Alpinestars Leather Jacket Elbow Rub | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alpinestars Leather Jacket Elbow Rub

arogal

Picked up and Alpinestars GP Plus R perforated leather jacket at the bike show last weekend. The jacket fits like a glove, but the velcro piece that seals the elbow armour pouch is exactly where the tip of my elbow rests (1/4 inch raised strip). The GP Pro and Jaws both did the same thing. I also tried a jacket 1 size up and it did the same thing, only the arms were a bit too long and there was slack in chest/back. It's not painful, but is somewhat of an annoyance because when I bend my arms it wants to dig into the elbow skin. .
Has anyone had a similar issue with an armored jacket? If so, did it soften up once the jacket broke in? Or did you come up with some sort of remedy?
Thanks!

Last edited:
You can change out armour.

I have an issue with 1 piece suits, John Bickle usually replaces any pieces that don't fit. Shoulder cups are usually the worst, as I am female and simply don't fit into the armour, yet the suit does fit reasonably well.

One other suggestion is layering underneath (kinda like double layer running socks prevent blistering).
www.bickleracing.com

You can change out armour.

I have an issue with 1 piece suits, John Bickle usually replaces any pieces that don't fit. Shoulder cups are usually the worst, as I am female and simply don't fit into the armour, yet the suit does fit reasonably well.

One other suggestion is layering underneath (kinda like double layer running socks prevent blistering).
www.bickleracing.com

Hi meme!
The armour molds to my forearm/elbow perfectly...it is the velcro stitched into the pocket which holds the armor is irritating. Fortunately when i am in riding position it is not as bothersome. More-so bothers the skin when i bend my arms (touch my face, put visor down etc). If It it was stitched in 1 inch higher/lower there wouldn't be an issue. I will consider getting something from bickleracing or some under armor hot gear/cold gear for warm/cool days to prevent direct skin contact.
PS - Icon Jackets did not do this, but they felt very cheap in comparison to any alpinestars.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Ahh in that case bring it to someone that knows how to sew and explain or learn how to yourself. Linings can usually be altered easily.

I figured it was an armour/position of problem hence recommending John. I quilt - I can fix fabric but not leather (and no I won't fix your jacket).

I'm thinking of maybe putting some double sided tape between the armor and the mesh pocket. This way I will be able to position where the velcro sits and it wont move down the sleeve of the jacket while putting it on. I'll let you know how it works.

might not work once it get's hot and it will make a mess
consider taking to a tailor or shoe repair, have them sew a piece of nylon over it or you sew in velcro nylon cover

might not work once it get's hot and it will make a mess
consider taking to a tailor or shoe repair, have them sew a piece of nylon over it or you sew in velcro nylon cover

Exactly what I was going to recommend any tailor should be able to sew some sort of softer material over top of the velcro nylon. (doesn't have to be pretty, no one will see it unless your sleeve is turned inside out...lol) During warm weather any sort of tape adhesive could become an issue.

I think I will do that. Got the jacket for cost (saved $250), so an extra $50 or so won't hurt. I'll see if he can just re-locate the velcro position an inch higher/lower. This way my elbow won't be resting on anything. My arms are a weird length, I hate it!
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I think I will do that. Got the jacket for cost (saved $250), so an extra $50 or so won't hurt. I'll see if he can just re-locate the velcro position an inch higher/lower. This way my elbow won't be resting on anything. My arms are a weird length, I hate it!
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Did you try to alter your arms?:D

Did you try to alter your arms?:D

HA! Not yet, but I was considering taking a dremel to the elbow :rolleyes:. Just going to remove the velcro all together. It serves no purpose as the piece inside it goes both below and above the opening....its not going anywhere. If the elbow armour was to come out of the pocket while wearing the jacket, that would be a clear sign that it is WAY too big.

You could try sewing a leather 1-2oz patch over the velcro. The leather is smooth so your elbow will slide over it, but thick and stiff enough that you will not feel the velcro. Velcro is stiff and does not get softer with use. Skive/thin the leather edge from thick to nothing. The elbow area will be hard to properly sew. A shoemaker will have a patcher sewing machine that can do it.

To test this cut some thin leather from something like an old and damaged leather jacket/sofa and use double sided tape for a temporary fix. Try it and see if it solves your issue. After you can sew it to the pocket top.

Last edited:
You could try sewing a leather 1-2oz patch over the velcro. The leather is smooth so your elbow will slide over it, but thick and stiff enough that you will not feel the velcro. Velcro is stiff and does not get softer with use. Skive/thin the leather edge from thick to nothing. The elbow area will be hard to properly sew. A shoemaker will have a patcher sewing machine that can do it.

To test this cut some thin leather from something like an old and damaged leather jacket/sofa and use double sided tape for a temporary fix. Try it and see if it solves your issue. After you can sew it to the pocket top.

That's a great idea!!

Don't know where you're located but the shoe repair place at the South Common Mall in Mississauga is great for both shoe and leather repair in general. Had a pair of JR boots with soles that separated. Guy removed and re-glued both soles for $10 each. A year late they're still going strong. He did the same for a pair of Wind River winter boots a few weeks ago and charged $10 total.

Back
Top Bottom