Ontario Liberals in Action | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Liberals in Action

I applaud this type of legislation because as others have said these crooks are going to further and further lengths to scam people out of their money. I can't even count how many times these guys would come to my parents house and try to get in or see the bill, then try to threaten because 'they work for the gas company and you can't deny access' type of ********. I always tell my mom (mid 60s) to just close the door, and if anything call me as we live nearby. They try to see a copy of your bill and then memorize/write down the number and sign you up...F that...even last week we had a guy at our townhouse. When I started closing the door he blocked it and said he needs to come in. No thank you.

I'm glad that it's now easier to cancel these types of contracts because it's getting ridiculous.

I applaud this type of legislation because as others have said these crooks are going to further and further lengths to scam people out of their money. I can't even count how many times these guys would come to my parents house and try to get in or see the bill, then try to threaten because 'they work for the gas company and you can't deny access' type of ********. I always tell my mom (mid 60s) to just close the door, and if anything call me as we live nearby. They try to see a copy of your bill and then memorize/write down the number and sign you up...F that...even last week we had a guy at our townhouse. When I started closing the door he blocked it and said he needs to come in. No thank you.

I'm glad that it's now easier to cancel these types of contracts because it's getting ridiculous.

If he was at my door and blocking it, and attempting to get in, he would not not be standing long, a swift knuckle sandwich to the face would have stopped him cold....

But it's not illegal to sell, nor to be a scam artist. I can probably sell you something you don't need, am I being opportunistic or criminal? Perhaps just persuasive?

Plus screw this, if I wanna waste my money let me. It's not illegal to knock on my door or call my phone (no call list has been a dismal distaster), so I won't support this. Main reason is its not enforceable so it's a waste of my tax monies. I always have the opportunity to not answer either of these unsolicited chats.

For the record buy a good vacuum cleaner, and yes I still use granny's Filter Queen. Darn thing is bulletproof, for me it's a no brainer. False economy is buying into something that doesn't work, and now you have to buy a good one. See it all the time in motorcycling, saving $50 on tires (hockey pucks) will cost you thousands in a crash.

Last edited:
The scams go much deeper than simple door-to-door sales and gullible people. The furnace and water heater guys have a few angles beyond let me see your bill.... First they will make it look look like they are from the gas company, they will come in and "inspect" your furnace ("I am from blah blah gas and we need to inspect your furnace and water heater"), then they will find some little thing wrong (code wise, real or not) and threaten or actually shut-off your gas (in winter), then the high pressure sales of a new furnace for only xxxx per month, install tomorrow. If you are not on to the scam it is pretty easy to be taken.

They have even stepped it up, as people keep catching on to the scam:

They called our house (instead of cold knocking) and got my wife, they made it sound like they NEEDED to book an inspection appointment and would not take no for an answer, and THEY said they are coming tomorrow at 8PM. She got the return number, I called back and left a message that they were not to set foot on our property.... guy never showed of course. It was not the real gas company, scammers all the way.

Personally I am good with this legislation.

This!

I had one try that and made himself seem legit (id's and linking to Hydro/Enbridge), came in and checked the gas water heater vent and said it's the old code.
I did a quick google and saw he was a scam. I wasn't going to do it anyways, just wanted to see what water heater guy would have to say about my unit.
After that I can see how ppl can EASILY be taken.

Even the legit companies pull a bit of a scam. For example, if you have an older furnace on record with them, they send you a letter saying that the furnace is in poor condition and should be replaced under one of their plans. Never mind the fact they have not set foot in the house to do any inspection in years.

False economy is buying into something that doesn't work, and now you have to buy a good one.

My old man use to always say "It's cheaper to buy good tools. You only buy them once.".

I wonder if I invite the furnace guy in and he 'falls' down my basement stairs..... does he then go after my homeowners insurance? I miss the old days

But it's not illegal to sell, nor to be a scam artist. I can probably sell you something you don't need, am I being opportunistic or criminal? Perhaps just persuasive?

Plus screw this, if I wanna waste my money let me. It's not illegal to knock on my door or call my phone (no call list has been a dismal distaster), so I won't support this. Main reason is its not enforceable so it's a waste of my tax monies. I always have the opportunity to not answer either of these unsolicited chats.

Well said. This is the crux of the argument. More feel-good legislation with no teeth and no enforcement.

If someone "scams" you into a contract I believe the law has a cooling-off provision which you can use to get out of it within X days, so we're already covered in that respect.

If someone fleeces you for cash or your credit card at your doorstep, these laws will do absolutely nothing for you because whoever just stole your money certainly didn't use their real identity or anything traceable back to them.... so what's the point?

Feel-good nonsense.

Educate your parents and grandparents. Spread the word and create awareness about these scams. Two brutally simple rules: 1) Don't let ANYONE into the house and 2) Don't sign anything at your doorstep, EVER.

Done.

I wonder if I invite the furnace guy in and he 'falls' down my basement stairs..... does he then go after my homeowners insurance? I miss the old days

Aren't all employees supposed to be covered by WSIB?

A WSIB covered employee gets compensated by WSIB not by the end user or the employer.

Well said. This is the crux of the argument. More feel-good legislation with no teeth and no enforcement.

If someone "scams" you into a contract I believe the law has a cooling-off provision which you can use to get out of it within X days, so we're already covered in that respect.

If someone fleeces you for cash or your credit card at your doorstep, these laws will do absolutely nothing for you because whoever just stole your money certainly didn't use their real identity or anything traceable back to them.... so what's the point?

Feel-good nonsense.

Educate your parents and grandparents. Spread the word and create awareness about these scams. Two brutally simple rules: 1) Don't let ANYONE into the house and 2) Don't sign anything at your doorstep, EVER.

Done.

Ornge, OHIP billing, Hydro, Insurance, In House Law enforcement issues etc.

The fools in office can't fix their own house and they want to renovate yours.

It's like when someone wants to borrow your tools because they broke their own. Why would you loan tools to someone who breaks them?

Last edited:
If these task force positions pay in the top 10%, kickback to the the people by way of .gov will be substantial - chaching. Of course you don't get a high paying task force position without going to high cost university double - chaching. And of course the interest on overinflated student loans goes back to the banks who employ people in the 1%-5% earning category. Triple chaching. We need more high paying .gov task force jobs, obviously.

Would it be Ontario Liberals Inaction, then?

Back
Top Bottom