with tons of protection already in it I believe).

Practicality issues aside, you'll look like a doofus (or worse) wearing a full suit riding around town

These are gears that you change with a pedal...this is gear that you buy with your hard earned cash. Sorry...pet peeve of mine.

Your money, but I wouldn't buy gear that "matched" the color of my bike.. most especially an R3 that you'll outgrow in short notice.

These are gears that you change with a pedal...this is gear that you buy with your hard earned cash. Sorry...pet peeve of mine.

I mean you buy gears with your hard earned cash too if you destroy your transmission

Your money, but I wouldn't buy gear that "matched" the color of my bike.. most especially an R3 that you'll outgrow in short notice.

Don't think one can really "outgrow" an R3 when in Toronto.. Unless you're a larger person that is...

I have all black gear, but I subconsciously regret buying dark gear when riding at night... For safety..

OP - You're looking for the "best looking" gear when you should really find gear that fits properly, then look into color options.

Also looks like you're shopping online for these products which I would highly recommend not doing especially when buying gear for the first time. Different helmets are shaped for different shaped heads.
At the very least, go somewhere that carries the same model, and if they don't have the color you want or are overpriced in comparison, order online knowing that you've tried it and it fits.

Last edited:
As others have said, fit is more important than looks. As with fit, biggest mistake people make is getting baggy gear. Everything should fit as snug as it can without being uncomfortably tight - it shouldn't fit roomy like your typical non-riding pants/jackets. The more snug your gear the more likely the armour will stay in place in a fall and less likely the leather will bunch up and tear through.

Where colour comes in is if that is what makes or breaks it with you choosing to actually wear the gear. You can buy the best fitting, most protective gear, but if you choose not to wear it for vanity reasons, you might as well not have even bought it :laughing5:

Also don't be afraid to wear full gear/suit etc on the streets... Who cares what others think or say how you look, if you're comfortable wearing a full suit, its your body you're protecting so more power to you. Again, protection and fit is more important than looks (even though most modern gear looks great anyways BTW)

Back
Top Bottom