EZ Drain Valves | GTAMotorcycle.com

EZ Drain Valves

DoubleJ

Just a enquiry, has anybody used this devise (EZ Drain valve) on their bikes. Sometimes it is just a pain in the arse to get the plug then the oil pours all over some sub structure etc. Example is the CB 500 with over 3 litres of oil just fires it back over the centre stand and swing arm area when plug is removed! Others probably similar to this design I would suspect.

I have one on my lawn tractor and have a perpetual fear of it opening when I'm doing the lawn. May or may not ever be an issue, but I can't see myself putting one on my motorcycle. Don't need that concern running through my head while riding.

Never tried one but they look interesting

fumoto-valve-mechanism.jpg

Just a enquiry, has anybody used this devise (EZ Drain valve) on their bikes. Sometimes it is just a pain in the arse to get the plug then the oil pours all over some sub structure etc. Example is the CB 500 with over 3 litres of oil just fires it back over the centre stand and swing arm area when plug is removed! Others probably similar to this design I would suspect.

If you're talking about an old CB500 four, its likely easier to drain it while its on the side stand.
Then when its empty and the plug is back in, pop it up on the main stand to do the filter removal and refilling.
Some bikes are just like that.

I've got one on my car and it is convenient. Get the one with the hose nipple on the end so that you can easily direct the waste directly into a jug rather than a catch pan. The lever lock is rather stiff and seems very unlikely to jar itself loose on the road, but you could wire it closed if you are paranoid.

Note that the valve extends out about an inch further than the regular drain bolt, so it might be vulnerable if you have low ground clearance to begin with. I probably wouldn't use one on a bike if the drain bolt is unprotected by the exhaust or bodywork. On my car the drain exits almost completely horizontal so the valve doesn't extend downwards much and is well protected.

I have used many of these on multiple cars, and on 1 motorcycle. I have never had a problem with them in easily over 100K km combined. It is a lot harder to turn the valve open and closed than you think. It is not nearly as easy as say on a ball valve for water with a large handle for leverage. I have always had to use pliers to open the closed valve. So don't worry about small debris and what not opening the valve on you. If you hit something hard enough to open the valve, odds are, you would be damaging something anyways. So it boils down to clearance.

If you have a downward facing drain, these valves are typically not recommended for obvious clearance issues. But if your drain is horizontal, it should be fine.

And like Ash recommended, get the fitting with the nipple that allows you to clip on a clear hose to it. Makes draining straight into a bottle very easy on a car that is on a jack stand. On a motorcycle, you will likely need a smaller jug that isn't as tall, or a lift to get the same ease of use.

The only minor drawback I find is because the orifice is smaller in diameter, it does slightly effectively raise the lowest point of the drain hole slightly meaning slightly more old oil remains in the pan. But we're talking a very minor amount. And if you really care, pouring a little new/fresh oil in with the drain open usually flushes out more old oil, and I do this on all my oil changes regardless.

Basically, works great on cars because you usually have more clearance around the drain hole to actually fit the valve and the drain hose when in use. Works well as well on motorcycles if you can fit it (often headers or other things are in the way).

And beyond safety wiring, there is also a spring clip you can use that blocks the valve from opening.

All good and interesting discussion. Its a new CB500 F. Drain is horizontal out the back. Just a messy operation, especially with the large quantity of oil the sump holds. Thanks all, that quick fit one is interesting also.

Last edited:
Can someone post a cost for one of these things for a sport bike?

I couldn't get it to post a price.
Would like to get one, much easier to drain oil especially on road trips.

The Fumoto ones are generally around $15 US each give or take which model you need and whether you get the hose with it, or the safety circlip, etc.

Can someone post a cost for one of these things for a sport bike?

I couldn't get it to post a price.
Would like to get one, much easier to drain oil especially on road trips.

Are they conspicuous? I would be afraid some vandal would notice it while I'm parked, and let my oil out.

Are they conspicuous? I would be afraid some vandal would notice it while I'm parked, and let my oil out.

In all honesty, there are easier and more obvious ways to **** with a bike.

First of all, the valve is not particularly easy to swing open and closed. I have to use pliers, or at a minimum gloves, to open mine.

Secondly, if you add the safety circlip, I guarantee they won't be able to open it unless they have some decent pliers with them.

These look like it takes exactly the same amount of effort to use a regular drain plug???????????

These look like it takes exactly the same amount of effort to use a regular drain plug???????????

No need to worry about stripping and also no need to worry about a big catch pan.
Hell, bring your filter and some gloves you can change your oil right in CT parking lot and give them your old oil on the spot :)

I've had the Fumoto valve (first one pictured) on my car for over 10 years without any issues. Makes changes a lot easier as I really don't need to even go under the car to do it (can also access the filter through the passenger wheel well on mine).

For the bike, there was a clearance issue, so I got the Stahlbus mentioned above instead. So far so good, and apparently it is 'track legal' at least to some specs (according to their site I think), if you buy the optional race cap and run safety wire through it. Only thing with the Stahlbus is you need to use a second piece to get it to drain, so make sure you never lose that part (I keep mine with the filter wrench and extra oil).

I've had the Fumoto valve (first one pictured) on my car for over 10 years without any issues. Makes changes a lot easier as I really don't need to even go under the car to do it (can also access the filter through the passenger wheel well on mine).
I use a fluid extractor pump on my car and suck the oil out the dipstick tube. Much easier and cleaner than going under the car. I don't know why everyone doesn't use this method.

I use a fluid extractor pump on my car and suck the oil out the dipstick tube. Much easier and cleaner than going under the car. I don't know why everyone doesn't use this method.
This.

Back
Top Bottom