Any feedback on the Michelin Power Cup EVO or the Power Slick EVO | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any feedback on the Michelin Power Cup EVO or the Power Slick EVO

Xrayhonda

Does anyone have any experience using the 2015+ Michelin Power Cup EVO or the Michelin Power Slick EVO. The articles that I’ve read so far states that they both use the same compound and that the only difference is that the Power Slicks has a racier profile for quicker steering and handles multiple heat cycles better that the racing slicks.

used the slick all year, i was able to reach the limits of the rear(full lean edge grip) but not the front. heat cycled well, i would get about 60 good laps then 40 more playful laps. i.e good= 106's pro track playful= 107-108
the real grip was when i got on the ultimate's. WOW its got edge grip. but you can not let it cool down, it must be driven hard right from go. Battled hard with Leon and Deccache all year, It was a tire war of old.

We worked with racepro171 all year and he sure taught us a lot. Heat is your friend. The tire works and last but as he says don't let it cool down. I think I can safely say it has changed the tire warmer demands and should you neglect to address this you will not get the full benefits of the tire.

The ultimate slick is not for tooling around. it is meant to attempt track records. it requires to be bare min 80c wants 100+

I should clarify, the EVO is a great tire that cycles well, lots of fast laps in it, Just for me, the Ultimate version was my choice because of the competition i was up against.

A few of the pros at SOAR switched from Dunlop and Bridgestone to Michelin(slicks) and all seem to like it a lot. Everybody seemed to get better tire wear, longeity and a bigger setup window to work with.

I don't have much experience with them so that's really all I can say.

as you described, the window on the evo is very large, the ultimate? not so much. you better know what your doing before slap a set of these on.

Heard great things about the Michelins, was planning on making the switch from Dunlops until CSBK announced the grand bend round.

the set up from dunlops to michelin, for me was only pressures. I used to be a michelin guy and went to dunlop then back to michelin, if you have good wear. no set up changes needed.

Does anyone know the circumference or diameter of the Power Cup Evo tires? I need to know for a 120/70 front and 180/55 rear so I can make the necessary adjustment in ride height since switching to Dunlop slicks. Thanks!

Just to add...

For those of us who are not as fast as Jim and can't keep the tire as hot as he does. The Power RS is a fantastic all around tire, it has the same compound as the Power Cup EVO, and in conditions like last year where there was often a little dampness on track, they offered lots of grip and great feed back.

Not a slick, but an option for those looking to run Michelin and who dont have spare wheels for rains and slick. Or who are like me and are just a little to slow for slicks.

Just to add...

For those of us who are not as fast as Jim and can't keep the tire as hot as he does. The Power RS is a fantastic all around tire, it has the same compound as the Power Cup EVO, and in conditions like last year where there was often a little dampness on track, they offered lots of grip and great feed back.

Not a slick, but an option for those looking to run Michelin and who dont have spare wheels for rains and slick. Or who are like me and are just a little to slow for slicks.

This is great info as I have been looking at my options for this upcoming season. I was thinking of GPA pros, R10's or the RS; any comparison? New to track specific DOT tires and figured I would start there before moving to slicks.

Edit: What is the on track difference between the Michelin Power RS and Power Cup?

Last edited:
This is great info as I have been looking at my options for this upcoming season. I was thinking of GPA pros, R10's or the RS; any comparison? New to track specific DOT tires and figured I would start there before moving to slicks.

Edit: What is the on track difference between the Michelin Power RS and Power Cup?

not a fan of the GPA pros you need to keep them real hot to get them to stick, friend of mine used the R10's before he switched over to full slick and had nothing but good things to say about them, never tried the RS so no opinion

I dont feel like I can give you a proper answer, because I am not very fast.

But I went from the PR3 to the Pilot Power 3, to the Dunlop Unbeaten to the Power RS. The RS had by far the most edge grip and lasted well. (Although the Nelson Round killed it pretty good)

I was also the only person in my Class running the Power RS. (Others on RS10s, and Super Corsas) and they are faster, however...its very much the rider.

Just an FYI on tires. On any new tire, what you knew and did is pretty much old school now. The best wear and best life of any of the new generation tires is done with good tire set up. There are no real corner cutting methods any more. You need serious heat and heat that is placed properly. The entry level heat numbers of 3 years ago are not even in the game numbers today. The tires are designed to go hard fast and loose heat faster then they will make heat. The days of off the warmers and a couple comfy laps ,, are gone. You will loose heat and not get it back. So mind your tire rep's hot tire pressures and monitor your off track temperatures and pressures. The better tires work well and last with due diligence. When we sent riders out hotter and adjusted the pressure to suit, we usually came back off the track hotter. We have seen tires off the track 10-15 degrees hotter then two years ago. People who struggle come off cold and pressures wrong. You have to pay attention to get the performance and wear.

Last edited:
Switched from Dunlop slicks to the Michelin slicks at the last 2 rounds of SOAR.

Liked them alot. The rear hooks up good with much better tire wear and less finicky about pressure from what I was used too. The front is a little softer so I upped the pressure to get the feel I wanted out of it but otherwise solid. The rear had more usable hard laps than the dunlops, and the front dropped off quicker. Overall very happy with them.

Switched from Dunlop slicks to the Michelin slicks at the last 2 rounds of SOAR.

Liked them alot. The rear hooks up good with much better tire wear and less finicky about pressure from what I was used too. The front is a little softer so I upped the pressure to get the feel I wanted out of it but otherwise solid. The rear had more usable hard laps than the dunlops, and the front dropped off quicker. Overall very happy with them.

How many days would you expect someone to get out of the Michelin's(slow end of Group A)? Narrowed it down to GPA Pro's or Power cup's..unless someone else can suggest a better alternative.

How many days would you expect someone to get out of the Michelin's(slow end of Group A)? Narrowed it down to GPA Pro's or Power cup's..unless someone else can suggest a better alternative.
Trackday pace you would get a couple days no problem. Again I don't have experience with the DOTs so your mileage may vary. Really hard to say as it depends on pace and what you are willing to put up with in terms of wheel spin and sliding when they wear out.

The whole reason I started on Dunlops was the mileage you get out of them. You still get an initial drop off at race pace but they hold at 90-95% for a LONG time. The fronts will go square before falling completely off in my experience. 400 laps on a front is not uncommon. The rears last about half that. We use whatever cheap/free Dunlop scrubs we can find on our endurance bike for that reason. Last forever at a good amount of grip and slide predictably even when they are really hosed.

I would say try one set of each and evaluate yourself. Both will get the job done fairly equally. Beginning and end of the season the Michelin will be a better choice as the Dunlops hate the cold.

Last edited:
Since there are 4 types of Michelin outright track tyres -
1. Power Cup Evo
2. Power Cup Ulitmate
3. Power Slick Evo
4. Power Slick Ultimate

If I were chosing my next set of tyres, which track tires from Dunlop or Pirelli do each of these matchup with?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom